Thread: Google Podcasts going away

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Google Podcasts going away

Not sure if anyone else here gets their podcasts from Google but I received an email yesterday from them saying they are no longer going to be doing them on that platform in the future. Here's the email:

Hi,
    Recently we announced that Google Podcasts will be discontinued next year. We wanted to reach out directly with more information on what to expect.

For now, nothing is changing, and you can continue to use Google Podcasts as normal. Over the coming months, podcasts in YouTube Music will be made available globally and we will start rolling out tools that will enable you to transfer your podcast show subscriptions from Google Podcasts. In YouTube Music, you will be able to listen to your podcasts just like you did on Google Podcasts, no paid subscription required. If YouTube Music isn’t for you, there will also be an option to download a file of your show subscriptions, which you can upload to an app that supports their import.

We acknowledge that this is a big change and want to thank you for being a loyal Google Podcasts user. We’ll reach out directly with more details over the coming months. In the meantime, if you have questions, please check out our Help Community here.

Sincerely,
    The Google Podcasts team
    I dont know where you listen to your podcasts, but I primarily use the Google podcast for most of mine. Not sure I want to switch to YouTube music for my pods.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Default Re: Google Podcasts going away

Same thing happened with Stitcher this summer. I've switched over to Spotify. I haven't gotten it to work as cleanly for me in terms of managing downloads/episodes but it's a good product otherwise. And I was already using it anyway for Spotify only pods.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Same thing happened with Stitcher this summer. I've switched over to Spotify. I haven't gotten it to work as cleanly for me in terms of managing downloads/episodes but it's a good product otherwise. And I was already using it anyway for Spotify only pods.
    I knew they did podcasts but I haven't got into using them yet. I may have to consider it once this chance takes effect. Ugh.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I knew they did podcasts but I haven't got into using them yet. I may have to consider it once this chance takes effect. Ugh.
    It can be annoying to have to change/adapt to a new service, but think of it as a healthy way to switch things up. Maybe it's a chance to drop some pods you weren't following that much.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

It can be annoying to have to change/adapt to a new service, but think of it as a healthy way to switch things up. Maybe it's a chance to drop some pods you weren't following that much.
    True. Hopefully they carry the ones I do listen to regularly though. That's my bigger fear.

Dobber Sports Monster

I use Pocket Casts. I would use Google but I found the app really uncustimizable.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Yaaaa I got this note as well. I'm sure Spotify has most or all of them for free. Google seemed to be behind in the game anyway. I always noticed when hosts would mention where to download their show, they would almost never say Google.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Any other votes? At least Stitcher was reliable, haven't found a replacement. Did an hour of research and came away with Podurama, which is OK, but the app dies on me from time to time. Fairly irksome. I might check out Pocket casts, it received a good amount of love but I can't remember why I decided against it. Thanks and good luck, gents.
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Dobber Sports Sage

I just open my podcast app that was on my iphone and it downloads... what does that use? lol
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I just open my podcast app that was on my iphone and it downloads... what does that use? lol
    Probably Apple Podcasts? LOL!

Dobber Sports Deity

Looks like most of my main podcasts are available on Spotify so I should be in the clear. Crisis averted for me lol