Thread: Is Luke Hughes a ''sell high''

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Is Luke Hughes a ''sell high''

As weird as it sounds. He's an amazing young player but I've never seen a case like this one.

Both his brothers are saying he's the best of the bunch.
    He is playing PP1 over Hamilton
    Jack Hughes is always looking for his brother on the ice, sometimes it's almost ridiculous. Luke likes to crank his one timer wich is so predictable yet Jack passes it to him almost 100% of the time.
    He gets among the most offensive-zone starts on his team
    Now there's Simon Nemec that just got there and he's tearing shit up with minimal PP time

Would Simon Nemec be on the PP1 if he was Jack's brother?
    Hell, would Hamilton be on PP1 if he was Jack's brother?

I feel like he's in a perfect situation to thrive -for now-

Am I the only one that feels I could miss an opportunity to sell high on him?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Is Luke Hughes a ''sell high''

Hamilton is out for a long time, perhaps the rest of the season.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sell high at your own risk... There are only a few d-men with this potential in fantasy hockey and you don't trade them. Too rare. I feel like as soon as you'll trade him, you'll be looking for another d-man like him.

He's on pace for 50+ pts in his first full season and this is only the beginning. The Devils are going to be a powerhouse for years to come, and Luke Hughes will be a big part of that. He already has the upper hand on Hamilton (who's injured) for offensive situations and I feel like Nemec will be deployed in a more all-around role on that blue line.
    11 teams keeper league. Points only.
    We start 12 F + 6 D + 2 G.
    Protect 11 skaters or 10 skaters + 1 goalie each season.
    Goalies : 2 pts for a W, 3 pts for a SO + 1 pt for an OTL.

Roster for 2023-24.
    F : Bedard, Stützle, Bratt, Boldy, Benn, Byfield, Perfetti, Kuznetsov, Kempe, Stephenson, Seguin, Danault
    D : Q. Hughes, Seider, Hutson, Harley, Durzi, DeAngelo
    G : Sorokin, Kochetkov
    Bench : Larkin, Stone, Hayton, Sergachev, Korpisalo

Dobber Sports Wizard

it really depends what sell high means...

u get Bedard or J Hughes type and yes you sell...you get Colley and 1st rounder, i probably hold...

Will be interesting to see how things shake up in NJ...both Hughes and Nemec are fantastic and Hamilton has most experience of the 3 and is also great.

Reminds me a bit of the situation in Ottawa, but i think its one level above talent wise in NJ when it comes to defensive trio.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The problem there ad i see it- and forgive the terminology here but im notnsure how else to.say it "armchair GMing"- those are a lot of big assumptions about Jack Hughes and the predictable one timer. Is his brother looking for him a little bit? Quite possibly but I dont think its to the point where it's having a dramatic affect on his production- the effect is probably pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things. Thats sort of the argument here if im honest- you're taking all these small problems and sort of zooming in on them like crazy- lol!

The bottom line is that defense is a hard position to learn and play at the NHL and it will take te for.him to hit his ultimate upside. That upside looks.to be enormous though- his D+1 year was very special and there was no jack holding his hand there! I think if anything you look at that situation and you chalk it up to the good- in the short term he's going tonget every single opportunity to show why he's special and thats a lot more than a lot of ayers get! As an owner thats music to. our ears!!

And what is said upside? Well Hamilton has been a divisive own because he's had injuries and bouts of mediocrity (often based on questionable deployment)- but when the stars aligned he was shooting, scoring goals, and manning poweprlays with machine like efficiency. If you take Hamilton peak year last year and make that the "norm" as opposed to the "outlier" thats what you could/should be getting with Hughes if everything goes according to plan. It was never going to be in year one though. With all the favorable deployment I think next season you'll see a slight improvement and its the following year where you have to buckle up...

Dobber Sports Star

I don't see a situation where Luke Hughes is a sell high.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It depends on what you're being offered. I'd be willing to shop him, and see what you get in return.

There are obviously players I'd rather have, so if one of them shows up, you consider it.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

In terms of young prospects, it's only Fantilli, Carlsson, or the 2024 1OA that I'd give up for Hughes. I fully expect Hughes to be a 70+ point player in another season or so with a very high floor. Maybe if you're in a bangers league you might want to sell high based on your team.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think this is a situation where you vent but don't tinker lol! I mean if you can land a gamebreaker today then sure- but otherwise it looks like just a matter of time for Luke...

The Great One

To me a “sell high” is someone whose numbers are un-sustainably high and you capitalize by getting an overall better player in return. Like Boeser or Carcone right now. Luke Hughes is a blue chipper whose value should steadily continue to rise. And by value I mean value to a fantasy roster, not just trade value. Keep him.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch