Thread: Senators fire DJ Smith: Martin named interim HC

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Senators fire DJ Smith: Martin named interim HC

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Senators fire DJ Smith: Martin named interim HC

And the assistant coach Davis Payne fired.

It's actually pretty interesting they chose now to fire him.

They are in the middle of a road trip, and need to travel to Arizona and Colorado this week. And back in Ottawa for the 23rd, then in Toronto on the 27th for their first game post Christmas. I've always understood teams prefer to fire a coach while at home so he can remove his stuff that day and it's less disruptive for the team. They chose, the middle of a road trip lol. Such an Ottawa move somehow.

He deserved to be fired, even weeks ago. But a week+ ago when they were in the middle of a homestand was the better time to do it. Not when you now make your ex-employee fly across the country to empty their desk.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Alfredsson joining the bench staff too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Time for a change for the Sens. Brutal.

Dobber Sports Initiate

The second they announced Martin coming in as an advisor; it spelt the end for Smith.
    He was there to advise himself on what was going on with the team and be ready to take over for the rest of the season.
    12 team Card Hockey League. Use stats from last NHL season ex: 2022-23 stats will be used for our 23-24 season cards
    Fwds: MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Rantanen, M Tkachuk Scheifele, Marchand, B Nelson, Stephenson, J Toews, R Thomas, Lundell, E Rodrigues, Sissons, Lowry, M Foligno, D Guenther, Mangiapane, Pacioretty, Huberdeau, Wheeler
    Dmen: Makar, D Toews, Dobson, Sergachev, S Jones, Graves, Carlo, Gudas, Byram, Girard, Thrun
    Goalies: Vanecek, Francouz, Samsonov

The Great One

I feel for Martin. Korpisalo is a BADDD goalie.....like just plain bad. I said it before the season and he's only underscored it. I think Forsberg could work out; but this might become like what happened in Dallas a few years ago when they thought it would be Holtby and Khudobin but it ended up being Oettinger. And Sogaard, though indeed young and having slowed after a scorching start in the AHL this season, still might be worth a look.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    this is aweosme!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I like this.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    And the assistant coach Davis Payne fired.

It's actually pretty interesting they chose now to fire him.

They are in the middle of a road trip, and need to travel to Arizona and Colorado this week. And back in Ottawa for the 23rd, then in Toronto on the 27th for their first game post Christmas. I've always understood teams prefer to fire a coach while at home so he can remove his stuff that day and it's less disruptive for the team. They chose, the middle of a road trip lol. Such an Ottawa move somehow.

He deserved to be fired, even weeks ago. But a week+ ago when they were in the middle of a homestand was the better time to do it. Not when you now make your ex-employee fly across the country to empty their desk.
    While i mostly i agree with you, its Christmas Season coming up, i dont think they wanted to fire him day or 2 before. I mean its already too close to Christmas but at least he got few days to cool off...i actually like this move if they were going to do it this year...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    While i mostly i agree with you, its Christmas Season coming up, i dont think they wanted to fire him day or 2 before. I mean its already too close to Christmas but at least he got few days to cool off...i actually like this move if they were going to do it this year...
    Ya my thought was why not last week. They hired Martin Dec 6 or something, you knew he wasn't coming in to help Smith, why not let Smith go last week before this road trip? The team is just a mess. You have a new owner who let their GM and Head coach go mid-season. An organization who had a bad relationship with their Franchise Star Daniel Alfresson, who is coming in with little experience coaching to coach a team with 11% playoff chance? A 71yr old who hasn't head coached in like 10yrs coming in. Like, people his age need help signing into the WiFi....And he's in control of a team who's stars are born in 1998 or earlier.

I wonder if there's a written or unwritten rule around firing coaches during the Christmas Roster Freeze for the players. Because that's starting tmo at 12am. But ya, Smith needed to be fired, but why not last week lol. And why Martin? And I think the assistant head coach that wasn't fired is in control of their defense, which hasn't been good.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

There's definitely an unwritten rule about not firing people around the holiday season unless it's for a cause that is behavioral, but that's not a NHL thing - it's a real world thing.

I've seen firings timed to affect the holidays for people, sometimes out of malice, sometimes out of not thinking at all. I can say that it generally reflects badly on the person doing the firing, unless there's a behavioral reason. Don't get me started on firings that are timed that way due to spite; I've gotten to know that some people I worked with are trash humans who need to be removed from the organization due to that.

I do think that the fans were fine firing Dorion, due to the bad job as GM, which was likely exacerbated by the prior owner. Also a GM has very little to do with the day to day situation with the team, unless they are an extreme outlier.

They did need a change, and I guess that the timing is related partly to when Martin was up to speed.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.