Thread: Cossa

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Cossa

What are everyone’s thoughts on Cossa? Play any games this season? Worth holding onto long term in a keeper league?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Cossa

I won't make a guess on this year if he will play or not, but long term if you can hold him in the Minors I'd be doing that. I think as long term investments go for Goalies he is a Good option.
    14 Team H2H pts keep 12 plus 10 minors
    Skaters G, A, Blk, FOW, HIT, STP, PIM, Tk, SOG. bonus for D pts
    Goalies GA, SV, SHO, W, OL

C - Aho,
    Danault, Granlund, Seguin, Domi
    LW- Nichushkin, Svechnikov, Vatrano, Palat, Marchment
    RW -Rust, M Tkachuk, Konecny, Pavelski, Ehlers
    D - Carlson, Seider, Karlsson, Ekblad, Krug, Manson, Gudas, Walman
    G - Georgiev, Vanecek, Talbot, Daccord
    M - Gauthier, Savoie, Kasper, Nazar, Bolduc, Bystedt, Cossa, Daws

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sean avery fan View Post
    What are everyone’s thoughts on Cossa? Play any games this season? Worth holding onto long term in a keeper league?
    Worth holding onto is going to be based on the setup of your league. How many do you keep, what are the rules, etc.

As for playing games this season, Cossa needs to first gain a foothold in the AHL before we can talk about the NHL. He was bad in his few AHL appearances and played mostly in the ECHL. Slow progress and patience is the order for this player.

Just in general, when investing in a goalie prospect you should be thinking about a 5-7 -year wait before they arrive.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Magnificent One

With him as everyone mentioned it’s the wait and see. Sadly he isn’t off to the greatest of starts this season already. Not sure on the entire prospect tournament but he got lit up against Columbus letting in 5 or 6 goals and got pulled.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Sage

Trade him if you can get much for him. Looks like Yzerman galaxy-brained that pick rather than picking Wallstedt.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yep. I read that he is not that good. Not sure you will get the moon for him. He also have Augustine in line with him.
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He could get games if Detroit has a lot of injury issues, but I'd gladly deal him for a more sure prospect, especially a skater.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

He just shat the bed pretty hard in a pre season game- sort of imploded and let in 8 or something. Honestly though he's a fiery competitor I feel like guys like kipper and risk were consistently elite but had the odd meltdown too. Itll be something he has to reign in but not necessarily all that noteworthy- i only mention it cause it literally just happened.

Any NHL games this season?! Not a chance- lmao! Youre hoping for a seamless transition out of the ECHL. If he's "the guy" in Grand Rapids- thats a good season of development- even an up and down year. From there you'd be looking for a year or two dominating the A and then a shot in Detroit. There hasn't been a goalie who had a positive impact on their NHL club before they're age 25 season in decades at this point so Cossa at 20 is pretty much on par for the course right now.

Cossa remains what he is the day the RWs drafted him- a project. Unlike Askarov and Wallstedt whi had been co sisterly dominant going into the draft he was a kid who had one stellar season- but decided the size and raw tools were too much to pass up. They got ahead of themselves and threw him in the A where other top goalies start out and he got SHELLED. He can be a top goalie someday but there are no promises here and you're taking the long road to get there.

I think the Augustine pick actually told us a lot about Cossa. Cossa is a wildly talented kid who can be all over the place with his positioning and mindset. If he can get those elements under control- hes probably an all star. If he can't they have Augustine a technically precise type of tender who may not have the same high end reflexes and response time but will be able to provide quality foundational goaltending in the future. Dont get me wrong I like Augustine but if Cossa was the wild swing for the fences- I feel like he's the safety on base bunt.

Cossa 9ne of the most misunderstood prospects out there. In goalies you want am assurance hes going to play NHL games and Cossa doesn't even provide that. Hes all tools roght now. IF he can figure things out and thats a big IF- he projects as a beast but I'm not sure id put those odds at much better than 50/50. Askarov, Wallstedt, and Wolf all provide a similar ceiling with a much much safer floor. Cossa is not for the feint of heart haha!

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by berni67 View Post
    Yep. I read that he is not that good. Not sure you will get the moon for him. He also have Augustine in line with him.
    I think thats overstating it. His upside remains elite- his raw tools are stellar and hes 6"6. Hes got a lot of issues that a lot of young goalies have that lead to inconsistency- poor positioning, overly aggressive, a bit of a temper- but if he can reign those things in- he has the capacity to be one of the best goalies on the planet. If he doesn't he won't make the NHL. I wouldn't say he's bad necessarily hes all boom or all bust. The takeaway today is that he was always going to take this long- if you liked him on draft day he represents the same odds of hitting today that he did then- the same timeline. Hes an intense competitor and I love drafting those guys myself- hes going to make a serious go of it...

Augustine is an insurance policy and a smart one- but it doesn't mean that Yzerman has decided Cossa is a bust..

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Trade him if you can get much for him. Looks like Yzerman galaxy-brained that pick rather than picking Wallstedt.
    That i agree with absolutely! Hes galaxy brained a few picks now but none worse than this...If you can get askarov, walsstedt, levi- even wolf- id add significantly for anyone of them.

If you can get those guys id do it- but there's something to be said for holding the course too. If he can't crack the AHL this year or he gets decimated there- id start to worry. Today though he represents the dlsame risk he always has...

Dobber Sports Master

I think he's going to bake in the AHL for at least 2 seasons .

Dobber Sports Immortal

Big turnaround year for him. He's been amazing.

Cossa has been a significant part of their rebound in 2023-24. He has gone 20-8-9 in 37 games to go with a 2.42 goals-against average and a .913 save percentage.

He went 19 decisions without a regulation loss (13-0-6) from Jan. 19 to April 5, establishing a franchise record. After an up-and-down first part of the season, Cossa has gone 16-2-6 with a 2.01 GAA and a .923 save percentage since Christmas.
    https://theahl.com/cossas-progress-c...ong-as-planned