Thread: Tarasov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Tarasov

What are the basic expectations for Tarasov in the next couple years?

In my 32-team dynasty, salary cap, points league, I have a chance to acquire him with Dumba (50% retained) for Girard. I'm not overly fond of this deal, but it does help me save $3M-ish and add to my depth (while getting rid of Allen).

From a purely statistical viewpoint, Dumba made 17fpts less than Girard last season. I only need Tarasov to give me 17 fpts (or Dumba to have some sort of rebound) to get even. Depending on the short-term prospects of Tarasov as a backup in Columbus, this deal may or may not be worth gambling on.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Tarasov

I don’t think Tarasov is far behind Merzlikins. Elvis will get more starts, but with Werenski and Boqvist back, and the additions of Severson, Provorov, and Babcock, yeah I’d make this trade. Girard is buried in Colorado’s blue line, won’t sniff the PP.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Genius

While your reasoning has many flaws and we can’t see your league setup or roster, I’m not a big fan of Girard. If goalies are valuable, Tarasov is a good gamble and 3M is a big savings. If your roster can fit this 2 for 1 and you don’t lose any streaming advantage, go for it.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Deity

It would help if you could share your league information and roster. Your post doesn't give enough information to give an accurate reply. Maybe create a signature that lays it all out. (ie what platform do you use?, salary cap?, how many start at each position, full roster, do you have a minors system to stash kids like Tarasov in? how many teams in your league? full keeper or re-draft league?)
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

32 teams, 83.5M salary cap
    Points league G 1 A 0.5 STP 0.25 SOG 0.035 Hit 0.025 Block 0.1 (defense carries a 0.15 fpts bonus)
    Start 4C, 6W, 1F, 6D, 1SKT, 2G 3Bench

C Scheifele, Trocheck, Couture, Danault, Brown
    W Guentzel, Kucherov, Wilson, Wheeler, Carrier, Olivier, Holloway
    D Sergachev, Trouba, Burns, Girard, Chatfield, Stecher, Bolduc, Lacombe
    G Georgiev, Allen

20 minor spots available and currently 95K under the cap with no bench player

(Nevermind my signature which is for another league.)
    12 Teams H2H Dynasty, 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 12 bench
    G: 4.5 A: 2.5 STP: 1 SOG/Hits/Blocks: 0.5 W: 3 SV: 0.25 GA: -1 SHO: 2

C: Zibanejad, Couturier, Couture, Kadri, Nelson, Pageau
    LW: Miller, E. Kane, Schenn, Crouse, Vatrano, Henrique
    RW: Kucherov, Wilson, Giroux, Toffoli, Tippett, Wheeler, Eberle, Brown
    D: Chabot, S. Jones, DeAngelo, Krug, Spurgeon, Orlov, Gudas, Fehervary, Fowler
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Thompson, Montembeault
    IR: Landeskog

21 minors (< 80GP):
    F : Miroshnichenko, Brink, Kovalenko, Beckman, Phillips, Sokolov, Farrell, Poitras, Dufour, Whitelaw
    D : Spence, Svozil, Pickering, Lacombe, Kaiser
    G: Silovs, Fowler, Bussi, Ersson, Zherenko, Kolosov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    While your reasoning has many flaws and we can’t see your league setup or roster, I’m not a big fan of Girard. If goalies are valuable, Tarasov is a good gamble and 3M is a big savings. If your roster can fit this 2 for 1 and you don’t lose any streaming advantage, go for it.
    Out of curiosity, can you briefly point out the flaws in the reasoning you are observing?

I added my league setup and roster in the post above for your reference.
    12 Teams H2H Dynasty, 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 12 bench
    G: 4.5 A: 2.5 STP: 1 SOG/Hits/Blocks: 0.5 W: 3 SV: 0.25 GA: -1 SHO: 2

C: Zibanejad, Couturier, Couture, Kadri, Nelson, Pageau
    LW: Miller, E. Kane, Schenn, Crouse, Vatrano, Henrique
    RW: Kucherov, Wilson, Giroux, Toffoli, Tippett, Wheeler, Eberle, Brown
    D: Chabot, S. Jones, DeAngelo, Krug, Spurgeon, Orlov, Gudas, Fehervary, Fowler
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Thompson, Montembeault
    IR: Landeskog

21 minors (< 80GP):
    F : Miroshnichenko, Brink, Kovalenko, Beckman, Phillips, Sokolov, Farrell, Poitras, Dufour, Whitelaw
    D : Spence, Svozil, Pickering, Lacombe, Kaiser
    G: Silovs, Fowler, Bussi, Ersson, Zherenko, Kolosov

The Great One

I would absolutely take this deal. You own Allen and Georgiev. Tarasov is going to take over in Columbus. May still be a year or two before he’s starter. But his ceiling makes Allen look like a chump. Dumba for Girard is fine. I think notch is referring to flaws in the way you are looking at the points between D and a goalie and for this season alone. That’s not how you should view this.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Tarasov has 28gp in AHL and is under .900sv%.
    In 17gp in NHL last year, he was at .892sv%.

People holding him are clinging onto his hopes based on his .925sv% of Ufa KHL from 20/21.
    His last 4 NHL games from last season... he gave up 6, 4, 5, and 4 goals against.
    I mean... ugh, what a way to end the season. Silly CBJ throwing him to the wolves.

IDK.
    I held UPL (BUF) for several years... and when the AHL numbers weren't there... I dropped him.
    I held Sogaard (OTT) for several years... and when the AHL numbers weren't there... I dropped him.

The NHL has shooters >>>> AHL.
    If a guy can't make the saves in the AHL... I don't know why he's going to start making them in the NHL.

I think a lot of people have gotten so glazed over from Sorokin/Shesterkin success that they now expect every goalie coming from KHL to be a big hit.

IDK.
    I'd love to hear what people have to say about Tarasov from two straight years of underwhelming stats.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

People holding him are clinging onto his hopes based on his .925sv% of Ufa KHL from 20/21.
    His last 4 NHL games from last season... he gave up 6, 4, 5, and 4 goals against.
    I mean... ugh, what a way to end the season. Silly CBJ throwing him to the wolves.

IDK.
    I held UPL (BUF) for several years... and when the AHL numbers weren't there... I dropped him.
    I held Sogaard (OTT) for several years... and when the AHL numbers weren't there... I dropped him.

If a guy can't make the saves in the AHL... I don't know why he's going to start making them in the NHL.

I think a lot of people have gotten so glazed over from Sorokin/Shesterkin success that they now expect every goalie coming from KHL to be a big hit.

IDK.
    I'd love to hear what people have to say about Tarasov from two straight years of underwhelming stats.

Guilty as charged, but I dropped him basically once he was sent down. Didn’t leave me with much hope so I moved on. Hard not to buy into early hype, and I’m very bad for that, but at least it allows me to think harder about my picks in the future. Even if I’m still not as consistent as I’d like to be lol!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Are there any cheaper alternatives than Tarasov that someone is willing to part with?

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

IDK.

IDK.
    Tarasov had hip surgery in February of 2022. Before his injury he played in four games that season, with a 2.40 goals-against average and .937 save percentage. We knew he was going to be rusty to start 2022 and then Columbus had a miserable defensive season last year with very little structure. As a Tarasov owner, I am hoping that his recovery and the awful CBJ defensive structure are the main reasons why he was so terrible last season. With a retooled blueline, Babcock's defense-oriented structure, and 100% health, I am expecting Tarasov to regain his trajectory as the goalie of the future for Columbus. Tarasov has all the tools to be an above-average starting goalie. Goalies are weird and a year from now it wouldn't surprise me to be either dropping Tarasov or penciling him in as goalie to rely on.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

With goalies it’s all about the opportunity. As Dobber has said, most good NHL goalies are not fantasy relevant until age 25. The truly special ones can be relevant younger (23) but Tarasov isn’t the next Carey Price. He’s 24. So giving up on a goalie who has shown he can be a solid starter too soon is not a good idea. Either way he’s certainly a better risk than Allen who plays for the not so good Habs and has seemingly lost the starters job to Montembleaut. And has DeSmith there now as well. Allen is almost worthless. I’d take this trade if it means adding goalie depth beyond Georgiev.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Tarasov had hip surgery in February of 2022. Before his injury he played in four games that season, with a 2.40 goals-against average and .937 save percentage. We knew he was going to be rusty to start 2022 and then Columbus had a miserable defensive season last year with very little structure. As a Tarasov owner, I am hoping that his recovery and the awful CBJ defensive structure are the main reasons why he was so terrible last season. With a retooled blueline, Babcock's defense-oriented structure, and 100% health, I am expecting Tarasov to regain his trajectory as the goalie of the future for Columbus. Tarasov has all the tools to be an above-average starting goalie. Goalies are weird and a year from now it wouldn't surprise me to be either dropping Tarasov or penciling him in as goalie to rely on.
    P7's points are absolutely valid but as Daydream Nation points out Tarasov owners do have reason for hope as Tarasov was not particularly well positioned for success having to recover from that surgery and being thrown under the bus during last year's CBJ's train wreck season. He is 24, so still on track to be potentially fantasy relevant in a year or two. Given you have a farm system I think stashing him and replacing Girard with Dumba is well worth taking a chance on while saving the 3 MIl in cap.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd take this deal and not look back.

1. You save salary, which allows you to add a bench player.

2. In a 32 tam league, somebody has to want Allen for volume, so you should be able to deal him for skater help. We know Jake Allen is not a quality NHL starter, and he's an okay backup. Tarasov may only be a NHL backup, but he's at least cheap.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.