Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Corey Perry situation - UPDATE: cleared waivers; contract terminated

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Corey Perry situation - UPDATE: cleared waivers; contract terminated

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    So it's no where near the same level or severity, but when I was in University I got caught drinking underage at residences and I was forced to go to meetings with the head RA weekly for 6 months, AA meetings at the school until they said otherwise, I was forced into volunteer hours, and I was told I couldn't be caught with alcohol for 6months even when I turned of age. I was on my 2nd beer of the night. If you don't have a problem, these programs are pretty strong.

Perry could easily not have been that drunk and did something. He might not actually have problems with alcohol and is using it as an excuse for actions he did. And because of it not actually being a problem he might not want to go through an official program because it can be excessive.

Pat McAfee has been on record saying how BS the NFL's drug testing policy is once you're in the program and it's almost built to keep ppl in it. NHL's assistance program might be horrible for someone who doesn't have a problem.

Or he has a legit problem, and the program is not an effective use of time and knows going outside of the NHL program will give him a better chance at bettering himself.
    Is there media or something that is expecting he doesn't have a problem?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Corey Perry situation - UPDATE: cleared waivers; contract terminated

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Is there media or something that is expecting he doesn't have a problem?
    People who have legitimately suffered through alcoholism who are in the media have murmured they hope that he isn't diluting the seriousness of alcohol abuse and using it as an excuse.

I think it's only being brought up because he chose to void his deal over going into the NHL players assistant program. Like it's just an odd move, unless he truly thinks the program is flawed.

Alcohol abuse comes in many forms, and Perry could be a binge drinker who once he starts, he can't stop, but doesn't drink often. Which would be less seen in terms of health, effectiveness on the ice, and likely would reflect a bit on relations with other players who rave about how good he is. Also, at 38yrs old, who could have a hidden drinking problem, might not get a $4m deal. It's all just assumptions though.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I have held on comment on the Perry situation until now.

Boy... terrible place to be for the Hawks organization and Perry.
    Perry is hinting/suggesting that alcohol had some impact on a bad action he made.
    This situation now offers a lot more speculation and possibilities than somebody not under the influence.
    At this point - if Perry (and or the Hawks) doesn't reveal that he was intoxicated... it really muddies the waters for everybody.

I'm OK with a player having *some* level of privacy... but I think he or CHI needs to now lay this out in greater terms.
    As of now, Perry has a suggestive excuse for his actions... and that may or may not be fair to all parties involved.
    All it is now... though... is muddy. Yuck.

Dobber Sports Monster

I heard the comments 2014OG is referencing...I assume you mean Justin Bourne. He basically said that he was skeptical because if he had a real problem, that's not something an NHL team would terminate your contract over suddenly. The chat also mentioned that some people around the league wondered if the organization had a quick trigger finger because of the things that happened in the past.

I don't have an opinion on the validity of those takes especially since we still don't know enough, just adding more information to the discussion.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I heard the comments 2014OG is referencing...I assume you mean Justin Bourne. He basically said that he was skeptical because if he had a real problem, that's not something an NHL team would terminate your contract over suddenly. The chat also mentioned that some people around the league wondered if the organization had a quick trigger finger because of the things that happened in the past.

I don't have an opinion on the validity of those takes especially since we still don't know enough, just adding more information to the discussion.
    ESPN radio late night also had a host talk about it. I'm not sure if he was regurgitating Bourne, or it was his own thought.

Dobber Sports Monster

Ah okay. Bourne had a bit on it during Leafs hour of Kyper and Bourne.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Ah okay. Bourne had a bit on it during Leafs hour of Kyper and Bourne.
    Ya I heard their take and thought it was interesting point to make. It's a tough line to toe when it comes to addiction, but they did it well on pointing out there's a possibility he is using it as an excuse.

As for his future, we had Jim Montgomery (mentioned on Kyper and Bourne) drinking on team grounds (rumoured) with a history of abusing alcohol (DUI in 2008) and went through private counseling and support and ended up getting a job with little public uproar. If Perry didn't do anything crazy bad while he was drinking, there's an opportunity for a future in the NHL still.

Come March, he might be a teams option to get some vet 4th line experience instead of a trade route.