Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Puljujarvi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Puljujarvi

Why was my post deleted where I quoted this yahoo? I mean I know why he deleted his- its the most vile thing I've ever read on a forum- but why is mine deleted?

And no "Strong Arms" (thats what you went with?)- I am not this emu poster. On top of that I've never said anything remotely.offensive on your board- outside of maybe that Puljujarvi was a speculative add- lol! At the end of the day- I work, I have kids- im not signing on for all this. The part thats really mind blowing is how many people reached out to say they ignore this guy too, and how toxic he is. Look at the crap he just said??

But whatever- i was literally just trying to talk about my fantasy team- lmao!

And don't grab puljujarvi yall- hes a bum!!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by StrongArms View Post
    100% Emu - No doubt about it
    Who cares?

As for the topic, Puljujarvi is not worth an add unless you can keep him in your minors while he starts playing in the NHL. If you have to activate him right away, chances are he won't produce and you will be wasting a main roster spot.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I love when people say stuff like CaveatEmptorer is.

“Don’t make emotional decisions” - let’s be clear, he’s clearly making a positive emotional attachment. Half the posts in the thread are his and 10 paragraphs of text, mostly not analytical - that’s an emotional decision

“I love when other GMs make X consistent mistake for me to benefit” - outliers dude. For every 1 outlier where the Flyer chance works out, there’s 10 who don’t. You’re probably not bragging about holding on to Filato, or Yakupov, or Patrik Stefan, etc. People always remember the hits and have selective memory about the significantly larger number of misses.

Outside of that - depending on league and roster size, sure you should take a flier on Puljujarvi. I wouldn’t recommend it for the OP, but realistically someone in his 16 team, 25 roster, 15 farm league should be.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I love when people say stuff like CaveatEmptorer is.

“Don’t make emotional decisions” - let’s be clear, he’s clearly making a positive emotional attachment. Half the posts in the thread and 10 paragraphs of text, mostly not analytical - that’s an emotional decision

“I love when other GMs make X consistent mistake for me to benefit” - outliers dude. For every 1 outlier where the Flyer chance works out, there’s 10 who don’t. You’re probably not bragging about holding on to Filato, or Yakupov, or Patrik Stefan, etc. People always remember the hits and have selective memory about the significantly larger number of misses.

Outside of that - depending on league and roster size, sure you should take a flier on Puljujarvi. I wouldn’t recommend it for the OP, but realistically someone in his 16 team, 25 roster, 15 farm league should be.
    You've completely missed the point.

Not adding a player because of who he is is an emotional decision. I have a chance to add him because others won't...

And yes 9 out of 10 times they won't work out- I doubt Puljujavi will- but in my league he warrants a speculative add. I wasn't saying you're DUMB not to add him- I'm saying I love that people won't just because of the embarrassment factor- that leaves more opportunity for someone who doesn't care. Why do I care that that list of players you said didn't pan out when I've found two guys that have. There are even more out there that I didn't add to my roster.

If you don't add a player because he burned you or youre invested in him NOT making it- you're doing a disservice to your fantasy team. Stop doing that and you can add the odd gem- ots pretty much that simple.

And sure if you're in a small league or no bench- you have to be more careful thats fine. Im in an 18 team league with a 30 man team and a large farm- when I see posts like this saying "oh God no"- I get a kick out of it because there are guys in MY league who feel that way. You can hate on my advice all you want but I promise you- the only thing this strategy has done is added value to my team.

My intent is not to shame anyone or say their opinion os wrong- its to say "check your motivation. IF you can afford to add a player like this speculatively- why are you passing? Is it because you can't afford the roster space? Fine- thats fair? Is it because you're worried someone will laugh at you or youre holding a grudge against a ayer for letting you down (it happens all the time!!)- then maybe re-think that.

Or dont- lol- don't care anymore...

Dobber Sports Titan

I would say adding Puljujarvi is an emotional add, and not an analytical add as he's done nothing stats wise that would show he's worth much. And that's before a double hip surgery. In his best year he was something like a 40pt guy (which would be roster worthy but not game breaking in the OP league), and that was with getting a lot of opportunities. Now, post hip surgery, I can't see him doing much early enough to eat up a roster spot.

It's the equivalent of adding Alex Nylander at this point because he signs a PTO with like Tampa. Or Tyson Jost with like Vegas (obviously these are hypotheticals). If it wasn't for their draft position, they wouldn't even get more than a tweet about their signing.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by CaveatEmptorer View Post
    You've completely missed the point.

Not adding a player because of who he is is an emotional decision. I have a chance to add him because others won't...

And yes 9 out of 10 times they won't work out- I doubt Puljujavi will- but in my league he warrants a speculative add. I wasn't saying you're DUMB not to add him- I'm saying I love that people won't just because of the embarrassment factor- that leaves more opportunity for someone who doesn't care. Why do I care that that list of players you said didn't pan out when I've found two guys that have. There are even more out there that I didn't add to my roster.

If you don't add a player because he burned you or youre invested in him NOT making it- you're doing a disservice to your fantasy team. Stop doing that and you can add the odd gem- ots pretty much that simple.

And sure if you're in a small league or no bench- you have to be more careful thats fine. Im in an 18 team league with a 30 man team and a large farm- when I see posts like this saying "oh God no"- I get a kick out of it because there are guys in MY league who feel that way. You can hate on my advice all you want but I promise you- the only thing this strategy has done is added value to my team.

My intent is not to shame anyone or say their opinion os wrong- its to say "check your motivation. IF you can afford to add a player like this speculatively- why are you passing? Is it because you can't afford the roster space? Fine- thats fair? Is it because you're worried someone will laugh at you or youre holding a grudge against a ayer for letting you down (it happens all the time!!)- then maybe re-think that.

Or dont- lol- don't care anymore...
    1) So not adding Derek Ryan is an emotional decision? What about Mackenzie MacEachern? Jake Furlong? Grant Hutton? When is it an emotional decision and when is it just a decision? When you apply your personal biases to the situation and decide so?

2) “9 out of 10 times it won’t work” “the only thing this strategy has done is added value to my team”. I mean functionally those two statements cannot both be true. At best, 9 times out of 10 it has been neutral value to your teams. Then if the player you have to drop because of the speculative add ends up having more value than the speculative add, it’s had negative value to your team. Now, all you need to do is have one significant hit for the positive value to outweigh the cumulative negative value, but unless or until you get a hit you’re almost certainly running cumulative negative value on these.

3) Even now you keep saying “check your motivation”, I would suggest to you check your biases. None of the posters said no because they had been burned in the past by Puljujarvi, so your assumption that their responses are emotional is flimsy and entirely based on your own internal biases and nothing more.

All the people responding to the poster gave what is likely to be sound advice. Very unlikely the speculative add of Puljujarvi would be a smart decision by the original poster. The point of the thread is to help the original poster. Now just because the advice doesn’t apply to your team and your league doesn’t change that.

And FWIW, no Puljujarvi does not have a “ton” of potential. What he did at 19 at a junior tournament doesn’t matter. If you took an honest evaluation of his skillset for what he has shown in the NHL, the skills that allowed him to be dominant at lower levels are not dominant at the NHL level, and the skills that were passable in lower levels are not NHL passable. That’s what happens in ~most~ prospects who don’t pan out. Puljujarvi is very unlikely to ever play with 87 or 71, and even if he does he was unable to make it work with two other generational players. He has received lots of opportunities with elite talent and he just can’t hang. He is a very serviceable bottom 6 player but he simply is not an elite talent breakout waiting to happen.

EDIT: One last thing. Everything you’re saying people were saying in the offseason about Jonathan Drouin. Who went to a better situation with better opportunity with his best friend from junior AND Drouin had shown more in the NHL. He was even drafted the exact same slot! And in the right situation making a speculative add for Drouin was a smart call. But nobody who doubted him is eating his words now, and the OP similarly doesn’t have anyone they should drop to add JP.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    1)

EDIT: One last thing. Everything you’re saying people were saying in the offseason about Jonathan Drouin. Who went to a better situation with better opportunity with his best friend from junior AND Drouin had shown more in the NHL. He was even drafted the exact same slot! And in the right situation making a speculative add for Drouin was a smart call. But nobody who doubted him is eating his words now, and the OP similarly doesn’t have anyone they should drop to add JP.
    The first part of this is ridiculous- youre just raging bud. You want to argue whether a former 4th overall has a "ton" of potential- find someone who wants to discuss that- i dont- lol!

I'll respond to this though- Drouin is a great example. He was a speculative add. He didn't pan out so you drop him- no harm no foul. Another name you could have used was kuzmenko- and you would have added 38 goals. Sometimes they hit- series they don't.

My point is if you're NOT adding him because he let you down before or because you don't want to be embarrassed youre doing your team a disservice. Thats it.

If you don't add him because you don't have the room for a low probability play- then you don't do it- its not complicated- lol! And thats the crazy part I'm not even saying hes anything close to a guarantee- im saying hes a longshot as a 60+ point player!! If you can afford to roll the dice though- why wouldn't you?? I just sort of love that people wouldn't because of... social stigma? Its pretty wild.

I dropped Cal Petersen for him. If and when he doesn't pan out- ill survive. If you are in a similar position and you pass because either:

A) You added him before and he let you down so now youre holding a grudge or...

B) you don't want your league/forum mates to clown on you...

Then youre missing out on a potential opportunity. I'm not saying he WILL make it but there is a lot around his situation that muddied the waters here and the bottom line is that nobody is going to eat their hat if he carves out a career as a 60 point forward either. If you've got better propositions then go that route by all means but if you want to just say JP will never pan out I need a better reason then "because I trusted him before and he let me down" or "because if he falls flat my buddies will make fun of me adding him".

I feel like youre projecting a lot here- I just said "emotional" reasons are not a good reason to avoid a player. If you have league format or roster reason to avoid him- by all means avoid him. If you truly believe he's just a checking line scrub- avoid him- it doesn't matter to me. My whole point is that people DO avoid players like these for "emotional" reasons and when they do it is a fantastic opportunity to acquire value. You want to mitigate your risk- im not advocating you drop a player of value- i wouldnt drop sharangovich or zetterlund at this point- but if you have the spot for a pure gamble im just NOT saying no because there's some stigma attached- literally my only point..

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

The first part of this is ridiculous- youre just raging bud. You want to argue whether a former 4th overall has a "ton" of potential- find someone who wants to discuss that- i dont- lol!

I'll respond to this though- Drouin is a great example. He was a speculative add. He didn't pan out so you drop him- no harm no foul. Another name you could have used was kuzmenko- and you would have added 38 goals. Sometimes they hit- series they don't.

My point is if you're NOT adding him because he let you down before or because you don't want to be embarrassed youre doing your team a disservice. Thats it.

If you don't add him because you don't have the room for a low probability play- then you don't do it- its not complicated- lol! And thats the crazy part I'm not even saying hes anything close to a guarantee- im saying hes a longshot as a 60+ point player!! If you can afford to roll the dice though- why wouldn't you?? I just sort of love that people wouldn't because of... social stigma? Its pretty wild.

I dropped Cal Petersen for him. If and when he doesn't pan out- ill survive. If you are in a similar position and you pass because either:

A) You added him before and he let you down so now youre holding a grudge or...

B) you don't want your league/forum mates to clown on you...

Then youre missing out on a potential opportunity. I'm not saying he WILL make it but there is a lot around his situation that muddied the waters here and the bottom line is that nobody is going to eat their hat if he carves out a career as a 60 point forward either. If you've got better propositions then go that route by all means but if you want to just say JP will never pan out I need a better reason then "because I trusted him before and he let me down" or "because if he falls flat my buddies will make fun of me adding him".

I feel like youre projecting a lot here- I just said "emotional" reasons are not a good reason to avoid a player. If you have league format or roster reason to avoid him- by all means avoid him. If you truly believe he's just a checking line scrub- avoid him- it doesn't matter to me. My whole point is that people DO avoid players like these for "emotional" reasons and when they do it is a fantastic opportunity to acquire value. You want to mitigate your risk- im not advocating you drop a player of value- i wouldnt drop sharangovich or zetterlund at this point- but if you have the spot for a pure gamble im just NOT saying no because there's some stigma attached- literally my only point..
    Your point here is you’re just rambling and running in circles, don’t have any real point or have much of an idea of what you’re talking about, and now saying other people are projecting lmao

Dobber Sports Prodigy

No- just the same old boring point sadly- none of the exciting stuff you said. I said- and have been saying that of you avoid this player because you're embarrassed or holding a grudge you probably effed up. And im gonna have to stick by that. I almost wish I was worked up or biased but im not- puljujarvi isn't even the best play like this out there lol- but I have to insist that if you have room then not roatering him.for emotional reasons is just not sound logic. Im sorry guy! I dont know what to tell you- lol! I almost wish I was carrying the torch- lol! You want a fight real bad! But nope- just a boring old message that emotional decisions aren't winning ones- all i got...

Dobber Sports Deity

No- just the same old boring point sadly- none of the exciting stuff you said. I said- and have been saying that of you avoid this player because you're embarrassed or holding a grudge you probably effed up. And im gonna have to stick by that. I almost wish I was worked up or biased but im not- puljujarvi isn't even the best play like this out there lol- but I have to insist that if you have room then not roatering him.for emotional reasons is just not sound logic. Im sorry guy! I dont know what to tell you- lol! I almost wish I was carrying the torch- lol! You want a fight real bad! But nope- just a boring old message that emotional decisions aren't winning ones- all i got...
    If you stop replying to him, maybe he'll stop too. You're just as bad by continuing to argue about it. Click the ignore button on him if you don't want to see his posts.

Let it go.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If you stop replying to him, maybe he'll stop too. You're just as bad by continuing to argue about it. Click the ignore button on him if you don't want to see his posts.

Let it go.
    Agree with this.

CaveatEmptorer - welcome to the forum. It is a great place to talk hockey and get advice. Unfortunately not all posters or responses will be productive. Sometimes people are just looking to argue, get the thread off topic, or may just have bad advice (not specific to this thread, just in general). It’s a great place, but like Axe said, sometimes the best thing to do is to ignore those responses. Not worth the time and energy to get worked up about.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Deity

You do realize as a mod I can open and read your deleted posts, right?

If you didn't know that, surprise!

And feel free to ignore me too if you want.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You do realize as a mod I can open and read your deleted posts, right?

If you didn't know that, surprise!

And feel free to ignore me too if you want.
    Surprise? Why do I care? I took them down as a courtesy but sure- power move guy!

Yea ill block you...

Dobber Sports Deity

Surprise? Why do I care? I took them down as a courtesy but sure- power move guy!

Yea ill block you...
    It's not a power move, it's, as you say, a courtesy to let you know that mods can read deleted posts so maybe think before you hit submit here.

Have a good day.