Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Oilers aren't making the playoffs, right?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Oilers aren't making the playoffs, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Then who they acquire to replace him?
    that is above my pay grade but this is a years long experiment and it's not working. Skinner and Pickard are not going to cut it. I'm looking at their bottom six on Daily Faceoff and it's not formidable. The third D pair is suspect and Cody Ceci on the top pair is questionable.

I'm not trying to crap on the franchise but has enough time not passed for that management team to look in the mirror and say a major change is necessary? Whatever or whoever they would hypothetically get back, you'd figure the package has to be substantial. I would def be looking at the likes of Boston and Swayman as an armchair GM here and trying to construct a deal.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers
    Looking at their salaries on Cap Friendly, I'm sure of a few things:

1. The McDavid and especially Driasiatl contracts aren't a problem. and the next tier of forwards around 5 M don't seem to be either, although there may be one too many of them.
    2. They are overpaying for certain depth spots: notably Kulak on the bottom pair.
    3. Getting the Campbell signing wrong has really hampered them a lot.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers
    Looking at their salaries on Cap Friendly, I'm sure of a few things:

1. The McDavid and especially Driasiatl contracts aren't a problem. and the next tier of forwards around 5 M don't seem to be either, although there may be one too many of them.
    2. They are overpaying for certain depth spots: notably Kulak on the bottom pair.
    3. Getting the Campbell signing wrong has really hampered them a lot.
    The thing is the Oilers have strength at forward, I know dah. It's the D and tending that is a mess. Look at their forward lines. You can put McDavid with any two middle 6 forwards and that line is going to be effective, you then can load up a 2nd line with Drai, Hyman and Kane. This leaves Nuge, which can play wing with McDavid and make the line better or can be a 3rd line center which is a luxury.

I think he's the expendable piece him or Hyman. But I think RNH would net the biggest return. I would try to use him to get a Saros like tender if possible. This won't fix the D though which I honestly think with what Nurse makes is basically purgatory. To trade Nurse you would need to retain 3 to 3.5 million. Ekholm might be the best D but he's aging, and he's solid but he's never been a #1 and might have never even been a true #2.

Really the Oilers should try trading their 1st this year, heck even next year to get out of Campbells contract. You got McDavid and Draisatil at least for now. You do everything you can until there no longer on your team.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

I agree, and think dealing a forward makes a lot of sense for them. The window they have is really until Draisiatl hits FA, and they probably need to deal him at that deadline, since he's getting a huge raise.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

The Oilers problems are deeper than "guys are getting paid a bit too much for their role".

It's team defense starting with McDavid and Draisaitl. Then guys are on the roster that aren't exactly defensive stars in Kane, RNH, and Hyman (this yr). That's $36.75m in forwards who aren't good at defense, or 44% of the cap.

Now the issue why the team hasn't progressed the way we would have thought is (in my eyes), they keep giving guys that bit too much to keep what they think is working, instead of saving a few bucks and trying something new. Or they try to address an issue with the top FA. Need a player to play with talent? Oh there's Hyman, he can 100% play with talent sign him. Oh we need a goalie? Campbell is the best FA goalie this yr. Oh our defenseman is up? Better sign him ASAP. Oh Kane worked for a bit? Extend him for a lot.

To me the problem of cap utilization, and lazy roster construction is why the team hasn't grown over the last few years. But that's not why they are the way they are this yr. It's team defense has just finally fully broken down and players are emotionally done. This roster isn't this bad (never as bad as your worst), and this roster can be a playoff team, but the lack of team defense is insane. No one helps the other player group (forwards helping D/D helping forwards). And they are so far gone, team defense is just scramble until the puck gets cleared.

I however could be talking out of my butt right now, as I'm running on like 4hrs of sleep.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

I agree their team defense makes Bouchard look even worse then he is. That's why I think you need to deal RNH. He could fetch you a piece you need to either mask the issue (a stud goalie) or improve overall defense (a stud D) and you wouldn't miss him all that much. The only issue is he has NMC, and I doubt he will waive it.

As you said lazy roster construction has sunk this team. There paying Nurse 9.25 million a year, that's #1 money and he's not even a number 2. There paying Campbell $5 million a year, that's starting goalie money and he's not even an NHL goalie. If I was the GM I would be moving all my prospects and picks this year and next to try and fix this. That means Holloway, Broberg, Bourgault and both 1sts and 2nds this year and next to fix this. At where this team is having McDavid and Draisatil in their prime, they can't be waiting for players to develop.

Dobber Sports Deity

Nuge has a full NMC. It's not that easy as just saying "move RNH". He gave them a home town discount so I cant imagine he'd be too receptive to moving on.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I agree their team defense makes Bouchard look even worse then he is. That's why I think you need to deal RNH. He could fetch you a piece you need to either mask the issue (a stud goalie) or improve overall defense (a stud D) and you wouldn't miss him all that much. The only issue is he has NMC, and I doubt he will waive it.

As you said lazy roster construction has sunk this team. There paying Nurse 9.25 million a year, that's #1 money and he's not even a number 2. There paying Campbell $5 million a year, that's starting goalie money and he's not even an NHL goalie. If I was the GM I would be moving all my prospects and picks this year and next to try and fix this. That means Holloway, Broberg, Bourgault and both 1sts and 2nds this year and next to fix this. At where this team is having McDavid and Draisatil in their prime, they can't be waiting for players to develop.
    From the RNH side, like yea I doubt he waives his NMC. But also thinking you can get a good G or D for him is confusing. He's a 30 YO averagely paid middle six W. Everyone knows last year was an outlier.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Nuge has a full NMC. It's not that easy as just saying "move RNH". He gave them a home town discount so I cant imagine he'd be too receptive to moving on.
    I mentioned his NMC above and stated I doubt he will waive it, if you read even the first part of my post. The other option would by Hyman or Kane in a package. Unless the Oilers trade their young prospects + 1st rounders. Honestly if I was an Oilers fan, I would want them to sacrifice the future to make this happen. Almost any price wouldn't be too high. If your not losing McDavid/Drai, I would be willing to part with both this years 1st and next to get out of this jam.

The Great One

I looked at the Bruins roster because I think there’s something there with Ullmark and Draisatl as the key pieces but everyone has an NMC/NTC of some sort.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I mentioned his NMC above and stated I doubt he will waive it, if you read even the first part of my post. The other option would by Hyman or Kane in a package. Unless the Oilers trade their young prospects + 1st rounders. Honestly if I was an Oilers fan, I would want them to sacrifice the future to make this happen. Almost any price wouldn't be too high. If your not losing McDavid/Drai, I would be willing to part with both this years 1st and next to get out of this jam.
    I dont disagree.

An interesting name I heard was Vejmelka as a potential option. I am sure Arizona would love to have picks for him.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm starting to think the "bust" in "cup or bust" really means "McDrai are not re-signing here"
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    I'm starting to think the "bust" in "cup or bust" really means "McDrai are not re-signing here"
    Thats still down the road to worry about. Cup or Bust is this year.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    I have zero idea why they would. Go win a Cup (or multiple) somewhere else.

Dobber Sports Monster

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry