Dobber Sports Rookie

Question Trade Advice to Improve Defensive Depth

Happy Friday, everyone!
    Looking for some TRADE ADVICE

8T H2H Points
    G: 2 | A: 1 | SOG, HIT: 0.1 | BLK: 0.5 | PPP, SHP: 0.5
    F 9, D 5, G 2, IR 1, BEN 5

My team:

• Forwards: C.McDavid, T.Konecny, B.Marchand, A.Svechnikov, J.Robertson, J.Skinner, J.Eichel, R.Nugent-Hopkins, A.Kempe, S.Aho(CAR), M.Rantanen, N.Kucherov, A.Panarin, B.Horvat
    • Defence: M.Heiskanen, N.Dobson, M.Matheson, E.Karlsson, S,Durzi, Q,Hughes
    • Goalies: J.Oettinger, J.Saros

I need to add to my defense and open up a streaming slot for better coverage throughout the weeks. Was thinking of offering the following trade:
    Give: J.Skinner, B.Horvat
    Receive: R.Josi

Is this a fair trade for both parties if I need defense and a stream slot and they need a better offense? Is there anyone else I should be targeting or trying to trade off instead?

Appreciate any help!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Trade Advice to Improve Defensive Depth

they're not sexy enough names to get someone to move Roman. You need to be more realistic and give an elite forward to get an elite defender which there are less of overall across the league. Pick one of the stars you can bare to send off, maybe Marchand, Kempe, Svech. Either way you'll need to give to get and Skinner, Horvat won't cut it.

Dobber Sports Stud

In your scoring format (Pts + PPP/Blks @ 0.5) and set-up (9F, 5!!!D) Josi is going to be one of the most valuable players imo.

You know the quality of your league so if you feel like your offer is legit then go for it - that would be a massive win for you. But from the outside, it looks like you're trying to trade off your 2 lowest-producing guys for an elite 1 guy in return.

2-for-1 trades are tough in most leagues that aren't dynasties, since you're almost always getting 2 dimes for a quarter. Even 3 dimes for a quarter isn't usually worth it since guys you stream are worth a nickel each.

Not sure of your G scoring but in an 8-team league, G is the position I'd care the least about. So if Otter could bring you in an elite skater (especially a Dman), I'd happily make that move.

You've definitely got the "right" mentality - consolidate your talent - it's just that this current offer doesn't likely move the needle for the Josi owner.

Good luck!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Rookie

Yeah, did some more comparing and realized I was totally underbuying and it would've just been a rude offer lmao.

Trying to look at better possibilities of maybe offering a duo package of some kind of combination Kempe/Marchand/Horvat for a stronger D that maybe isn't Josi but someone a bit more reasonable.
    My league is fresher and pretty new to hockey, so names aren't as big a sell as much as rank and points/projections are so people like Svech (who will be great assets in the season) don't currently look as hot.

Thoughts on a package of Kempe/Marchand for a strong D? I don't mind holding onto Skinner and Horvat, and feel I have enough offensive depth to lose heavier hitters.

Also our G scoring is:
    W: 4 | GA: -2 | SV: 0.2 | SHO: 3 | OTL: 1
    Last edited by ResArk; November 10, 2023 at 4:31 PM. Reason: Updated with more info.