Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Oilers aren't making the playoffs, right?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Oilers aren't making the playoffs, right?

Tired: Making snap decisions based on sample sizes of 20 minutes is foolish.

Wired: Relegation should be possible.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    106 Point Pace is doable for the team on paper in the pre-season. The problem is every game they lose that pace becomes bigger, and also every game they lose it is harder to believe they can actually play at that pace.

I don't really know how they do it unless the goaltending turns around, and I don't really know how the goaltending turns around.
    Now 108 point pace, and again, harder to believe they can.

This is excellent comedy though.

Dobber Sports Star

It SURE is a good thing that they fired Woodcroft, right...?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    It SURE is a good thing that they fired Woodcroft, right...?

Rylant
    I still don't have a problem with the Woodcroft firing. I have a problem bringing in a rookie coach. I mean , who knows how that roll of the dice is going to work out. So far, the new coach bump hasn't happened, and may not.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

i dont think this has anything to do with them firing a coach or bringing in a rookie coach...

D is poor, it was poor last year but G stood on his head, and now that he came back to life they cant keep the puck out of the net....

they were also bit better offensively as a team last yean than they really are so many things aliened to the year they had in 22-23.

I picked them to make plyoffs as wildcard this year and be gone in round one...looks like im way off but just look at those experts ...75% of them picked Edmonton to win the cup.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Monster

I still think they should try Campbell one more time. I worry about Skinner losing confidence and the impact of that long term. Campbell was awful, but he played only like 5 games (4 were bad). I'd see what happens if you throw him in there once more. And if it doesn't work you make a trade of some kind - even if it's a low impact move.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    i dont think this has anything to do with them firing a coach or bringing in a rookie coach...

D is poor, it was poor last year but G stood on his head, and now that he came back to life they cant keep the puck out of the net....

they were also bit better offensively as a team last yean than they really are so many things aliened to the year they had in 22-23.

I picked them to make plyoffs as wildcard this year and be gone in round one...looks like im way off but just look at those experts ...75% of them picked Edmonton to win the cup.

I have no problem with the Woodcroft firing.Woodcroft brought in a new defensive system during training camp trying to make the team better defensively, that clearly failed...
    Now the team looks so lost in every aspect of its play, confidence is gone, no idea how to reverse course for the team. It's really just bizarre.
    They were not a GREAT defensive team last year but they were respectable. And they had respectable goaltending, and they could outscore their problems.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I still think they should try Campbell one more time. I worry about Skinner losing confidence and the impact of that long term. Campbell was awful, but he played only like 5 games (4 were bad). I'd see what happens if you throw him in there once more. And if it doesn't work you make a trade of some kind - even if it's a low impact move.
    Unless the Oilers can make a trade to dump Campbell I bet he is recalled in the next week. Campbell is signed for 3 more seasons so the Oilers might as well give him another shot and see if there is any hope of recovery, if not they will try and dump him during the season, and if none of that works he gets bought out in the offseason IMO.
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    I have no problem with the Woodcroft firing.Woodcroft brought in a new defensive system during training camp trying to make the team better defensively, that clearly failed...
    Now the team looks so lost in every aspect of its play, confidence is gone, no idea how to reverse course for the team. It's really just bizarre.
    They were not a GREAT defensive team last year but they were respectable. And they had respectable goaltending, and they could outscore their problems.
    They could outscore their problems because McDrai had the best statistical seasons they will ever have in their careers. Expecting that to repeat was always silly.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    They could outscore their problems because McDrai had the best statistical seasons they will ever have in their careers. Expecting that to repeat was always silly.
    True, but so far this year, they are both well below their season average for scoring points/60 over their careers and it's not even close. That and their power play is non existent. Their slow start is definitely affecting the game outcomes so far.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Ryan Rishaug, who is one of the worst analysis ever but still humor me here. Said it looks like all assets outside of their 1st round are on the table to make a trade. I don't really understand not putting the 1st out there. I get it, it could be a lottery pick but you got, what some call the most talented hockey player ever on your team and another recent Hart Trophy winner. Aren't you trading everything that isn't tied down even if the trades an L to make the current roster better around these guys?

Now on the flip side imagine if they continue to be this bad all year and they get the old Oil lotto luck and draft 1st overall again. Aside from the hockey world melting down once again, I don't know how you spin that to the fan's. Hey look we got another 1st overall pick, just wait until he matures. Meanwhile you got two 1st overalls and 3rd overall already in the prime of their development on your team already. And two that are not in the organization anymore. Unreal.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Superstar

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2023/11...e-oilers-fans/

God Bless the Beaverton.
    Every now and then they nail a topic.
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Ryan Rishaug, who is one of the worst analysis ever but still humor me here. Said it looks like all assets outside of their 1st round are on the table to make a trade. I don't really understand not putting the 1st out there. I get it, it could be a lottery pick but you got, what some call the most talented hockey player ever on your team and another recent Hart Trophy winner. Aren't you trading everything that isn't tied down even if the trades an L to make the current roster better around these guys?

Now on the flip side imagine if they continue to be this bad all year and they get the old Oil lotto luck and draft 1st overall again. Aside from the hockey world melting down once again, I don't know how you spin that to the fan's. Hey look we got another 1st overall pick, just wait until he matures. Meanwhile you got two 1st overalls and 3rd overall already in the prime of their development on your team already. And two that are not in the organization anymore. Unreal.
    How do YOU determine who's a good analyst and who's a bad one? Curiosity question.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    https://www.thebeaverton.com/2023/11...e-oilers-fans/

God Bless the Beaverton.
    Every now and then they nail a topic.
    https://t.ly/bqxKf

Made a URL that works as that one has been ran through the forum's naughty word filter and doesnt work.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    How do YOU determine who's a good analyst and who's a bad one? Curiosity question.
    Knowing the line combinations the day of the game would be a good start. I have listened to the team 1260 for years before it got canceled. My sister is a die hard Oilers fan, season ticket holder and is obsessed. We would always text each other when he was on the Gregor show about how oblivious he was on what was going with the team. Gregor would ask a question about someone new being in the line up that night and he would be like oh really I didn't know that I'm not sure what I think, what about you Jason. It was like come on man you cover the team, its your job to know these things.