Thread: RIP Bobby Knight

Dobber Sports Deity

Default RIP Bobby Knight

https://twitter.com/UKCoachCalipari/...7jCBRjzLA&s=19

Bobby Knight, one of the greatest coaches of all-time, has passed away. I know his family and the Indiana family are hurting. All of us who love the game of basketball are hurting with them. Rest in peace, Coach Knight.
    A legend in his time. No one threw a chair on the court like Bobby Knight.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: RIP Bobby Knight

RIP.
    I have a love/hate affair with Knight.
    I think his coaching style was very Babcock-ish.
    It worked in the 80s/90s... it wouldn't work now.
    We can respect that for what it was... I think.

Side story:
    (long untold story - but I have to do more work in my household than typical husband)
    There was this one day where I had to carry 4 plates to the dinner table - and one of the kids left their shoes laying around the perimeter of the table.
    When you are trying to carry 4 plates, you can't see the ground where your feet are walking. Shouldn't be an issue... right. We all know our homes.

But..
    I stepped on the shoe and my ankle twisted. Two of the plates went crashing down (full of plated dinner for 1 kid + 1 adult) and in trying to save it I banged my toe AND knee on the nearest chair, twisted, fell into the dinner table and my coffee cup went sideways across the rest of the table. I said some very 4-letter-ish things. Two neighbor kids were at our house and were sitting on the couch while we "speed-ate" dinner because the kids wanted to play (****ing) Roblox with them. Both kids used it as an excuse to not want to eat dinner any more and I - of course - had to give the one adult-dish to my wife (she cooks). So I had to clean a shit ton of food off the floor, didn't have dinner myself, had one of those toenails filling with blood and a banged up knee. Pretty damn close to a rage (and not the type to want to yell at my kids in front of their friends)... so I took that wooden chair outside onto the porch and basically destroyed it against a railing WWE-style / Garth Brooks concert-guitar-smash style. My wife said all the kids watched with their mouths open and then went home to tell their mom what Mr.XXXXX just did.

So... since then... Bobby Knight... I feel you.
    Sometimes... it's the chair that has to feel the pain.

RIP good sir.

Dobber Sports Superstar

When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass! - Bobby Knight 1994
    Rest easy Coach.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

RIP Coach
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Star

Growing up, I always thought that if I did the big things right (do well in school, never cheat, etc.) then that earned me a pass to do the smaller things wrong. That I could willfully break little rules and tell little white lies because I was perfect in the public-facing things that I was told were most important.

When I was old enough to understand Bobby Knight's psychology and behavior, then I realized that that approach was not correct. He did the big things right, good coaching focusing on discipline and hard work, no player scandal, etc. And so he felt he had earned the right to do whatever else he wanted because of it, free from criticism. But that's not how the world works. Or should work, I think.

Dobber Sports Sage

Knight is on the short list of best basketball coaches I ever saw. I'd probably put him #1. When I was a youngster till my early 20s, I LOVED college basketball specifically Big 10 basketball. For some reason I latched onto that '87 Hoosier team that won the National Championship on Keith Smart's game-winning shot. I remember writing a paper about that season as a middle schooler. While Knight often didn't have the most talent, his teams were always strong. But Pengwin is right- his style would never work today. He was a bully and seemed like an a-hole but was easily one of the greatest coaches in North American sports. Definitely has a complicated legacy.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Stud

i had the chance to speak with Isaiah Thomas last year and he said he was the greatest coach that he ever knew.

Complete bully though.

RIP Coach

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft