Thread: Owners approve Athletics move to LV

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Owners approve Athletics move to LV

https://twitter.com/Travis_Sawchik/s...57663367962685

The owners vote to approve A’s move to Las Vegas. First relocation since the Expos moved to Washington in 2005.
    It's going to be weird to not say the Oakland Athletics and now call them the Las Vegas Athletics, or the Vegas Athletics. Either way, it just doesn't sound right.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Owners approve Athletics move to LV

Yes, it doesn't sound right at all.

I wonder if they consider a re-brand to get something smoother?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Yes, it doesn't sound right at all.

I wonder if they consider a re-brand to get something smoother?
    I can see a re-branding to help sell merch.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

What I never understood about this is the owners have money to move but not to field a competitive team.

The owner is like top 10 riches owners and operates the team to make money, so they maintain a budget that doesn't cut into profits. They use the revenue that the team generates for the payroll, so making a $1.5billion investment to move to Vegas ($1.1b from Athletics and ~$400m from Vegas) just doesn't make sense to me.

Especially when the move won't happen till like 2028, and the Coliseum lease expires after next season, so they still need to find a place to play from 2025-27. And they are still fighting Nevada Unions on the $380m proposition for the stadium.

This is such a crap show.

But it'll end up working out, because the 10,000 fans that do show up to Oakland games is nothing, so any fans that go to Vegas games will be better.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Started following the A’s when they were in Kansas City. Saw their uniforms on my baseball cards in 1966 and decided that’s the team I’m going to follow. They moved to Oakland and our family ended up in California in 1971 via New York, Chicago. I was fortunate to attend one of their World Series games vs Cincinnati. Three consecutive World Series appearances in the 1970’s and again in the 1980’s. Unfortunately they have become basically a farm team for the rest of baseball.
    The A’s classic colour scheme of California gold, Kelly green and Snow white will probably change in Vegas.
    Will they remain the Athletics ? Las Vegas Athletics. Vegas Athletics. The Vegas A’s instead of Oakland A’s. Just won’t be the same.
    The V A’s will definitely need rebranding.
    At least we’ll always have Jose Canseco lol.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    4 weekly goalie appearances minimum
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett
    LW: E.Kane, Kaprizov
    LW/C: Draisaitl, Stutzle
    RW: Marner
    RW/C: T.Thompson, Necas
    RW/LW: Svechnikov
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Sergachev, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Star

The only function that an owner needs to fulfill is the ability to obtain a stadium funded entirely by taxpayers. This is why Daniel Snyder had to sell in Washington; he became so personally unpopular that he would never be able to get a new stadium through local, state or federal government approval. With that, the financial future was written, given that Snyder would never pay for a stadium himself and he wouldn't want to pay for stadium renovations/upkeep in the face of declining revenues.

The A's are going to tank magnificently, sadly. Their economic projections are beyond ridiculous. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the proposal is that the A's themselves will bring 10,000+ tourists into the City of Las Vegas who would not otherwise have come to the city, for each game, and then each tourist will stay at a hotel, buy food, gamble, etc. Thus, for a 3 game series, the A's are claiming that 30,000 total people are flying in from Pittsburgh to watch an A's=Pirates series and spending hundreds of dollars. Good luck with that.

The whole thing is a terrible disaster that everyone can see coming. But you can't break the ownership thin blue line of always blessing moves to get stadium deals. Owners need teams to occasionally move to support the threat of moving in order to swindle taxpayers.

Dobber Sports Titan

Snyder cooked his books and stole money from the other owners. That's why the other owners turned on him. His public popularity wasn't the reason the league turned on him.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll