Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Corey Perry situation - UPDATE: cleared waivers; contract terminated

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Corey Perry situation - UPDATE: on waivers for contract termination

This kind of reminds me of the rumor that was spread that Ryan Kesler, slept with Corey Scheinders wife and that's why he was abruptly traded. I hope we find out what actually happened, I doubt he slept with Bedard's Mom. Like come on, Bedard's Mom would have to be someone of real low value to sleep with Bedard's teammate knowing how much spotlight is on her son.

Then again, humans will human.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Can you just "terminate" a contract? Or will this be a buyout situation? I am guessing he clears waivers. What's the PAs take on this?

Rylant
    There will be language in his contract that a team can terminate it on some type of grounds. Mike Richards famously had his contract terminated for getting caught trying to cross the border with drugs.

However if you want any real evidence that that dumbass rumour isn't true, "sleeping with another consenting adult" would not be suitable grounds for terminating a contract, regardless of who that other adult was.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Can you just "terminate" a contract? Or will this be a buyout situation? I am guessing he clears waivers. What's the PAs take on this?

Rylant
    Without knowing what actually happened this is hard to answer.
    If the crazy rumors were somehow true, and Perry did nothing else, I do not think the Blackhawks would have grounds to terminate Perry's contract, and the union would be fighting this tooth and nail.
    Like, having consensual relations with another grown adult is not going to be a breach of a Standard Player's contract, or the CBA, regardless of who that adult is.

Given the way this is being handled, and the tight-lipped actions of the Blackhawks, my slightly less exciting and still wild guess is that Perry was found to have a problem with alcohol and/or illicit drugs, which was affecting his performance with the team and when approached by the team he refused treatment and to enter the NHLPA assistance program.
    That is the only fact pattern that adds up given the statements from the Blackhawks to date. He may have had an altercation with team personnel along the way as well which led to a discovery of substance abuse.

It would also explain the team not wanting (or being permitted) to make comments about what was actually happening as substance abuse is generally considered a medical matter (and thus privacy rules apply).
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    There will be language in his contract that a team can terminate it on some type of grounds. Mike Richards famously had his contract terminated for getting caught trying to cross the border with drugs.

However if you want any real evidence that that dumbass rumour isn't true, "sleeping with another consenting adult" would not be suitable grounds for terminating a contract, regardless of who that other adult was.
    I'm not saying that Ms. Bedard/Perry happened, and I don't believe the rumor. However, initially I thought the same thing about consenting adults; but then also thought about, how many CEO's have we seen booted for sleeping with employees in recent years... including McDonald's Corp. CEO... I definitely think that they could add sleeping with a close family relation of another player being grounds for contract termination... and given that it has happened before to players in Hockey - baseball - and basketball, I'd actually be surprised if they didn't have a termination provision in an agreement for this sort of conduct which would be detrimental to the team and locker room and would cover wives, mothers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    If the crazy rumors were somehow true, and Perry did nothing else, I do not think the Blackhawks would have grounds to terminate Perry's contract, and the union would be fighting this tooth and nail.
    Like, having consensual relations with another grown adult is not going to be a breach of a Standard Player's contract, or the CBA, regardless of who that adult is.

Given the way this is being handled, and the tight-lipped actions of the Blackhawks, my slightly less exciting and still wild guess is that Perry was found to have a problem with alcohol and/or illicit drugs, which was affecting his performance with the team and when approached by the team he refused treatment and to enter the NHLPA assistance program.
    That is the only fact pattern that adds up given the statements from the Blackhawks to date. He may have had an altercation with team personnel along the way as well which led to a discovery of substance abuse.

It would also explain the team not wanting (or being permitted) to make comments about what was actually happening as substance abuse is generally considered a medical matter (and thus privacy rules apply).
    This explanation also fits the most in the contradiction of the team saying it was a team matter and Perry saying it was a personal matter, as in the above context, it really would be that both are true.

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post
    I'm not saying that Ms. Bedard/Perry happened, and I don't believe the rumor. However, initially I thought the same thing about consenting adults; but then also thought about, how many CEO's have we seen booted for sleeping with employees in recent years... including McDonald's Corp. CEO... I definitely think that they could add sleeping with a close family relation of another player being grounds for contract termination... and given that it has happened before to players in Hockey - baseball - and basketball, I'd actually be surprised if they didn't have a termination provision in an agreement for this sort of conduct which would be detrimental to the team and locker room and would cover wives, mothers etc.
    It's impossible to fully explain how different those scenarios at are.

A boss sleeping with an employee introduces power dynamics. A player and a teammates family member is entirely dissimilar. Also no player/agent would agree to that type of provision, nor would the NHLPA. It would be far too nebulous of a window/provision to open up for termination. You have to do something bad bad to get your contract terminated.

Lets just say NHL contract termination is incredibly rare, almost unheard of, and NHL player impropriety with relation to affecting team dynamics is....less rare.

Dobber Sports Star

So I am also not inclined to believe the rumors. Also, as shitty as it might be for a hockey player to have sexual relations with the family member of one of their teammates, they are both adults. That situation is also miles different than a boss sleeping with a fellow employee., or a teacher sleeping with one of their students.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Superstar

Those fact patterns are different for several reasons:
    1. Where you have two employees of an organization and a senior employee - subordinate relationship, the issue is the power imbalance i.e. jr. employee feels he/she cannot say know and implied sexual harassment exists. Bedard's mother is not a team employee, agent etc.
    2. None of the executives you referenced would have a union, most got major payouts to go away.
    3. All NHL Players sign a standard form contract. The Teams cannot add individual terms to these contracts.

I'm not aware of a single professional player having their contract terminated for having consensual relations with another adult. Executives are totally different.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post

Right. I imagine that there are clauses in contracts which would allow the termination of contracts for illegal activity. I know there is also conditions regarding violation of conduct policy, but not sure exactly what criteria needs to be met for that. I imagine it is laid out as specifically as it can be, however I am sure there is still some grey area there. Would both the NHL and PA need to agree in cases of grey area?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Monster

Frank Seravalli
    @frank_seravalli
    ·
    2m
    #Blackhawks GM Kyle Davidson says he can't reveal any details, says it is a "workplace matter."

“This does not involve any player or their families, and anyone that suggests otherwise is wildly inaccurate and it’s frankly disgusting.”

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Icon

So the Blackhawks had a press conference to tell the media and the world absolutely nothing. Their PR team continues to really earn their pay.

Dobber Sports All-Star

So I am also not inclined to believe the rumors. Also, as shitty as it might be for a hockey player to have sexual relations with the family member of one of their teammates, they are both adults. That situation is also miles different than a boss sleeping with a fellow employee., or a teacher sleeping with one of their students.

Rylant
    I could be wrong, but I actually tend to believe it is true. Although, no one involved would ever admit it. But who and why would anyone make up something this hateful? Damage control would be to deny, deny, deny! Also, this is very embarrassing to the team and could possibly affect their relationship with Connor which could be catastrophic. They will do everything in their power to protect the kid and their relationship with him. Including the ridding of Perry by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli 2m

#Blackhawks GM Kyle Davidson says he can't reveal any details, says it is a "workplace matter."

“This does not involve any player or their families, and anyone that suggests otherwise is wildly inaccurate and it’s frankly disgusting.”
    "Yea but he didn't tell us what it actually is, so how are we supposed to believe him when he tells us what it isn't" - some people still, probably.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    So the Blackhawks had a press conference to tell the media and the world absolutely nothing. Their PR team continues to really earn their pay.
    If this is actually true, they better make something up and fast.

Dobber Sports Pro

At this point it has to be drug-related or some type of sexual harassment incident