Default Re: Draisaitl and McDavid trade watch

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Money
    Yep.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Money
    Perfect. So let's keep going. What lesson would the Oilers have learned? I guess maybe not to have a guy running a failed business own the team?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Perfect. So let's keep going. What lesson would the Oilers have learned? I guess maybe not to have a guy running a failed business own the team?
    Bro, just say what you want to say.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    Bro, just say what you want to say.
    Bro, I just did.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Bro, I just did.
    No, you didn't.

You just played a game and asked some obvious questions.

In my opinion the biggest lesson that the Oilers learned was the repercussions of trading away the best player in the game.

But yes, ownership of the team is a big one as well.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

No, you didn't.

You just played a game and asked some obvious questions.

In my opinion the biggest lesson that the Oilers learned was the repercussions of trading away the best player in the game.

But yes, ownership of the team is a big one as well.
    Right, but trading Gretzky away had nothing to do with hockey at all. It was all money. Then they immediately won another Stanley Cup after that.

It's not like they thought it was going to be some sort of smart hockey move to trade Gretzky as part of a rebuild and then it didn't work out and they learned a valuable lesson from it.

It's just a really bizarre way to frame things, that they "learned a lesson" from this. There's not a single person outside of Pocklington who wanted to see Gretzky traded.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Right, but trading Gretzky away had nothing to do with hockey at all. It was all money. Then they immediately won another Stanley Cup after that.

It's not like they thought it was going to be some sort of smart hockey move to trade Gretzky as part of a rebuild and then it didn't work out and they learned a valuable lesson from it.

It's just a really bizarre way to frame things, that they "learned a lesson" from this. There's not a single person outside of Pocklington who wanted to see Gretzky traded.
    It was also a completely different era of the NHL, with no salary cap and an owner who could not compete financially with the big market teams.
    The trade was of Gretzky and breakup of the Oilers dynasty was inevitable. But no one thought the team got better on the ice after the trade.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think if Edmonton misses the playoffs or bows out meekly in the first round this season, Draisaitl is gone. He is the ultimate scapegoat in that media market while McDavid is the darling. I think if the Oilers lose a tough/close series in whatever round, then he probably stays long term.

McDavid is the toughest one to gauge. Players of that caliber (and he's clearly a step above Draisaitl) just don't leave. Like I know Gretzky did, but as established that was all money. I can't imagine Edmonton ever trading McDavid, and I can't imagine him ever walking in FA. I'd like it to happen, I just don't see it.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Oh, there were a lot of people who wanted to see Gretzky traded... to their teams. Trust me. We knew in Philly we had no shot. Not a large enough or visible enough market - which by the numbers is odd, but we're like the #4 market in the northeast, as far as visibility goes, but second by size.

I do think going to LA for marketability in various aspects in underrated by people who look at these things.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Oh, there were a lot of people who wanted to see Gretzky traded... to their teams. Trust me. We knew in Philly we had no shot. Not a large enough or visible enough market - which by the numbers is odd, but we're like the #4 market in the northeast, as far as visibility goes, but second by size.

I do think going to LA for marketability in various aspects in underrated by people who look at these things.
    Hah true enough!

I guess I meant no one who wanted to the team to succeed.

Dobber Sports Titan

The only way you trade either is if they tell you they aren't re-signing like Tkachuk did. Toronto is comfortable talking to Nylander through the season, I don't see why Edmonton wouldn't be ok with doing it with Drai/McDavid too.

But ya, only way you move them is if they tell you they aren't staying. And I feel like Draisaitl could do that, and McDavid wouldn't. McDavid and Tavares have the same vibe to me when it comes to being too nice.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The only way you trade either is if they tell you they aren't re-signing like Tkachuk did. Toronto is comfortable talking to Nylander through the season, I don't see why Edmonton wouldn't be ok with doing it with Drai/McDavid too.

But ya, only way you move them is if they tell you they aren't staying. And I feel like Draisaitl could do that, and McDavid wouldn't. McDavid and Tavares have the same vibe to me when it comes to being too nice.
    Haha I don't know if the Tavares example helps the McDavid staying case at all.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Haha I don't know if the Tavares example helps the McDavid staying case at all.
    It's a trade thread not a FA thread lol.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It's a trade thread not a FA thread lol.
    ..but doesn't your comparison with Tavares imply that McDavid also will go to FA? If they're similar, and that Edmonton should consider moving him before he goes for nothing..

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    ..but doesn't your comparison with Tavares imply that McDavid also will go to FA? If they're similar, and that Edmonton should consider moving him before he goes for nothing..
    I think McDavid wouldn't be blunt with his intentions if he doesn't extend July1st 2025. I feel like his situation is going to be like "I want to stay, but I'm not talking contract mid-season". Then it gets to the point of "why wouldn't see what other teams are offering. I'll hear them out but I'm definitely leaning Edmonton still". Then he hears the pitches and thinks otherwise.

I also think...What team would actively explore a trade of McDavid? You are going full blitz into trying to sign him, which would drag past a time when teams can acquire his cap hit easily. So it would eliminate his suitors it being dragged out. Kind of like what happened with Eichel, only a few teams could do it cap wise. But because it's McDavid who (presumably) is healthy, the offers from the 3-5 teams aren't going to be good. So Edmonton will try and extend him all year.

But that's just a guess on what's going to happen. Maybe McDavid behind closed doors isn't as quiet or demanding and will voice his displeasure harder than I thought