Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sens to forefeit 1st round pick - Dadonov trade

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Sens to forefeit 1st round pick - Dadonov trade

The Senators are set to lose a 1st round pick as discipline for their 2021 trade involving Dadonov to the Vegas Golden Knights.

If I recall correctly, Vegas tried to trade him to Anaheim and it was something to do with the No-Trade Clause in the contract that wasn't forwarded to Vegas.

Sounds like Ottawa gets to chose one of 2024, 2025 or 2026 to forfeit their pick.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Sens to forefeit 1st round pick - Dadonov trade

Who wants to bet that Ottawa pushes this back to the 2026 draft and then the NHL says they don't need to forfeit the pick anymore before the 2026 draft?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Who wants to bet that Ottawa pushes this back to the 2026 draft and then the NHL says they don't need to forfeit the pick anymore before the 2026 draft?
    What's the reasoning behind this?
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Icon

It's the NHL way! Remember when New Jersey forfeited their first round pick for the Kovalchuk contract? Oh wait, that was rescinded before they actually lost the pick.

The part of the situation that I don't understand is how all the blame is put on Ottawa.

Or did Ottawa provide a inaccurate list to Vegas?

The No-Trade Clause is obviously part of the contract.
    So did no one in the management/legal departments read the contract.

And if they did read the contract - they would have saw that there was a No-Trade Clause.
    And that there should be a list. So if they didn't have a list, should they not try to obtain it?

It almost seems like Ottawa is getting disciplined for a lack of due-diligence on the part of Vegas.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

there were rumblings on Sirius NHL channel that there would be pushback from Michael Andlauer on this, citing he just paid nearly $1B for the team and deserves some leeway. i honesty doubt this has any legs and seems like a longshot in the dark that it will work but....
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    there were rumblings on Sirius NHL channel that there would be pushback from Michael Andlauer on this, citing he just paid nearly $1B for the team and deserves some leeway. i honesty doubt this has any legs and seems like a longshot in the dark that it will work but....
    Would that be something 'material' that should have been disclosed by the NHL at the time of sale?

I can't see the Senators giving up their 2026 draft pick - if the McKenna kid is as good as people are claiming.

​​

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    It's the NHL way! Remember when New Jersey forfeited their first round pick for the Kovalchuk contract? Oh wait, that was rescinded before they actually lost the pick.
    ah, ok. I do remember that. I didn't understand what you were implying.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    The part of the situation that I don't understand is how all the blame is put on Ottawa.

And if they did read the contract - they would have saw that there was a No-Trade Clause.
    And that there should be a list. So if they didn't have a list, should they not try to obtain it?

It almost seems like Ottawa is getting disciplined for a lack of due-diligence on the part of Vegas.
    Agreed. I do not get this at all, like what did Ottawa do wrong ?
    1. Ottawa traded Dandonov to Vegas, which it was permitted to do. the NT list was a term of Dadonov's contract. Vegas would or OUGHT TO, know this, seems like it would be standard due diligence to request the no trade list for a player you are trading for to ensure a team understands the full value of the player.
    2. Vegas acquires Dadonov, at some point should they not ask Dadonov (or his agent) for the NT list directly ?>
    3. Vegas tries to trade Dadonov to Ducks, Dadonov blocks trade (as is his right) because Vegas did not check in on the no trade list...

How is any of this Ottawa's fault?
    Unless Ottawa failed to disclose the partial NT clause (I think the NHL has a registry of contractual terms) or disclosed an incorrect NT list the rest is on Vegas.
    Even if Ottawa did not provide ANY list, how is it not on Vegas to ask for it before completing the trade to acquire him...

Either something is being left out or something is screwy.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post

Pretty sure the issue resides entirely with Ottawa representing to Vegas during their trade talks that there was no No-Trade clause attached to the contract. Turns out there was.

My own guess is that Ottawa's legal/contract team didn't have Dadonov's No-Trade list and the contract saved in the same location and made a big/terrible assumption. The timing of the Vegas-Ottawa deal was right at that trade deadline...so they were likely trying to tick all the boxes on clearing a trade quickly. They were in rush mode. It's pure conjecture on my part but it feels like truth to me.
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Jenner Frost Novak ---Rossi Cooley MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson Yager
    LW: Caufield Fiala Hagel Nichushkin ---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brink Kakko ---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan Lekkerimaki
    D : Theodore Seider Chabot Gostisbehere Liljegren Carlo ---Edvinsson
    G : Montembault Hart ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Zellweger Fehervary

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts
    2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm pretty sure Ottawa told Vegas, after Vegas asked Ottawa where it was, that Dadonov either didn't have or did not submit a no-trade list which was false, and Dadonov had submitted a list which included Anaheim.

From what little we know, I don't see how this isn't entirely on Ottawa. Sure, Vegas could have asked Dadonov or his agent if there was a list but maybe they didn't want Dadonov to hear they were trading him just yet? If Ottawa had his no-trade list and told Vegas it didn't exist, that's on Ottawa.

I believe Ottawa is having a conference call now. Maybe we'll get more details in the coming days.
    14 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 3 Keepers (round drafted+3) with 1 Goalie max.
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits // W, SV, GAA, SV%, SHO

3C: Norris, Danault, Barbashev (LW)
    3RW: Tippett (LW), Roy, Frederic
    3LW: Knies, Ehlers, Foegele
    4D: Dobson, Gostisbehere, Orlov, Power
    2G: Lyon, Husso
    1Util: M. Foligno (LW, RW)
    4Bench: Brossoit, Werenski, Marchenko, Rossi
    2IR: Zegras

Keepers: Dobson (6th), Tippett (11th), Norris (14th)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Hmm. The NHL waited until the Senators were sold to come out with this.

The shady dealing is being done by the NHL under Bettman.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Friedman talked about this yesterday with Marek yesterday. Ottawa did not inform Vegas about the 10-team no-trade clause when they acquired Dadonov which is what led to all the confusion with the cancelled trade with Anaheim. Plus, not revealing the details of the no-trade clause also increased Dadonov's value when Vegas initially acquired him.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMule_91 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ottawa told Vegas, after Vegas asked Ottawa where it was, that Dadonov either didn't have or did not submit a no-trade list which was false, and Dadonov had submitted a list which included Anaheim.

From what little we know, I don't see how this isn't entirely on Ottawa. Sure, Vegas could have asked Dadonov or his agent if there was a list but maybe they didn't want Dadonov to hear they were trading him just yet? If Ottawa had his no-trade list and told Vegas it didn't exist, that's on Ottawa.

I believe Ottawa is having a conference call now. Maybe we'll get more details in the coming days.
    Looks like I was wrong... According to the below article:
    Dadonov DID have a no-trade list (properly submitted and valid) but Ottawa told Vegas he DID NOT. That is a pretty egregious error.

At the time of the deal, the Knights were led to believe Dadonov didn't have trade protection because he didn't submit his no-trade list to Ottawa in time. It turned out that wasn't true. The list was apparently right on schedule and still very much in play. So when Vegas tried to trade Dadonov to Anaheim last year, it was vetoed because the Ducks were on his no-fly list.
    https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/ottawa...ov-trade-mixup

That deserves punishment.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Administrator

At the time I remember the NHL saying there would be no penalties handed out regarding the trade. I'm guessing some new infromation came to light fairly recently.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust