Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NHL Rescinds Pride Tape Ban

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: NHL Rescinds Pride Tape Ban

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I am still curious what there reasons were... I am sure they had a sophisticated reason for trying this.
    LMAO imagine being this desperate to cape for a league that shows it's ass at every opportunity.

The reason is it's a stupid league with stupid people in charge. Fin. It's getting dwarfed and passed by every competent league on the plant because it's a stupid league with stupid people in charge.

Mad props to Dermott. The only player willing to put his career on the line for something he believed in. Disappointing none of the other much more established players were willing to take a stand like this but they're not worth focusing on.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    LMAO imagine being this desperate to cape for a league that shows it's ass at every opportunity.

The reason is it's a stupid league with stupid people in charge. Fin. It's getting dwarfed and passed by every competent league on the plant because it's a stupid league with stupid people in charge.

Mad props to Dermott. The only player willing to put his career on the line for something he believed in. Disappointing none of the other much more established players were willing to take a stand like this but they're not worth focusing on.
    Okay, then leave and find a cricket forum to be a part of!

If you were smarter than all the people that make the decisions for the NHL... why are you not there and making the decisions?

Or is it really because the people that make the decisions don't align with the decisions you would make and therefore they are stupid?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

The Great One

Hey I like Cricket!
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Hey I like Cricket!
    mwGPUVN.jpg
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Titan

Okay, then leave and find a cricket forum to be a part of!

If you were smarter than all the people that make the decisions for the NHL... why are you not there and making the decisions?

Or is it really because the people that make the decisions don't align with the decisions you would make and therefore they are stupid?
    RA's delivery isn't great, but I agree with him here. The NHL guys running these things are just dumb and have no foresight. They have dealt with things by bullying their way through it and sweeping things under the rug for years, they're attempting to do the same things now without seeing the bigger pictures, and they're getting called out and having to backtrack. the reason they're still in charge is because it's still all about being an old-boys club that just makes money. They are here for the easy present decisions, and not inclusivity or planning. It's evident in nearly everything they do. Problem is they make the owners money so they aren't getting replaced or having new ideas brought in any time soon.

A lot of us have the foresight and wide view to see what the smart decisions would be in the long run, but regardless of us being "smarter", it's not just a job posting we can apply for every year when a rotation is up. The smarts of the current set of people is they know exactly how to do just enough to keep their job and make owners happy.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Hey I like Cricket!
    I like cricket too....not as much as hockey and not as much as this guy....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

The Great One

I’ve spent decent stretches working with Aussies and Brits overseas and learned the game, played the game, love the game. Hockey is still tops, but Cricket is wonderful.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    RA's delivery isn't great, but I agree with him here. The NHL guys running these things are just dumb and have no foresight. They have dealt with things by bullying their way through it and sweeping things under the rug for years, they're attempting to do the same things now without seeing the bigger pictures, and they're getting called out and having to backtrack. the reason they're still in charge is because it's still all about being an old-boys club that just makes money. They are here for the easy present decisions, and not inclusivity or planning. It's evident in nearly everything they do. Problem is they make the owners money so they aren't getting replaced or having new ideas brought in any time soon.

A lot of us have the foresight and wide view to see what the smart decisions would be in the long run, but regardless of us being "smarter", it's not just a job posting we can apply for every year when a rotation is up. The smarts of the current set of people is they know exactly how to do just enough to keep their job and make owners happy.
    Do we agree that the NHL is a business? And that the players are worth the money that they make?

The players make money and are happy with the money they make?
    The owners make money and are happy with the money they make?

I do not see the NHL as an activism platform.
    Is their risk associated with changing the structure of a business?
    How would someone that is 'smarter' guarantee that the changes they make are going to improve the business?
    Is there any risk associated with making the changes that the 'smarter' people with better 'foresight' then myself would make?
    Is there potentially some tunnel vision or 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' effects involved?
    There simply could not be any bias favouring one's own personal views could there?

Let's use the recent changes to Survivor as an example.
    Survivor is a successful business and they make a tonne of money.
    Their decision makers decided to ensure that 50% of the cast is part of some sort of minority group.
    What if these decision makers applied this to the NHL?

Some people would think that would be great because it is definitely being inclusive.
    And it would be making those people with those views very happy.
    Others on the other extreme would be very disappointed.
    The product could end up being diluted.

I know the above is an extreme example.
    But I hope it gets my point across.

There is no easy decisions to be made by those that make the decisions.
    And there is always risk associated with making new decisions for a business the size of the NHL.

​​

My take on why:

1. Bettman is a terrible commissioner, and honestly, the 4 major sports have mostly terrible commissioners.
    2. The NHL has shown, as others have said, they often plan to cover up and sweep things away later. It's a poor strategy when you're that visible in the media.
    3. The problem with really entrenched and old leadership is that sometimes they lose touch, and need to simply get the hell out of the way and allow fresh blood to take over, before they make stupid decisions.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Sorry PH, I'm not following at all what you're trying to say. I think it generally comes down to what Stevegamer laid out. It's not rocket science.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

People who run the league truly don't care about Pride or other social events that the teams hold and in turn, don't understand the issues they are trying to reverse. So they make decisions that aren't proper to try and keep the NHL out of the major news stations.

They don't care, so they don't try to understand, so they make dumb decisions when an issue rises up.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Intelligent people aren't in charge of the NHL because of obvious and demonstrable rampant nepotism. Pretty easy why to answer.

Does the NHL make money? Sure. I mean way less money than the other sports they think they should be compared to, but sure they make money. Are they losing market share to MLS and NASCAR? Yes. Are they going to get passed by those sports within the next couple years? Yes. Do they keep going backwards in relative popularity? Yes.

But yea, I'm sure the players love that they highest paid player today is making the same amount of money as the highest paid player 20 years ago. I'm sure they find that actually desirable and good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Sorry PH, I'm not following at all what you're trying to say. I think it generally comes down to what Stevegamer laid out. It's not rocket science.
    Sorry.... I never said it was rocket science.

What guarantees that your way is the right way?
    And that you would successfully do better than the current decisions makers?
    And that the Business of the NHL would not start losing money?

​​

Sorry.... I never said it was rocket science.

What guarantees that your way is the right way?
    And that you would successfully do better than the current decisions makers?
    And that the Business of the NHL would not start losing money?
    *Gestures at every other professional sports handling social issues properly and growing significantly faster* demonstrable evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    *Gestures at every other professional sports handling social issues properly and growing significantly faster* demonstrable evidence.
    So using this reasoning...

Why aren't Burger King and Wendy's not as successful as McDonalds?

Every fast food restaurant... just do what McDonalds does and you should be as successful as McDonalds.

​​