Thread: Whats up with Kuemper?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Whats up with Kuemper?

Washington has a great sched for the first week of our league playoffs, they play every off night. I’m thinking about a trade for Kuemper, maybe even giving up Markstrom to get him, since having 4 off night games would be huge. But a quick look at recent usage is concerning. Is it as simple as an injury in November and then a weird run of back to backs, or is he in a legit timeshare with Lindgren or whatever his name is? The one with the wicked moustache.

If he’s not a 70/30 starter, it probably doesn’t make sense to trade for him regardless of his juicy playoffs sched.
    Thanks in advance

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Whats up with Kuemper?

Kuemper hasn’t looked good. He does have a history of injuries, but to my knowledge he is healthy. Lindgren has stolen more and more starts from him, and I wouldn’t be superseded if Lindgren continues to do so. If Lindgren is available for cheaper, it may be forth adding him instead of Kuemper?

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by zambronies View Post
    Kuemper hasn’t looked good. He does have a history of injuries, but to my knowledge he is healthy. Lindgren has stolen more and more starts from him, and I wouldn’t be superseded if Lindgren continues to do so. If Lindgren is available for cheaper, it may be forth adding him instead of Kuemper?
    This was true prior to his injury, and in the first few games following, but not lately.

In the last 3 he’s been stellar - around 1.6 GAA and .950 Sv%.

The issue is Lindgren has also been solid so they’ll probably stick with a tandem, but I’d also not be surprised if slowly you see Kuemper get back to playing 2 of every 3.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    This was true prior to his injury, and in the first few games following, but not lately.

In the last 3 he’s been stellar - around 1.6 GAA and .950 Sv%.

The issue is Lindgren has also been solid so they’ll probably stick with a tandem, but I’d also not be surprised if slowly you see Kuemper get back to playing 2 of every 3.
    I don’t disagree with your points, but I would like to see a bigger sample size than 3 games to say he’s turned it around. Of those 3 games, one was against the worst offense in the league. The 3 games prior to that, he was pulled against Arizona, lost to Vegas, and his only win in that stretch was against a terrible Anaheim team where he still allowed 4 goals.

If I owned Keumper I would be trying to sell him right now and use the arguments in your posts to try and drum up interest. Since the OP inquired about acquiring Kuemper due to the Capitals schedule during OP’s playoff period, I would say that I would not trust Kuemper or the Capitals to get wins, and would need to see much more from him before having any confidence in him.

Dobber Sports Ace

It will be a tough matchup, but looks like Lindgren got the start over Keumper again today. It will be interesting to see if he can capitalize on it or not.