Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dostal - Long term thoughts

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Dostal - Long term thoughts

So I snagged him off the waiver wire last week. He currently site 5-1 with a young Ducks team who appears to have some grit.
    Not sure how long Gibson is out. When he comes back does Dostal sit or with the way he is currently playing he has earned a time share with Gibson.

Does he steal the crease from Gibson this year? I no longer have NHL center ice. (family trying to save $$) so I can't watch any Anaheim games.

What is everyone thoughts ....does he have the goods to become an above average goalie in the NHL this year or next?

Appreciate you letting me pick your collective brains.

Best
    League #1
    Yahoo 14 team Keep 5 Keeper League

Roster Positions: C, C, LW, RW, F, F, D, D, D, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR+, IR+, IR+, IR+
    Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: , A, P, (+/-), PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW
    Goaltenders Stat Categories: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C (x2): Bedard / Draisaitl
    LW: Stutzle
    RW: Giroux
    F (x2): Bratt / Terry
    D (x3): Heiskanen / Morrissey / Jones
    Util: Jenner
    G (x2): Korpisalo / Grubauer

BN (x4): D. Teows / Boldy / UPL / B. Schenn

The Great One

Default Re: Dostal - Long term thoughts

To me, there's a lot to like. His Really Bad Start percentage last season was tiny, even though his GAA was sky high. And his GSAA was barely negative, plus his Quality Start percentage was quite good. And if you look at the 22 other instances of a goalie appearing in 15+ games with a GAA of 3.75+ in a season dating back to 2000-01, as occurred with Dostal last season, only three had a SV% of .890+, and none, other than Dostal, was above .900. That's skill on display. And this season he seems to have stepped up even more. I like him more than Levi or Kotchetkov, for what it's worth, and I think Anaheim is fully prepared to hand him the keys to the kingdom if he outplays Gibson.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Wizard

another one at G that will most likely be in the good and bad category. So many Gs are great few months then bad then great again and i think he will be in that boat. I also think he is slowly stealing the crease.

I think if you approach this with caution and count for around 30 W and .910 percentage he maybe able to keep you happy year after year starting lets say 2 years from now. But if you expect top 5 G , you will be disappointed imo. I own him in 3 leagues and im happy with him atm but i learned over the years to really temper my expectations when it comes to Gs
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    To me, there's a lot to like. His Really Bad Start percentage last season was tiny, even though his GAA was sky high. And his GSAA was barely negative, plus his Quality Start percentage was quite good. And if you look at the 22 other instances of a goalie appearing in 15+ games with a GAA of 3.75+ in a season dating back to 2000-01, as occurred with Dostal last season, only three had a SV% of .890+, and none, other than Dostal, was above .900. That's skill on display. And this season he seems to have stepped up even more. I like him more than Levi or Kotchetkov, for what it's worth, and I think Anaheim is fully prepared to hand him the keys to the kingdom if he outplays Gibson.
    Yeah ...that is how I was feeling ....was looking for some validation to see if I was thinking this through properly. I declined a trade offer:

His Johansson
    For mine Dostal

As I stated I turned it down with the following note ....

I know Gibson is "supposed to be" the #1 goalie with the Ducks, but we all know 1) he has a history of getting hurt and 2) despite any early success he will eventually implode. With Dostal in the wing I'm sure the Ducks would love to trade Gibson but that horrendous contract makes that impossible. (after this year 3 x $6.4 millon ..yikes!)

However, Gibson now is listed with the good ol' Upper Body Injury. Dostal will get the starts and IMO if he keeps playing well will eventually make it an equal time share and possibly take over as the #1 starter ...especially if the Ducks can sucker some one in taking Gibson's contract.

Johansson is just a place holder until Vasi comes back sometime within the next 4-6 weeks. Dostal IS the future in Anaheim.

Finally looking at the stats ...there really is not that much of a difference between the two.

Both are 4-1. (I posted that before Dostal got his 5th win)

Dostal has a better quality start % despite starting 3 less games.

Dostal has a better EV SV% (.937 vs .919)

Johansson has a beter SH SV% at .925 which is a tad high IMO......

So yeah I was trying to get a pulse on what other feel about him ....

thanks
    League #1

Roster Positions: C, C, LW, RW, F, F, D, D, D, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR+, IR+, IR+, IR+

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    another one at G that will most likely be in the good and bad category. So many Gs are great few months then bad then great again and i think he will be in that boat. I also think he is slowly stealing the crease.

I think if you approach this with caution and count for around 30 W and .910 percentage he maybe able to keep you happy year after year starting lets say 2 years from now. But if you expect top 5 G , you will be disappointed imo. I own him in 3 leagues and im happy with him atm but i learned over the years to really temper my expectations when it comes to Gs
    Yup ... At this point I not expecting the 2nd coming Roy, but I agree hoping he can get me anywhere 30-34 Wins / year will keep me happy.

Appreciate your insight ....
    League #1

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I prefer Dostal to Gibson, and I don't think it's very close. I'd be surprised if Gibson is starting when he returns if Dostal is playing reasonably well, unless they are trying to tank (Gibson will help with that) or they are trying to deal Gibson (I'm sure they are, but bad expensive goalies generally have no takers).

Gibson has the contract & experience/tenure. Dostal has literally everything else. Look at how bad Gibson has been - there's a reason they couldn't get him dealt, yet the Kings managed to deal Petersen. It's the contract and the health.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by pilldoc View Post

Johansson has a beter SH SV% at .925 which is a tad high IMO......

So yeah I was trying to get a pulse on what other feel about him ....

thanks
    Not sure what podcast I heard this on but the goalie stat guru stated how SH SV% is a stat that fluctuates from year to year and to be skeptical of a goalie that has a high or low SH SV% since regression to the league norm is likely. 5 on 5 SV% is the stat to use for comparison. For what it's worth.....
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Not sure what podcast I heard this on but the goalie stat guru stated how SH SV% is a stat that fluctuates from year to year and to be skeptical of a goalie that has a high or low SH SV% since regression to the league norm is likely. 5 on 5 SV% is the stat to use for comparison. For what it's worth.....
    That's what I've heard, with one exception. There are goalies who can repeatedly suck shorthanded.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I have Dostal on my farm. Pretty high on him, with an Anaheim team that will look great in future. It’s time to get him if you got place on your team.
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Initiate

agreed - the time to get him is now
    ---------
    12 team ESPN H2H
    auction draft (260 budget)
    limited keeper (4 keepers)
    2016-17 Champion, 2017-18 Runner-up
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW
    W,SO,GAA,SV%
    Start 1 LW/C/RW, 3 D, 3 Util, 2 G

C - J. Hughes
    LW - Panarin
    RW -
    D - Bouchard
    G - Levi

Packer Fan

Dobber Sports Rookie

Would you drop Skinner/Korpisalo for Dostal ?
    12 Team H2H Keeper (4 C/LW/RW, 6 D, 2G, 3 SPARES, 2 IR - 5 keepers )

Skater Categories - G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks

Goalie Categories - W, SV %, SO

TBD

Farm team: K. Johnson, Sanderson, Nikishin, Kotchetkov

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by javo16 View Post
    I would not make that swap. As Gibson is back Dostal isn’t going to play as much as either Korp or Skinner.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

Not Skinner, but Korpisalo......maybe. Korpisalo is a bad goalie, period. Hard stop. But Ottawa probably doesn't want to give up on him as yet.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by javo16 View Post
    Depends on whether you need starts or just quality starts.
    ---------
    12 team ESPN H2H
    auction draft (260 budget)
    limited keeper (4 keepers)
    2016-17 Champion, 2017-18 Runner-up
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW
    W,SO,GAA,SV%
    Start 1 LW/C/RW, 3 D, 3 Util, 2 G

C - J. Hughes
    LW - Panarin
    RW -
    D - Bouchard
    G - Levi

Packer Fan

Dobber Sports Wizard

Gibson has the big contract for 4 more years. I don't see how he doesn't play significant time unless he really stinks or gets traded.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.