Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hurricanes waive Raanta

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Hurricanes waive Raanta

The Gibson rumours don't make sense to me. The canes resigned Andersen and raanta cause they wanted to give kochetkov one more year to marinate in the minors. That didn't work out so well but he's their long term plan, at least in a tandem with another cheap goalie. Gibson is signed forms few more years and not cheap at all. Unless there's a lot of salary retention...

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    The Gibson rumours don't make sense to me. The canes resigned Andersen and raanta cause they wanted to give kochetkov one more year to marinate in the minors. That didn't work out so well but he's their long term plan, at least in a tandem with another cheap goalie. Gibson is signed forms few more years and not cheap at all. Unless there's a lot of salary retention...
    Getting salary retention is the only way I see Carolina doing this. Their MO is getting cap-retained, undervalued players but if Anaheim is willing to retain enough to make Carolina interested, other teams (NJ, Edmonton, Buffalo, Toronto) would probably beat their offer. This just doesn't feel like it would set up for Carolina. They'd probably stick around to see what the price is but like they so often do, not close the deal.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

Mid-season goalie team changes are rare, and they don't seem to ever work out when they happen. That would be my only fear with that for teams needing goaltending (Carolina, NJD).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Ya, I just put his name out there as a potential option, as I think he is just that.

As far as his numbers go, ask any goalie and most will tell you playing the position is 80% mental and 20% skill. Gibson hasn't lost his skill but probably has lost his mojo playing for a bad team for years. Sometimes a change in scenery, playing behind a better D, will help him find his juice again. Maybe it's just a change in goalie coaches in his ear. Look at what Jonathan Quick is doing in New York this year with goalie guru Benoit Allaire in his ear.

Either way, you are all probably right that his contract will stop them from taking him on, but I dont think it's his numbers the past few years that would scare them off.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."