Thread: Best "One-Year Keeper"

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Best "One-Year Keeper"

Ok so my league is 90% a 1-year league but has limited keepers with some specific keeper rules:
    1. Only 2 keepers allowed.
    2. Keepers for maximum of 2 years.
    3. To keep a player you "pay" a draft spot 2 rounds higher than where he was drafted the previous season.

What this means is no player drafted in the first 2 rounds can be kept and the real value is in drafting a guy late (8th round plus) and keeping him.
    From last year's team I have a few options, none of them amazing:

As a frame of reference, last year I kept Fiala in 6th and Bratt in the 10th.
    Options for this upcoming season:

1. Fiala in the 4th - seems high he likely goes here at best. Last year's 4th included: Reinhart, Tavares, Kadri, Jarry
    2. Bratt in the 8th - good value - last years 8th: S. Theodore, Giroux, Binnington, S. Bennett
    3. Logan Thompson - 11th - he he starts in Vegas that is good value, worried about Hill after his cup run.
    4. Gustavsson - 10th - good value but would have to ensure I draft MAF around 11th/12th.
    5. Nelson - 14th round - good value if he is anywhere near his 70 pts from last season.

Nothing Super exciting in the mix. I'm leaning towards keeping Bratt as a 75-80 point player in the 8th is good value.
    2nd keeper I do like Gustavsson in Minnesota and then committing to taking MAF in the second half of the draft.

What Say Dobberites ?
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Best "One-Year Keeper"

Fun set-up.

I think your plan with Bratt is a good idea even though I’m personally not a big fan of his. But he should provide decent enough value at that stage.

I like the idea of keeping Gus as well and targeting Fleury. How early you have to commit to Fleury really depends on your league mates though. His perceived value seems extremely low this year so you may be able to get him later than expected. The Minny tandem should be a solid own this coming season as well.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Titan

I would keep Bratt and Gus, and then worry less about Fleury. Looks like it's a 12team league, so I could even see Fleury not be drafted in most leagues. Not someone you reach for regardless of whether you have Gus or not.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^I like the Bratt (8) and Gus (10) rounds.
    I think the 4th round will have a lot of "Fiala" types... and I think you don't "gain enough" value in that keep-spot.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'll echo everyone so far and say Bratt and Gus. I would be a bit tempted by Gus and Nelson, as Nelson is such good value for a 14th, but overall I think Gus and Bratt is the best play

Dobber Sports Titan

I've been in football leagues where it's this "keep in round X" set up, and I tend to lay out my roster and what round keeping them costs vs where their ADP is in other leagues. I'll then take the top players in that list, and think over them.

Bratt ADP is roughly 82 vs 8th round (96)------ +14
    Gus ADP is roughly 63 vs 10th round (120)------ +57
    Fiala ADP is roughly 71 vs 4th round (48)------ (-)23
    L.Thompson ADP is roughly 171 vs 11th round (132)------ (-)39
    B.Nelson ADP is roughly 147 vs 14th round (168)------ +21

It's kinda weird right now with Yahoo just opening, and the ADPs could be off. But I would rank them:
    1. Gust
    2. Bratt
    3. Nelson
    4. Fiala
    5. Thompson
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

Another vote for Bratt and Gustavsson.