Thread: Philadelphia - Recommendations

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Philadelphia - Recommendations

Gents,

Heading to Philly in November to see Eagles v. Cowboys, I am a die-hard Eagles fan and it will be my 1st live NFL game.

Anyone been and have any recommendations?

- recommendations on seating in the stadium? Was planning on getting the tix in the next week or so, but can hold off if someone with experience would advise to do so lol
    - where to eat/drink?

... really anything is helpful.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Philadelphia - Recommendations

Out of curiosity, how did you come to being a Eagles fan?

Are you in town solely for the day of the game, or are you planning to stay for more than one night? Where will you be staying? Driving/flying/training?

I haven't gone to the Linc to see an Eagles game, because of ticket prices and also because I've been down on the NFL for a while. I have been there to see soccer. Generally the seats are good, but you can get more specific advice elsewhere.

The #1 place you need to eat is John's Roast Pork due to proximity to the stadium and quality. The Roast pork sandwich is the best one I've ever had, and I've eaten a lot of roast pork sandwiches in Philly and elsewhere.
    It's a shack on a corner that has won a James Beard award.

I can give you lots of advice on anything to do that doesn't relate to the stadium itself, even parking or public transit options.

Link here: https://johnsroastpork.com/
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I will 100% eat there, thank you. Started watching football in the early 2000's when Philly had McNabb and T.O., they were my favorite players so ended up sticking with them.

I'm passing through Philly for work, so I'll be there on the Saturday and Sunday, flying out on the Monday morning. Have no work plans at all either day, so I'm totally free to do whatever.

I'll be staying near the airport, I think the firm has a deal with the Fairmont or the Marriott, so they will book me in there. Won't have a car, so I'll be doing public transport or Uber for wherever I go.

Dobber Sports Deity

I've been to some Phillies games a few years ago. I recommend going to the park early to partake in the tailgating parties going on. When we were there we just walked around and talked to people and before you knew it we were partying with lots of people we didn't know
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

John's isn't open on Sundays, so that's important to note that you'll be there on Saturday.

Public transit from the airport area to the stadium is doable, but not great, as there aren't really completely direct routes. I've taken SEPTA to the stadium area hundreds of times, and I used to live walking distance from the airport, so much so that I've actually walked home from there. If you plan to do that, you'd want to take the 37 or 68 to the Broad Street Subway, but Uber is probably better.

However, if you want to sightsee, a one day SEPTA pass can be very helpful. Airport Line to downtown, and lots of options from there.

Good things to do, we have world class museums here:
    Reading Terminal Market - housed in the former Reading RR main terminal in Philly; yes the one on the Monopoly board. Good food, and many options.
    Independence Hall & the Liberty Bell - yes it's completely standard tourist stuff, but it is that for a reason. Plenty of other history stuff.
    Mutter Museum - if you like oddities and/or science
    Penn Museum - if you like archeology
    Franklin Institute and/or Academy of Natural Sciences - if you like science
    Rodin Museum, Museum of Art, Barnes Foundation - if you like art.

If you've got other interests, let me know what they are.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Out of curiosity, how did you come to being a Eagles fan?

Are you in town solely for the day of the game, or are you planning to stay for more than one night? Where will you be staying? Driving/flying/training?

I haven't gone to the Linc to see an Eagles game, because of ticket prices and also because I've been down on the NFL for a while. I have been there to see soccer. Generally the seats are good, but you can get more specific advice elsewhere.

The #1 place you need to eat is John's Roast Pork due to proximity to the stadium and quality. The Roast pork sandwich is the best one I've ever had, and I've eaten a lot of roast pork sandwiches in Philly and elsewhere.
    It's a shack on a corner that has won a James Beard award.

I can give you lots of advice on anything to do that doesn't relate to the stadium itself, even parking or public transit options.

Link here: https://johnsroastpork.com/
    John’s is awesome!

For a higher end meal, try WM Mulherin’s in Fishtown, superb

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Superstar

Frankford Hall