Thread: Keeper Advice

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Keeper Advice

Need some keeper advice for the league in my sig. Keepers slot in on the upcoming draft order relative to their draft position from the year prior (the number in bracket after each players' name). FA and players acquired via trade are automatically the last available pick of the draft (so pretty much 20th).

Because this is a shallow league where 160 players are drafted and only 40 are kept, I tend to prioritize elite high scoring wingers (particularly RW) and defenseman with scoring upside and solid category coverage.

I plan on being in contention this season (only 8 teams, so I think all managers intend to compete). I pick 7th out of 8 teams but I traded away a ton of decent draft capital the year prior. If I keep Kuch/Rants/Stammer I've only got 3 picks in the first 10 rounds.

With that said, I do intend on keeping the above 3. I just don't think I can justify not keeping elite scoring wingers (Stammer with FW) in a league this shallow. I am likely going with Meier and McAvoy as my other 2, but there can be a case made for Larkin, Trocheck, Morrissey & Ullmark based on their huge value relative to draft position.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Yahoo H2H categories, keep any 5, 3rd year of 5 year keeper
    8 team, 20 player roster

C-2, L-2, R-2, D-5, U-2, G-2, BN-5
    G, A, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SHO

C - Trocheck (14), Larkin (trade), Hayton (FA)

LW - Stamkos (6), Meier (20), Blais (FA)

RW - Kucherov (1), Rantanen (2), Giroux (trade)
    D - Carlson (4), Nurse (5), Doughty (9), Morrissey (13), McAvoy (trade), Dunn (FA), Andersson (trade)
    G - Ullmark (FA), Swayman (trade), Hart (trade)

Administrator

Default Re: Keeper Advice

Meier and McAvoy would be your 19th and 20th round picks so that makes a ton of sense.

I also really like Stamkos in the 6th, Morrissey in the 13th, Trocheck in the 14th, Giroux in the 18th (or later), Dunn in the 17th or (later), Larkin 16th (or later)

You know your league better than we do but I'd think if you threw Kucherov and Rantanen back in R1 and R2 that you'd stand a decent chance of re-drafting them or someone comparable. Since other teams are either holding their R1 guys or will be throwing similar talents back in the pool.

I think I'd keep:

Stamkos, Meier, McAvoy, Giroux and Rantanen.

You keep one of your elite wingers but still have your R1 pick in play to either reacquire Kucherov or a similar or maybe even better talent. And you've still got an awesome piece in Giroux (FOW from the wing) for the low cost of a late pick. If Giroux ain't it for you, then I could see Ullmark (you'd know better than us the value of goalies), Trocheck or Morrissey also. I don't think Kucherov or Rantanen are unimpeachable keepers for you.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If I read this right, this is year 3 of essentially a 5 year league. So no keepers for longer than 3 seasons, and a reset after that? These sort of leagues are generally about keeping value, and teams can apparently keep crazy value simply by trading elite players for each other late in the year.

I think Giroux & Stamkos are pretty close in value. Stamkos more offense, Giroux more FOW.

I agree with Steve above that I don't want to keep both Rantanen & Kucherov. I would keep neither, honestly, since you're short picks. Normally I'd ask about trading one for a pick, but the issue is that that guy gets kept as an 18th rounder, which sucks.

Can you possibly move some mid round picks up by moving late picks down? Say your 12th & 17th for a 10th & a 20th allowing you to keep extra guys at that 20th spot?
    Stamkos, Meier, McAvoy, Giroux, Dunn are my keepers.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Meier and McAvoy would be your 19th and 20th round picks so that makes a ton of sense.

I also really like Stamkos in the 6th, Morrissey in the 13th, Trocheck in the 14th, Giroux in the 18th (or later), Dunn in the 17th or (later), Larkin 16th (or later)

You know your league better than we do but I'd think if you threw Kucherov and Rantanen back in R1 and R2 that you'd stand a decent chance of re-drafting them or someone comparable. Since other teams are either holding their R1 guys or will be throwing similar talents back in the pool.

I think I'd keep:

Stamkos, Meier, McAvoy, Giroux and Rantanen.

You keep one of your elite wingers but still have your R1 pick in play to either reacquire Kucherov or a similar or maybe even better talent. And you've still got an awesome piece in Giroux (FOW from the wing) for the low cost of a late pick. If Giroux ain't it for you, then I could see Ullmark (you'd know better than us the value of goalies), Trocheck or Morrissey also. I don't think Kucherov or Rantanen are unimpeachable keepers for you.
    Thanks for the reply! I agree that Giroux in that spot is great value. If I send Kuch back into the pool I'd effectively have the 2nd overall pick (one of the other managers didn't have a 1st rounder from last year to keep so they will all but surely pick 1st overall, which I'd assume they'd use to pick Kuch). The players that would likely be available to me are in the Zibanejad/Tavares/RNH/Nylander range. I'm quite certain the elite RW's will be kept, including the likes of Svech/Marner/Miller). It just comes down to the value of getting Giroux as one of your last picks, which could be far greater than the difference between Kuch and the above players mentioned...
    8 team, 20 player roster

W, GAA, SV, SHO

D - Carlson (4), Nurse (5), Doughty (9), Morrissey (13), McAvoy (trade), Dunn (FA), Andersson (trade)

Administrator

Zibanejad would be a step down from Kucherov for sure, but a well-rounded performer in your scoring system.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    If I read this right, this is year 3 of essentially a 5 year league. So no keepers for longer than 3 seasons, and a reset after that? These sort of leagues are generally about keeping value, and teams can apparently keep crazy value simply by trading elite players for each other late in the year.

I think Giroux & Stamkos are pretty close in value. Stamkos more offense, Giroux more FOW.

I agree with Steve above that I don't want to keep both Rantanen & Kucherov. I would keep neither, honestly, since you're short picks. Normally I'd ask about trading one for a pick, but the issue is that that guy gets kept as an 18th rounder, which sucks.

Can you possibly move some mid round picks up by moving late picks down? Say your 12th & 17th for a 10th & a 20th allowing you to keep extra guys at that 20th spot?
    Stamkos, Meier, McAvoy, Giroux, Dunn are my keepers.
    Thanks for the advice! I'd consider keeping one of Rants and Kuch, with the former providing me with slightly better value at the 2 spot. And unfortunately, trading any of them isn't an option because of the reason you mentioned. Personally, I would prefer the system of players acquired via trade would retain their original draft positions (again, for the reason you mentioned).
    8 team, 20 player roster

W, GAA, SV, SHO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Zibanejad would be a step down from Kucherov for sure, but a well-rounded performer in your scoring system.
    Agreed, but in the grand scheme of things it's the value of Kucherov + whoever you will realistically get in the 18th-20th round (basically waiver fodder) vs Zibanejad & Giroux in that spot. Just tough losing a guaranteed elite scorer.
    8 team, 20 player roster

W, GAA, SV, SHO