Thread: Keeper Decisions - Struggling

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Keeper Decisions - Struggling

I have an upcoming keeper deadline for an auction draft, and am struggling with some decisions. Scoring format is 3 points for Goals, 2 points for assists, 0.2 for SOG. Starting slots are 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 1 UTIL, 1G. $200 auction budget minus the total dollar amount spent on keepers. Prices below reflect how much of my auction budget it would cost to keep said player.

John Tavares - $19. I am debating if I want to drop him and try and win him back in the auction for cheaper. Sentiment on him always seems to be lower than his actual production.

Joel Eriksson Ek - $8. Seems like he's always a better real-life hockey player than fantasy asset. I am high on him though and think he could still up his production this coming season. Opinions on Rossi taking his 2C slot seem to vary.

Brandon Montour - $3. He was a fun ride last season, but looks like he'll be occupying an IR slot (we have two) until at least December. Not sure I want to bother since much can change during that time, and he was always a long-shot to replicate last season's stats anyway.

Administrator

Default Re: Keeper Decisions - Struggling

How do the points work? Is this H2H, or are there "active" slots where you can keep accruing points while Montour's on the waiver wire and not costing you?

I'd be looking for any excuse to keep him at that price point. Even if he misses half the season, he'd still be a bargain the following year.

JEE seems pretty locked in with Boldy and on the Wild's PP1 since he is the only real strong FOW guy they have with offensive touch. I think he's a solid bet for 55 points, with a little upside. If that's worth 4% of your budget then he's a keeper.

Tavares probably costs about the same if you try to re-buy him. If he has wing eligibility I keep him at that price.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    How do the points work? Is this H2H, or are there "active" slots where you can keep accruing points while Montour's on the waiver wire and not costing you?

I'd be looking for any excuse to keep him at that price point. Even if he misses half the season, he'd still be a bargain the following year.

JEE seems pretty locked in with Boldy and on the Wild's PP1 since he is the only real strong FOW guy they have with offensive touch. I think he's a solid bet for 55 points, with a little upside. If that's worth 4% of your budget then he's a keeper.

Tavares probably costs about the same if you try to re-buy him. If he has wing eligibility I keep him at that price.

It is head-to-head format. RE: Montour i can easily just keep him and then stash on IR/add a player immediately following the draft...may just go that route. Thinking about it more....I've seen reports that both he and Ekblad are skating daily as part of a rehab group. That being the case, I feel like optimism one or both return sooner than the projected mid-December timeline is warranted.

RE: Tavares, I was thinking the same in terms of dual eligibility. The league is on Yahoo, and unfortunately they only have him listed as C (though i have noticed in past years they are pretty liberal about adding positional designations throughout the year).

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by BooBird View Post
    It is head-to-head format. RE: Montour i can easily just keep him and then stash on IR/add a player immediately following the draft...may just go that route. Thinking about it more....I've seen reports that both he and Ekblad are skating daily as part of a rehab group. That being the case, I feel like optimism one or both return sooner than the projected mid-December timeline is warranted.

RE: Tavares, I was thinking the same in terms of dual eligibility. The league is on Yahoo, and unfortunately they only have him listed as C (though i have noticed in past years they are pretty liberal about adding positional designations throughout the year).
    No-brainer to keep Montour then. Even if he isn't back until February he can help you come fantasy playoffs. At that price it's too good to pass up.

I'd wait as long as possible on the Tavares decision to see if Yahoo adds LW eligibility depending on where he lines up in the pre-season.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Montour is a no-brainer keeper at that price.

Ek depends on whether or not you expect him to go for about the same amount or not. YOu say you're high on him, so I keep him.

I agree with Steve (aka metaldude) about waiting on the eligibilty from Yahoo. They are easily the worst major fantasy sports host.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Montour is a no-brainer keeper at that price.

Ek depends on whether or not you expect him to go for about the same amount or not. YOu say you're high on him, so I keep him.

I agree with Steve (aka metaldude) about waiting on the eligibilty from Yahoo. They are easily the worst major fantasy sports host.
    Ek's peripheral stats give him an edge IMO over the typical run-of-the-mill 60point forwards, and I keep thinking he's got another gear to kick in if he gets an entire season on a scoring line in addition to his net-front duties on the PP.