Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When did you start playing fantasy hockey?

The Great One

Default Re: When did you start playing fantasy hockey?

I started while in law school, maybe 1995 or 1996. We'd get stats once a week....by fax! To make moves you had to call an 800 number and key in the players by their numerical codes. And I'd actually call teams and pretend to be from the media in order to get injury updates on my players. I remember learning about the McKeen's Guide, which I knew no one in my league used, and having to deal with an out of town large newsstand to be able to order it to be sent to me in time to do research for my drafts. It was so much fun because it was so new and different. Not that I don't enjoy it today, but those early days were something else, and I feel bad for people who missed those glory days.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Probably late 1980s, give or take.

The only place to get updated stats was every Tuesday in the newspaper when they released the points for all players for each team. Then you got out your calculator and started adding.
    Yes! I couldn’t wait for the Star on Tuesdays to see the stats and update them on some random pool generator. I think the program was called Prostats. Started around 1985.

Administrator

Fall of '07, with some floormates in university. As you can see from my sign up date (April 2008) it wasn't long before I discovered Dobberhockey, which helped fuel what was a full on addiction by that point. Have never looked back. Still love the community here. Also, that league with the floormates, with some changes over the years, is still going to this day!

I still wonder if I'd have found fantasy hockey some other way or if winding up on the floor I did with the guys I did really did alter my path.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Pro

started in a playoff pool around 1993 - worked at the Airport in Kamloops bc unloading bags while going to college and got suckered in.
    Then moved north - was so stoked to get invited to a draft - we ordered pizza's drank beer and hacked on all picks
    we recorded picks on large sheets on the wall - points only league. those were the days
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, KA Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin
    Zherenko

Dobber Sports Master

since the late 80's , black grey elbows from leaning on the toronto star stats page .

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I started while in law school, maybe 1995 or 1996. We'd get stats once a week....by fax! To make moves you had to call an 800 number and key in the players by their numerical codes. And I'd actually call teams and pretend to be from the media in order to get injury updates on my players. I remember learning about the McKeen's Guide, which I knew no one in my league used, and having to deal with an out of town large newsstand to be able to order it to be sent to me in time to do research for my drafts. It was so much fun because it was so new and different. Not that I don't enjoy it today, but those early days were something else, and I feel bad for people who missed those glory days.
    That's a pretty cool story.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov