Thread: How much stock do you put in quality of goalie vs quality of opponent with start sit decisions?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default How much stock do you put in quality of goalie vs quality of opponent with start sit decisions?

This isnt an real example, but if you had to decide between starting Sorokin against Colorado or Kuemper against the Sharks in a Cat league with SV% and GAA…

Are the top tier guys ones you start no matter who they face?

Where is the line for most of you where it becomes more about matchup than goaltender?
    Scoring: G A +/- PPP SOG FW HIT BLK
    Goalies: W GAA SV% SO
    category win = 2pts, category tie = 1pt

12 team H2H redraft
    C - B Point, S Stamkos (C,LW), N Kadri, M Necas (C, RW)
    LW - A Ovechkin, E Kane
    RW - M Rantanen, A Svechnikov (LW,RW), M Zuccarello
    D - R Josi, B Burns, Z Werenski, A Romanov, A Martinez
    G - I Sorokin, U Luukkonen
    IR - A Ekblad

10 team H2H redraft
    C - A Matthews, A Barkov, M Zibanejad
    LW - B Tkachuk, A Panarin, C Caufield (LW,RW)
    RW - M Rantanen, A Svechnikov (LW,RW), T Wilson
    D - R Dahlin, B Burns, K Letang, D Nurse
    G - J Swayman, T Demko, F Anderson
    IR -

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: How much stock do you put in quality of goalie vs quality of opponent with start sit decisions?

I lean more towards trust of the goalie and the team they are on than choose based on opponent. It's always a bit of a guess, but I'm not starting a way worse goalie just because of opponent. I feel if you start the better goalie more often than not it works out in your favour over the long haul. There's always exceptions though if you need to target categories in h2h for example.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: How much stock do you put in quality of goalie vs quality of opponent with start sit decisions?

I made the decision a while back that my default is to start the player if the choice could go either way. Sure, it might cost you once in a while but more times than not it will help your team and I don't want to pick and choose. In terms of choosing the better goalie versus tougher opponent versus lesser goalie against an inferior team, I will look to see who has been playing better over the last couple starts and which team has been hotter including opponents. Overall, this doesn't come up that much and more times than not I just kinda go by feel since I monitor my players pretty closely.

And speaking of specifics, I start Shesty and Demko regardless of opponent unless it is late in the week and they can only hurt your team with a poor performance.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov