Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Juraj slafkovsky

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Juraj slafkovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Check Quinton Byfield & Tage Thompson's stats post-draft.
    How many NHL points did they have by their 20th birthday?

That's the type of patience you need to have with big-framed players.
    Do they pan out?

Depends.
    A lot of people gave up on Byfield, Thompson, as well as guys like Dylan Strome just way, way too early.

He actually has more even-strength points this year than Logan Cooley.
    Agreed. Power forwards and larger framed players historically take awhile longer to find their game at NHL level

Zacha and Lawson Crouse are 2 more that come to mind who are only recently breaking offenaive ground. Both were all over the place in the 2015 draft ranking. That was arguably the greatest draft year of all time for high end talent. But both 6 foot 4 power forward types in draft scouting. Zacha has pretty much given up trying to be a power forward but he's coming along

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by CaveatEmptorer View Post
    I'm not sure it goes much past this season tbh- Slaf looks absolutely dominant right now and maybe more importantly he's playing with skilled players on the topline. Now I'm not especially confident he sticks there ALL season which is why I agree Konecny is certainly the play this season

BUT

By next year youre looking at a worst case scenario of L2 (1b??) with Dach and Newhook and a very real.chance he just sticks on the topline. If that happens Slaf will be producing as much as Konecny by next year and the amount of upside here is extreme. I just read the article about trading number ones and there are some valid points in there but you need to take it on a case by case basis.

Look at Byfield as a comparison- very different playing styles but its not a bad reference point based on body type. They took their time with him- admittedly much better for his development because they could afford to (and maybe because LA can tune out their rabid fantasy a little better lol!)- but for better or worse by this season Slaf will have two seasons where hes learned to keep up to the NHL pace, learned first hand the rigors of an 92 game season and maybe most importantly for him to keep.his damn head up. Hes shown flashes of dominance recently and in the pre-season which suggests to me that while he may not be a "finished product" next year- he'll have learned enough to play in the NHL. If the habs use him.on a scoring line with legit deployment- youre not going to see the same growing pains you saw with Byfield in terms of making a fantasy impact. I'm not talking about being a superstar right out of the gate either: im saying there's a very reasonable chance he can score 55ish or 60 next year- thats pretty dang close to what Konecny is providing already. Its a pretty narrow window. Next year all bets are off because when these guys decide they're ready to pop- its time you for the fireworks lol!

I'm not saying konecny is a bad player but in a dynasty hes an attainable player. When Slafkovsky pops he won't be. In fact I liked the article today- disagreed with it but enjoyed it nonetheless- ut my issue is that in a dynasty when are you going to get an elite star player in a trade?? If you're in a good league- you just dont lol! So sure I get the complaint about timeline and how.it always ends up being longer than we think/hoped BUT unless you're going to.give up on rostering superstars or just hope like crazy you can add a Marchand off waivers every decade or so- you sort of have to suck it up.

I own slaf and if i ever moved him for here and now help im aiming a lot higher than konecny- and if that doesn't happen- well... I guess I keep him til next year when the difference between them will be negligible- lol! Just my take though heavily biased by my own experiences, valuations and league format....
    it is a 16 team dynasty. I could probably get him to add a 2024 1st rd draft pick. Probably 10-12 range 2024 prospects.
    16 Team Dynasty
    G A PPP PIM SOG HIT
    W GAA SV% SO
    C(2)TThompson,CBedard,AFantilli, JEichel
    LW(2)DVoronkov,JSlafkovsky,WEklund, PLaine
    RW(2)LRaymond,KMarchenko,BMcMann,DMercer, AHoltz,JRoy
    Def(4)JTrouba,CAddison,LHughes,JDrysdale, RSandin,MSergachev
    G(2)KVegmelka,JWoll,FSandstrom
    Farm:ANikishin,OZellweger,ASilovs,SCossa,
    YAskarov,LReichel,DJiricek,MMichkov,JPoirier,
    DMateychuk,JFirkus,DHildeby
    1st Rdrs x 4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by CoolandDeadly View Post
    it is a 16 team dynasty. I could probably get him to add a 2024 1st rd draft pick. Probably 10-12 range 2024 prospects.
    I personally wouldn't.

Michael said it in the ramblings this morning- people in fantasy seem to have developed a habit of giving up on prospects way too early- call it the "Yakupov Effect" if you will. The problem- aside from it not being the outcome.so.many tumes- is that along the way you start hearing these big statements like "I dont care where he was drafted this uncoordinated oaf is never scoring more than 55 points in the NHL!!". You take a players game roght now and you make these extrapolation whereby they'll be lucky to score even a modest number of.points. I'm not saying you're doing that but I have to think reading some.of that may have affected your position here...

And thats just not how development works.

Slaf is a young player- probably shouldn't even be in the NHL amd almost certainly shouldn't have been last year. Any extrapolation from that is such a ludicrous sample selection. Furthermore he was always going to take a long time to develop as a (read: VERY!) "big man" which makes these expectations and subsequent projections even more confounding.

He might not get there as others have said in this thread but let's talk.about where he could very well get.

A 6"4 behemoth power forward who can clear out space for his own wicked shot OR Caufields. A natural goal scorer who ends up on a toplime with either Dach or an improving Suzuki. A net front presence on a pp that is already running on all cylinders with MM but could.improve again if Hutson develops the way many scouts believe he can. A monster who.can ragdoll the toughest opposition. A guy who looks.like he'll fight, hit, or take penalties when need be and be a leader on the ice.

Would you trade Rantanen for Konecny? Would a first make a difference? Better question: could you even trade for Rantanen right now? In many leagues you just could NOT get a player like that.

Now he might not be the BEST 1st oa we've seen in the last few years but he was taken there because thats what MTL sees long term- and they're doing literally everything they can to get him there. The good news is that today he looks like.hes well en route.

If you were one konecny away from a title- maybe you consider it (with the first!)- but thats not going to be the case very often. You do not want to wake up one day amd see Slafkovsky as one of the leagues most pre-eminent power forwards... on another team!! If you do I can promise you the little engine that Konecny amd a 12th oa pick will not help.you feel better- lol!

I've heard the argument for trading all your high upside players but in my experience nothing beats watching one of your picks develop I to a bonafide star right in front of your eyes!

Thanks for the reassurance. I got Slaf and a 1st for my Konecny.
    16 Team Dynasty
    G A PPP PIM SOG HIT
    W GAA SV% SO
    1st Rdrs x 4

Dobber Sports Veteran

So the Slaf seems finally to pan out …Never bet against Hughes.
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Immortal

Where are the Habs fan. Is this for real?

Dobber Sports Icon

Habs fan here - there is another thread on Slaf, where I added some comments. He is legit, and that’s not just looking at his stats, but having seen him play live close-up on several occasions. He is learning how to use his big frame, and finally more confident about using his underrated hard and accurate shot. The combination of tools is tantalizing, because perhaps his greatest skill is his passing ability, bolstered by his puck hunting and protection. Now, as for trading him now for Konecny, I’m not so sure, only because he has lots more years of prime opportunity ahead of him, but Slaf is definitely for real and he’s doing all this before hitting 20. he is a rare breed, a very big player who gets it earlier, and this can break out well ahead of the usual time frames. So I would not at all see that trade as a bad one, depending on your circumstances.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Slafkovskys best trait is his ability to improve and were seeing that now. All the changes in his game are from staying coach able and sticking with it after being thrown in the deep end by the team lol! I personally have no doubt he will continue to improve and be a great player in this league. He broke a bunch of habs records this week and were seeing the tip of the iceberg!
    Weekly changes- protect 6-12 each year determined randomly- and the rest stay on board so.its like a pseudo dynasty. 2c, 3w, 1ff, 4d, 2g

The scoring is skaters: g4, a2, sog 1, pim 0.25, st+1, and +/- 1 for forwards and +/-3 for defense.
    Goalies: W6, L-2,sv0.3, SO 3 and player scoring for G and A.

Rebuilding
    C- Hughes, Carlsson
    W- Laf, Slaf, Michkov, Buchy
    D- Weresnki, L Hughes, Clarke, Xhekaj
    G- Swayman, Wolf
    B- Wright, Sharnagovich, Tolvanen, Mangiapane, Schmid, Other Junk
    Farm- Michkov, Holtz, Stankoven, N Robertson, Cristall[, Cossa

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by CoolandDeadly View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance. I got Slaf and a 1st for my Konecny.
    That is an awesome deal for you, nice!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Habs fan here - there is another thread on Slaf, where I added some comments. He is legit, and that’s not just looking at his stats, but having seen him play live close-up on several occasions. He is learning how to use his big frame, and finally more confident about using his underrated hard and accurate shot. The combination of tools is tantalizing, because perhaps his greatest skill is his passing ability, bolstered by his puck hunting and protection. Now, as for trading him now for Konecny, I’m not so sure, only because he has lots more years of prime opportunity ahead of him, but Slaf is definitely for real and he’s doing all this before hitting 20. he is a rare breed, a very big player who gets it earlier, and this can break out well ahead of the usual time frames. So I would not at all see that trade as a bad one, depending on your circumstances.
    This gets me excited.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    This gets me excited.
    I’m excited too - I get to see him close up again tonight (Rangers @MSG)!

Listen to this TSN 690 (Mtl) spot with McGuire. Slafkovsky talks about the players he models his game after - Rantanen (who played at Turku where Slaf played) and Hossa:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-69...page-1.2076098

And the much more likeable Gord Miller earlier talked about his excellent passing and how that makes him especially dangerous because teams have to respect his shot.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I try to watch as much as Juraj as I can.
    In the WHL fantasy league, I had to choose (as most with the #1 pick did) btw Slaf & Cooley & Wright.
    I went with Slaf because I simply believe NHL scouts are smarter than us... so to pick a Winger over two Centers - they saw something enormous there.

He has been really coming along this - his 2nd - season.
    He reminds me so much of Tage Thompson - in that he sort of "looks slow" out there... but he's not.
    A bit like watching a giraffe... looks a bit lanky/goofy - until they come into their own.

His shot is going to be incredible.
    But the non-highlight stuff is really looking good: decision-making with & without puck, spacial movement (where to be, when to be), even his pace is coming along faster than I expected.

I mean... he's looking very Draisaitl/Rantanen-ish right now.
    It's exciting.
    (especially since I, personally, have NEVER really, really hit on my top draft picks: incl. 2016-2 Patrick, 2020-2 Byfield, 2021-1 W.Eklund).

What Hab fans know, especially, is all the plays that don't get to the highlight reels (i.e., not a Slaf shot or G/A) are plentiful... in a PER GAME sort of way.
    And he has had a LOT of good ones this season... probably 3-5 per game... offensive things that *could* have ended up in a point/goal.
    And he also has been having a LOT of defensive smart things... maybe 1-3 per game... that are breaking/preventing zone entries.

Very, very good player.
    Incredible how many people on twitter poo-poo-ed this guy during Year1 and the first month (October) of this current season.
    He's real.

Dobber Sports Immortal

This is my new favorite thread.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I try to watch as much as Juraj as I can.
    In the WHL fantasy league, I had to choose (as most with the #1 pick did) btw Slaf & Cooley & Wright.
    I went with Slaf because I simply believe NHL scouts are smarter than us... so to pick a Winger over two Centers - they saw something enormous there.

He has been really coming along this - his 2nd - season.
    He reminds me so much of Tage Thompson - in that he sort of "looks slow" out there... but he's not.
    A bit like watching a giraffe... looks a bit lanky/goofy - until they come into their own.

His shot is going to be incredible.
    But the non-highlight stuff is really looking good: decision-making with & without puck, spacial movement (where to be, when to be), even his pace is coming along faster than I expected.

I mean... he's looking very Draisaitl/Rantanen-ish right now.
    It's exciting.
    (especially since I, personally, have NEVER really, really hit on my top draft picks: incl. 2016-2 Patrick, 2020-2 Byfield, 2021-1 W.Eklund).

What Hab fans know, especially, is all the plays that don't get to the highlight reels (i.e., not a Slaf shot or G/A) are plentiful... in a PER GAME sort of way.
    And he has had a LOT of good ones this season... probably 3-5 per game... offensive things that *could* have ended up in a point/goal.
    And he also has been having a LOT of defensive smart things... maybe 1-3 per game... that are breaking/preventing zone entries.

Very, very good player.
    Incredible how many people on twitter poo-poo-ed this guy during Year1 and the first month (October) of this current season.
    He's real.
    Ok, besides totally agreeing with you (not unusual), I again had the pleasure of a close up view of Slaf at MSG - lower bowl, about 13 rows up, directly in front of the face off dot where Habs shot in the 2nd.

He did so many great things this game - to your point, no one who wasn’t watching closely would ever even know - but he does, and his line mates and coaches do.

His read of plays is way ahead of the curve - way beyond what you could expect from a 20-year old, and already above average for an NHLer imo.

So it’s no surprise he’s scoring and creating off of turnovers and dogged forechecking - and when he’s the high forward he’s really smart at positioning himself to benefit when his teammates cause turnovers.

Case in point, his 2nd period snipe. Look at how he plays good D high in the o-zone, but then immediately presents an outlet for Caufield after the turnover.

Then there’s the shot, it’s a bomb.

And he is FINALLY electing to shoot now, instead of deferring (which to be fair was not a bad strategy, given his passing ability is already above average and pointing to elite). That’s going to make him one of those very rare multiple threat players - I am in no way comparing him to Kucherov, but that’s what makes Kuch so special and dangerous. He’ll never be a Kuch level producer, but he is going to present similar challenges for opposing teams as Kuch, and in the end he may be a better skater. And obviously his size - the Rantanen comparison is not at all off.

Here’s the snipe, luckily happened right in front of me - enjoy!

https://www.google.com/search?q=slaf...NYrKBaYXE,st:0

Wow some really really good in depth comments in this thread. Really glad I got Him & a 1st rdr in 2024 rookie draft for Konechny when most
    poopoo'd it.
    16 Team Dynasty
    G A PPP PIM SOG HIT
    W GAA SV% SO