Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: RIP Adam Johnson - dies as result of skate injury

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: RIP Adam Johnson - dies as result of skate injury

I still refuse to watch the video, but based on the commentary in this thread and other articles, combined with the guy's well established track record, he should obviously be banned from ever playing hockey again for starters.

The issue is not whether he tried to murder someone (obviously he didn't) but in the real world negligence or incompetence resulting in death will get you incarcerated and IMO just because it's sports you should not get a pass.

Dobber Sports Sage

I expect rule changes moving forward.

Never understood people’s unwillingness when it came to wearing a neck guard.
    Always would wear one one as a skater, wished they were bigger to cover my long neck. Never would be bothered by them during play.
    I did not wear them, when given the choice, as a goalie since I had a neck protector piece on the chest protector that the two would cause issues, and also the big plastic deflector piece that hangs off the helmet.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

The Great One

Well there is a police investigation now underway…

https://theathletic.com/5017735/2023...shared_article

Seems not everyone agrees with you Rataylor, including the South Yorkshire Police.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Sage

It's standard procedure for them to investigate any unexpected/sudden death.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

The Great One

Did you read the article?
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I've read. People are saying he intentionally positioned his legs to make contact. If that is intentional, that is a kick. That is the fundamental part I am disagreeing with.
    I'm sure there isn't a single person on here that doesn't wish it was a "freak accident". Including me. I watched the video frame by frame as best I could with the quality of it and I believe he did position his leg to make contact thinking that Johnson's equipment would protect him. That may have been the 'freak' part. No, he wasn't going for an unprotected area, but unfortunately, that's where it ended up and that's why I believe he can be charged.

https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/stat...693064/video/1

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    It's standard procedure for them to investigate any unexpected/sudden death.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Did you read the article?
    In fact I did. Did you?

“As with all unexpected and sudden deaths, it is standard practice for police to investigate the circumstances fully and feedback our findings to HM Coroner."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    In fact I did. Did you?
    I did. Were there absolutely nothing to this, the line you quoted would be all there was to say. Being an objective reader who doesn’t have a point to prove or a hockey forum to troll it’s quite clear they there is some concern over how this occurred.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Being an objective reader, it’s quite clear that:

1) The local police have a mandate to investigate all unexpected deaths.
    2) A death in a sporting event is inherently unexpected.
    3) The local police do not understand the game of hockey and therefore need to speak to experts.

Nothing about those three points imply or state “there is something to this”. They all simply indicate this is standard operating procedure. It’s obvious that the ONLY way you could determine something beyond the three points above is if you SPECIFICALLY had a point to prove or a hockey forum to troll.

In fact they specifically state multiple times how this is standard operating procedure and they urge the public to avoid speculation, so the only way you COULD speculate there is anything to this is specifically only if you have an agenda.

Dobber Sports Star

Honestly, I don't get why neck guards aren't mandatory in most leagues. Helmets and visors are mandatory in the NHL. After the Malarchuk and Zednik injuries, it seems like a no-brainer to me. There have also been other pretty horrible skate cut injuries, but the neck is particularly vulnerable and exposed. I wonder if the NHL will grandfather them in. They should.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Honestly, I don't get why neck guards aren't mandatory in most leagues. Helmets and visors are mandatory in the NHL. After the Malarchuk and Zednik injuries, it seems like a no-brainer to me. There have also been other pretty horrible skate cut injuries, but the neck is particularly vulnerable and exposed. I wonder if the NHL will grandfather them in. They should.

Rylant
    They should just make them mandatory immediately. It's so funny that they have to grandfather these things in to appease current NHLer's. Any other business or company, if they implemented a safety procedure or program the employee's would be required to follow the rule immediately. I get the NHLPA is a union but a case could also be made that the team's are protecting their employees and assets thus it's within their right and obligation to keep them safe.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Genius

A side note I keep hearing from ex nhler's and people in the media that this was either reckless or that Petgrave intentionally lifted his skate. Cam and Stricks latest podcast's addresses this and Ryan Whitney on spitting chicklets said it was a reckless hockey play. They both stated they don't think he tried to murder anyone or get the neck but he lifted his skate on what was a reckless play. Accident or not.

Whitney said it best that he can't honestly give his assessment on what happened without calling it for what it is, a reckless hockey player. Anyone else media or otherwise like Elliott and Marek on 32 podcast just don't have the courage to take a definitive stance and call out Petgrave for fear of public backlash.

Dobber Sports All-Star

We don't know if Petgrave will be charged however, I wouldn't be surprised if the family sues Petgrave for 'Wrongful Death'.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    We don't know if Petgrave will be charged however, I wouldn't be surprised if the family sues Petgrave for 'Wrongful Death'.
    It sounds like the family is defiantly not accepting what happened on the ice as just a hockey play.

https://www.newsweek.com/adam-johnso...ckless-1840150

"It was very reckless. I just want them [authorities investigating] to get it right. We are looking for justice for Adam," she said.

"My nephew was 6-feet tall, and whether you lost your balance or not, to have that leg come up that high and do a kicking motion like he did, that is just unacceptable," she said. "I think the actions were unnecessary. It was just unnecessary. Nobody touched him. I've watched that video hundreds of times."

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    A side note I keep hearing from ex nhler's and people in the media that this was either reckless or that Petgrave intentionally lifted his skate. Cam and Stricks latest podcast's addresses this and Ryan Whitney on spitting chicklets said it was a reckless hockey play. They both stated they don't think he tried to murder anyone or get the neck but he lifted his skate on what was a reckless play. Accident or not.

Whitney said it best that he can't honestly give his assessment on what happened without calling it for what it is, a reckless hockey player. Anyone else media or otherwise like Elliott and Marek on 32 podcast just don't have the courage to take a definitive stance and call out Petgrave for fear of public backlash.
    Ya I have heard people on both sides of the argument. It's tough for me. I am a die hard hockey fan, but I really have a tough time watching these kinds of things, so I haven't seen it yet. It's tough to have a good opinion on the subject without seeing it first.

It's a strange conversation. A buddy of mine has the opinion that we are too soft and argued that neck guards can't prevent ALL possible cuts, so we shouldn't bother making them mandatory. I responded with "wanting to prevent deaths from accidental neck cuts with skates makes me soft?" And "yes of course some cuts may still happen even with neck guards. Are you saying, that unless we can prevent them all guaranteed, then we shouldn't try to prevent any?" This mentality is baffling to me...

Rylant