Thread: W Johnston vs. Zegras vs. Norris

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default W Johnston vs. Zegras vs. Norris

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at trying to buy Zegras and was going to offer either W Johnston or Norris. The OGM renown for only doing trades that he definitely wins but I'm considering this from a keeper standpoint, so I might add a depth player that he would be interest in too.

I've been impressed with Johnston but it'll be next season at the earliest he's moving up the lineup. Norris is recovered from his injury but he's never been close to playing a full season. I think Zegras could get to PPG.

Who has the highest upside in my categories?

Thanks in advance
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Keep 14 plus 4 rookies (under 150 GP) max 18 players
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),
    Goalies: W (2), SO (3), GA (-0.5), OTL (1), SV (0.1)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: W Johnston vs. Zegras vs. Norris

Zegras is also recovering from an injuring so that could benefit you. I would first offer Norris and see where that goes with the trade offer.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think I'd do Johnston but itd be my second offer not my first. I know its hard to see right now but this could end up as an apples for apples trade. I LOVE the idea of targeting Zegras in a rebuild but Johnston is sort of a unique player- he just keeps improving so.damn much and hes already a star player lol! Underrated guy...

Now Norris I think gets a bad wrap in fantasy- we see him as like a clear C2 type but im not sure thats even accurate. I know he's a c2 irl- but he also managed to.score 35 goals as a rookie (!!).and on top.of that he's seeing over 4 minutes on the pp. While I sort of agree hes a 70ish point player for now- i also wouldn't blink if he hit a run and ended up at a point per game- you've got put him.on the short list of guys who can challenge 40 goals in a year- hes a player- lol! Now I absolutely get it- when you're building for the future you want the MOST upside lol- so a safe 70 point guy- which is what he feels like- just isn't cutting it lol! I've moved him for my upside play (in a package for leo)- but I do have to out out the caveat that I second guess moving him all the time lmao!!!

Back to the matter at hand. I would offer Norris for Zegras for sure. I'm notnsure thatd be enough for a normal GM.so.if this guy is one of those "need to win the deal types" - im pretty sure you're going to have to add. Norris to the average poolie is decidedly mid for whatever reason and between injury and not really hitting a hot run- his point totals this year aren't going to move the needle on their own. I'm well aware of how bad Zegras has been but I just dont think you're going to catch anyone sleeping on what hes about.

If im reading your sig right- i think id be comfortable adding a non keeper piece- if you're rebuilding it might be a good time to dangle roo here if his team is competetive this year.

Another interesting angle would be to offer both guys here with some kind.of compensation coming back your way in the form of picks or something. Even if you did it straight up.it looks like.that would allow you to keep Lafreniere- which would be a smooth move. It hasn't been covered a ton around here but he's looked fantastic on a line with Panarin- he looks like a new player tbh- his pace is good, he's driving play, hes keep.up and complimenting one of the highest skill players in the game. His points are sort of hard capped around 55ish without any pp time but if he gets there thats actually a pretty monster season of ES production. By next year- when all the guides publish that info- hes going to be incredibly hard to redraft I'd imagine.

I guess its hard to say without knowing all the details.of.your league but the short version is: id rather have lafreniere and zegras going into.next year then Norris and Johnston and for.me.its not especially close either...

Just my two cents...

Dobber Sports Wizard

dont loose a trade just to get a player you like...its not good asset management...

having said that if you can get Zegras for either one of the two i would do it as i think he has most talent but it may take another year or 2 to show up.

I agree that i would try Norris first..
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

So he countered with my Woll and 1st (8-10 OA) for Zegras.

I don't mind the value as I couldn't keep Woll anyway, but it would mean that I'd have to drop one of my keepers at the keeper deadline to accommodate Zegras. Trades are very rare in this league, maybe 1-2 per season in the entire league so I have to assume that none will be made. At this point I'd be dropping one of Lafreniere, Johnston, Necas, or Laine (just for health reasons).

Is adding Zegras worth the total acquisition cost?
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Keep 14 plus 4 rookies (under 150 GP) max 18 players
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),
    Goalies: W (2), SO (3), GA (-0.5), OTL (1), SV (0.1)

Dobber Sports Novice

I would offer either Norris or Johnston for Zegras.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah he doesn't want either. I'm wondering if the 1st is worth losing as I'd have to drop a keeper at the end of the year so my acquisition cost is higher.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    Yeah he doesn't want either. I'm wondering if the 1st is worth losing as I'd have to drop a keeper at the end of the year so my acquisition cost is higher.
    You have two players from your roster in your signature that stand out as replacements for Zegras and they are Laine and Buchnevich. I am not sure still if I would offer a #1 for Zegras, but if you decide to you do have keepers to drop.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Try and work a deal now to move one of those forwards for something, contignent on the other deal, and then make the combo happen.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.