Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding Targets and Age Limit - Will REP

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Rebuilding Targets and Age Limit - Will REP

Good morning everyone!

I have taken over a team and will be going into a rebuild, it’s a 10-team, 8 keepers, start 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 1Utl 2G and 5 Bench spots. It’s scoring is basically points only (G, A, GWG, and PPP are broken down into PPG PPA SHG cats) with goalies counting for W, GAA, SV% and SHO, and am wondering others opinions as to who would be there top targets for trades or guys who might be FA’s (small league and limited keepers with no minor or NA slots)?

As it stands lots of prospects are sitting as FAs including Byram, Korchinski, Benson, Slafkovsky, Reichel, Maccelli, Knies, Holtz, Eklund, Newhook, etc.

I have yet to rebuild a team as I am new to dynasty and keeper hockey but what would be the max age you’d be looking at to have as a keeper or worth rostering (other than as trade bait)?

Or is a full rebuild in a smaller league with only 8 keepers a silly idea?

Appreciate any advice/opinions and I will rep where possible!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Rebuilding Targets and Age Limit - Will REP

I'm going through a bit of a reset in one of my dynasty leagues, and while it's a bit different as I'm looking to jump back to contention next year, the theory is the same. You have some flexibility to buy-low on players and sell high. If you pick up a few young guys like Maccelli that someone is willing to pay up for at the right time, or if after Eklund's three-point-night someone wants to treat him like he's going to be an 85-point-player next year, you can consider that. On the flip side, I have picked up slumping players like Josh Anderson, Zach Whitecloud, and Dante Fabbro, and they have started to turn it around. Every bit of playing the market like that can help get your team to a better spot of overall value. With a limited keeper setup, keep selling players for moderate pick upgrades, and focus on getting one or two key keepers locked in, then you can take advantage of cheap deals on desperate GMs that have extra keepers to unload in the offseason. Benson is the only guy in that pile that I might consider actually keeping at the end of the year. You want to be keeping top-100 players, and none of the other guys are likely going to be that this year, or even in another year.

Looking at ages, you need to have a window that you're aiming for. As an example, if your core players now are all in their early 20s, so you want to aim to be contending in three years - or at least that would be the first year of your real window. In the meantime, you want to collect players and assets that can help you by approaching their peak value/production in three-year's time. That means top players from the 2022-2024 draft classes would be what you're aiming for. In reality, in a league this shallow, you should be able to turn things around on a slightly shorter timeline.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Would you be able to show your roster? In a 10 team keep 8 this might not take you too long to be competitive, especially if you draft well. I’ve been in keep 10’s and 8’s and as soon as I realize not going to be competitive, I look to trade off older assets to competitive teams for there playoff run. Try and get younger players with upside who are struggling or haven’t hit the full stride yet. Also targeting injured players can pay off for you.

Thanks for the reply. In such a limited keeper/shallow league I assumed there was a reason for so many players like that sitting as FA’s.

Currently as it sits I have some good young players on my roster but they wouldn’t really crack the keeper list. I recently moved Chabot+Toffoli+2024 3rd for Duchene+Durzi+2024 1st.

EDITED TO INCLUDE FULL ROSTER:
    Marner, Bratt, Tavares, PLD, W Johnston, Vatrano, Raymond, Verhaeghe, Duchene, Benn

Hamilton, Durzi, Nemec, McAvoy, Werenski, Sanderson, Montour

6K, Montembault, Merzlikins.

I guess I may as well also throw in here I was first tempted to try and add some “now” players when I first took over as there are some decent options out there either underperforming or being overlooked like Gaudreau, Schmaltz, R Andersson, Bennett, etc. Cozens was also dropped recently so am able to throw a claim in on him if I want to before tomorrow.

Dobber Sports Titan

Sell off everyone except Marner, Bratt, Hamilton and McAvoy. Add Gaudreau and Cozens in case they turn it around, and then you can keep or sell them too. Keep looking for deals like that Chabot one, as that's the kind of thing you need to do, and the first is the only real piece in there that matters to you. I'm not sure who 6K is as a goalie, so a clarification there would be good.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

You have some nice pieces especially on D when it comes to keepers. I don’t think you need a full rebuild. You have roughly 10,11 potential keepers so I’d Make a couple 2 for 1 trades to updrade some keepers at forward. Merz has been playing good, you should be able to get a return for him. Tavares or PLD with merz for an upgrade type trade. Do a couple trades and if you draft well I can see you having a good team.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Sell off everyone except Marner, Bratt, Hamilton and McAvoy. Add Gaudreau and Cozens in case they turn it around, and then you can keep or sell them too. Keep looking for deals like that Chabot one, as that's the kind of thing you need to do, and the first is the only real piece in there that matters to you. I'm not sure who 6K is as a goalie, so a clarification there would be good.
    Appreciate it! And 6K was referencing Luukkonen.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

That "6K" reference needs to go. He's UPL. Period.

As for rebuild,
    General rules in NHL hockey - skaters peak between 25-27 years old.
    The more elite players often peak earlier.
    The really good, but not great player (like, a Pavelski) may peak later.

This factors into a rebuild as you are constantly evaluating your players upcoming "peak" years.
    If their "peak" is going to be on the wrong (older) side of your rebuild target - you may want to move them.

So - it's sort of a case-by-case player evaluation.

Generally, I find - in a league with REALLY KEEN GMs - the best you can do for "adding" future rebuild pieces is 2-3 players per season.
    If your league has more casual fans... you may be able to get to 4 core players per season.

So... in a "Keep 8"... I think it takes you 3 seasons with Keen GMs, working in 2-3 players per season (you probably already have 1-2 solid keepers).
    With casual fans, you may be able to do a full rebuild in 2 seasons + prospect development wait time.

Usually the way to rebuild is this:
    +1 Early (top 3) Drafted Future Star through each draft
    +1 Very good (4th-7th oa) Drafted Future Star through draft - via trade made previous season
    +1 Traded-IN future star through in-season trade (*if you have really keen GMs... this simply may not happen)

[Finding a "keeper" on the waiver wire is EXTREMELY rare if you have good GMs. I like William Eklund... but is he a bonafide top 80 keeper: 8 x 10teams... probably not.]

On that last one, sometimes you have to be very, very sly and patient to make it work.
    In one of my leagues, WHL I late drafted JVR in 2022, his final season with a $7m cap hit.
    I also late-drafted Jon Toews in 2023, his final season with a $12.5m cap hit.
    JVR signed with BOS this summer for $1m... and he suddenly became an attractive piece (in cap league).
    And somebody offered me a 2nd rounder for JVR - and he's playing well - so a very nice win-win trade.
    A few 2nd rounder might allow me to trade in for a late 1st rounder.
    So it's little stepping stones like that... and you try to add them up... and TRY to eventually work towards one key piece.

I will say this (good news) - "partial keepers" are the easiest leagues to BUILD in.
    During the season, you want to look at shipping out your 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th best players... if it gets you a bonafide superstar keeper.
    Some teams will be up for that - they are going for the championship, so downgrading their keepers from 1-2-3-4-5-6 to 1-3-4-5-6-7 is not a bad idea.

These look like unbalanced trade, but they really aren't.
    You can often obtain a currently injured future keeper like this.
    3-4 seasons ago Kucherov was injured to start the season.
    A few seasons ago it was Pasta.
    I saw those guys acquired in trades that were 3-4 solid players, but not superstars.

This year - if available, start asking on Leo Carlsson and Matvei Michkov and Adam Fantilli.
    That's a great start right there on a rebuild.

Trevor Zegras is a fantastic buy-low right now. I'd inquire on him.

The buy-low window on Quinton Byfield has probably closed... but you can inquire.

Jake Sanderson is a great keeper D... the Sens won't be able to afford Chychrun and Chabot in the long-future.
    Sanderson will be the man.

And, personally, I think Slafkovsky is going to be a future Tage/Byfield type.
    You'll have to wait 4 years to truly see his upside... but I (personally) don't think he's gonna be a bust.
    I think he's gonna be a bonafide multi-cat dynamo.

Lastly - don't get hung up on a goalie.
    Just don't.
    There's no sure thing out there for goalies.
    The last highest drafted pedigree goalie was Spencer Knight...
    It's too much of a crapshoot.
    Patch in a good goalie only after you have your skaters.
    (If you are the type that feels a "need" to get a goalie - Askarov (NAS) in the man, IMO - to have on roster.)
    (Askarov has zero blips on his developmental numbers and after this AHL season, he'll have nothing left to prove there. Backup in NAS next year, book it.)

Good luck.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thank you Pengwin7 , I had no idea UPL was being referred to as 6K.
    That’s the trouble with some nicknames.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    4 weekly goalie appearances minimum
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett
    LW: E.Kane, Kaprizov
    LW/C: Draisaitl, Stutzle
    RW: Marner
    RW/C: T.Thompson, Necas
    RW/LW: Svechnikov
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Sergachev, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's a 10 team keep 8 league, and I've honestly never played a limited keeper league in hockey, but it has to cut rebuild times based on my experiences elsewhere.

The good news, that's a roster with some solid keepers.

Keeper options for me of the guys you have would be:

Marner, Bratt, Johnston, Raymond, Verhaeghe
    Hamilton, Durzi, McAvoy, Sanderson
    Plus maybe guys acquired.

I'd grab Benson off FA for Duchene, and maybe a couple more of Eklund, Slafkovksy, Korchinski, as the season progresses.

I'd definitely want to deal Tavares, PLD, and pretty much anyone else for futures.

Like others have said don't worry about goaltending until last, unless you can make a deal for a top 5 guy with mostly non keepers. If say, Tavares, PLD, and Elvis net you a high end goalie, then that works.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    It's a 10 team keep 8 league, and I've honestly never played a limited keeper league in hockey, but it has to cut rebuild times based on my experiences elsewhere.

The good news, that's a roster with some solid keepers.

Keeper options for me of the guys you have would be:

Marner, Bratt, Johnston, Raymond, Verhaeghe
    Hamilton, Durzi, McAvoy, Sanderson
    Plus maybe guys acquired.

I'd grab Benson off FA for Duchene, and maybe a couple more of Eklund, Slafkovksy, Korchinski, as the season progresses.

I'd definitely want to deal Tavares, PLD, and pretty much anyone else for futures.

Like others have said don't worry about goaltending until last, unless you can make a deal for a top 5 guy with mostly non keepers. If say, Tavares, PLD, and Elvis net you a high end goalie, then that works.
    Yes, the 8 keepers I would have picked currently would have been very similar Steve... I said would have because a few of those guys were hard to say goodbye to but went in trades last night lol.

Two trades completed last night sending away: Tavares, Benn, Duchene, Johnston, Raymond, and a 2024 5th.
    Receiving: Kuzmenko, Letang, N. Suzuki, Rossi, Zegras, and a 2024 3rd.

Have a few more trades in the early stages as well.
    32 Team Salary Cap Dynasty - Fantrax
    Start: 12F, 6D, 2G - Scoring: G/A 1, SOG/Hit/Blk 0.1, W/SHO 1, SV 0.05

F:
    Bemstrom, Meier, Danault, Fantilli, Di Giuseppe, Greenway,
    Hischier, W. Johnston, P. Kane, Marchment,
    Palat, Seguin, Blackwell, Merela, Reaves.

D:
    Ceci, DeAngelo, Girard, Liljegren,
    N. Lundkvist, Walman, Schmidt, Emberson.

G: Sorokin, Quick, Kochetkov.

Minors: Arcuri, Misiak, Nesterenko, Perreault, Ponomayov,

T. Robertson, Simontaival, Soderblom, A. Thompson, Unger Sorum,
    S. Walker, J. Wise, Brunet, Hollowell, Honka, Mynio, Nause,
    Commesso, Hamrla, Portillo, Svedeback, Makiniemi.

Updated roster:
    C - Rossi, Zegras, Suzuki
    C/LW - PLD, Vatrano, Verhaeghe
    C/RW - Cozens LW- Slafkovsky
    RW - Marner LW/RW - Bratt
    D - McAvoy, Montour, Werenski, Sanderson, Sergachev, Nemec, Hamilton (IR)
    G - UPL, Levi, Husso

Seems as though D-men are undervalued in this league yet goalies are hoarded lol. I currently now have too many D-men and on top of that Power was just dropped which is tempting to put a claim in but I should probably shed a defender. Although being in last it really doesn't matter as I could hoard the D and use that as leverage to trade someone like Montour/Werenski later in the season and gives me more options when looking at my 2024 keepers. Happy to hear any advice on who to try and move next or what you'd do with the current roster!

F:

D:

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbert View Post
    Updated roster:
    C - Rossi, Zegras, Suzuki
    C/LW - PLD, Vatrano, Verhaeghe
    C/RW - Cozens LW- Slafkovsky
    RW - Marner LW/RW - Bratt
    D - McAvoy, Montour, Werenski, Sanderson, Sergachev, Nemec, Hamilton (IR)
    G - UPL, Levi, Husso
    For me, those are 7 keepers.
    They all have massive upside.

I like Owen Power - but like Bowen Bryam - he's roadblocked by the D1 on his team.
    So... just leave him on the wire.

What you really want to do is tank this team to a #1 overall pick (or #2) and ensure you get one of Celebrini or Eiserman.
    That becomes your #8 keeper (but really, more like a 3/4 type "keeper"... where a guy like Marner is probably a "2").

For me, Suzuki is a guy you look to move - if your league has a Habs fan especially.
    If there is a league Habs fan (or... ask the guy that owns Caufield) - find out if they have any interest in Suzuki or Slaf.
    The Caufield owner is most likely to be interested in those guys.

Assuming your league has draft picks for next year, you need to start asking teams that *might* finish bottom 6 what they want from you to get their draft pick.
    Just ask... to find out.

Your keeper set is... OK.
    Devon Levi has a lot of potential if BUF ever puts it all together.
    He's your hold at G.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think on that list Slafkovsky is worth picking up in a keep 8 and so are korchinski amd Benson but because you don't want to "overload" with a lot.of.young players id just take one and in this case its kk. If you chose Benson I dont think anyone would blame you.

Sorry just saw the update- and it looks.lile you added slaf- perfect! I see 8 badges keepers there:

Rossi
    Zegras
    Cozens
    Marner
    Hamilton
    MacAvoy
    Werenski
    Levi

Some notes:

- Wanted to.include slaf but youve got 3 legit D at the top.of their game. I think slaf is at least a eedraft target in this format- pretty sure any of those D would be scooped up fast!

- I LOVE Levi so I'm.happy keeping him BUT at 21 hes well below the age where we typically see goaltenders thrive. If you could add a more stable net minder as a keeper I think I'd do that. As much as I love Levi amd Buffalo- conventional wisdom says hes still around 3 to 4 years out from making an impact. You CAN roll the dice here but just know that you're rolling dice lol!

- I didn't include Rossi or Slaf but I think there also some sense in keeping one of them over ANY goalie.in a 10 team league and then you try amd redraft guys like Levi or upl or whoever the next hot hand coming up.is (Schmid!!!). That being said its a situation that bears monitoring- if either guy- UPL or Levi- runs away with the starting gig by the end of the season you might want to just hold them. If its still a two or three headed mess I'd opt to redraft.

- Now having three guys with keeper potential that aren't on that list- I have Rossi, Slafkosky, Sanderson missing- makes things a little.interesting especially when you factor in that Cozens is sort of a question mark at this point too. I would be working my butt off to trade 2 of these guys (even three!) for one keeper upgrade and tbh it doesn't even have to make sense in terms.of traditional valuations. Youre only concern right now is your 8 keepers and you sort of have 12 (or more) legitimate considerations. Id be working overtime to flip guys like Suzuki, PLD, Vatrano, Verhaege, Sergachev, Montour- if you could include those guys with any marginal.keeper for a definitive upgrade that is priority a, b, and c! As another poster said- partial.keepers are a great place to consolidate talent! You CAN overpay here as long às its not at the cost of your keeper value. Use that to your advantage...

If you disagree with any of my eight keepers- they're just my suggestion- keep whoever you like but the underlying strategy still applies. I'm huge on a Zaegras rebound but if you're not go a different way. Keeping Rossi off that list was painful.and if im honest I might bump.someone else out lol! Literally every D you own would warrant consideration as a keeper on another teams list- lol! So have fun with that!

Find your 8- and pay literally anything to upgrade them as much as you can- lol! The guys you targeted - slaf, Rossi, zegras- have great futures but a keep 8 means you have to drop.quality every year- just remember to keep them.in mind for redraft!

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    For me, those are 7 keepers.
    They all have massive upside.

I like Owen Power - but like Bowen Bryam - he's roadblocked by the D1 on his team.
    So... just leave him on the wire.

What you really want to do is tank this team to a #1 overall pick (or #2) and ensure you get one of Celebrini or Eiserman.
    That becomes your #8 keeper (but really, more like a 3/4 type "keeper"... where a guy like Marner is probably a "2").

For me, Suzuki is a guy you look to move - if your league has a Habs fan especially.
    If there is a league Habs fan (or... ask the guy that owns Caufield) - find out if they have any interest in Suzuki or Slaf.
    The Caufield owner is most likely to be interested in those guys.

Assuming your league has draft picks for next year, you need to start asking teams that *might* finish bottom 6 what they want from you to get their draft pick.
    Just ask... to find out.

Your keeper set is... OK.
    Devon Levi has a lot of potential if BUF ever puts it all together.
    He's your hold at G.
    Appreciate the input. Those are definitely some of the higher upside on the roster. Bratt for me is an auto keep, other than that pretty similar thoughts on keepers thus far. Hamiltons injury kind of hooped me as I was in talking with another GM.

F:

D: