Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dobber Top 10!!! Week 3 - Video Games

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Dobber Top 10!!! Week 3 - Video Games

Video games! Fun.
    From being a kid (mid 80s) through now... I've always - never stopped - have enjoyed video games.
    I'll do my top 10 in chronological order of when I played them.

1984 - Pac-Man. I saved allowance for over a YEAR to get a stand-alone mini console to play this one. Eventually we got an Atari and I played it there.
    1986 - King's Quest III. When my parents got our first PC (Tandy?), I loved all the King's Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest... and even the Leisure Suit Larry series. I remember KQ3 as my fave.
    1988 - Super Mario Brothers. Officially the game came out in Oct.1985... but my sister and I had pooled our money to rent a Nintendo (my parents said "PC is enough") for a few weekends. Epic.
    1989 - Contra. The two-player same screen game was the biggest memory of elementary school. The boys in my class would get together - sharing tips - getting those 30 lives. This was the first game when we got to the end it was like this team high-five as if we had won the 12-year old Stanley Cup. UpUpDownDownLeftRightLeftRightBAselectStart. And whoever got the SPREADER gun, oh my!

1994 - NHL '94. This was high school... so playing sports, studying, and girls got most of my time. But I had a few buddies with a Sega Genesis - and this game just seemed mind-blowingly awesome at the time.

1997 - Tetris. In University, engineers didn't have a lot of time... but head-to-head Tetris was one of our favourites. Lots of good trash-talking. By end of U... we were playing some other version with fruits or colours, but similar side-by-side drop-down style.

2001 - Final Fantasy VIII. For clarity, 8 is NOT the best FF game. But... it happened to be when I bought my first PS1 console, I got this game... and it absolutely captivated me. I've played 7,8,9,10,11,12,14. If I had more money... I'd have a PS5 for the 15.

2007 - Rock Band. Boy... I had some good nights getting completely wasted at house parties with buddies and trying to knock out 4-man versions of Rock Band songs. Such a good team game effort for late-night drinking activity. Played this series for 4-5 years using PS2 and PS3.

2012 - Skyrim (Elder Scrolls V). I mean... damn. This was big, open world with high-end graphics at its highest. I think I had it on PS3. Just such a great value. Must've burned 200+ hours. Back when my first-born was preschool, I let her ride the horse to take me from place to place - good bonding. I was all BOW & ARROW - love the long range sniping.

2022/23 - Last of Us I and II. Just recently got back into video-gaming and these two games... I played them BOTH through... TWICE. Once for the experience, a second time for the full/perfect collection of items/artifacts. Coupled with the HBO show release... it was just really nice.

2022/23 - MarioKart 8 (Nintendo Switch). It's really cool when you can find a game you & the wife/gf are equally good at. This is ours. Every Friday/Saturday night. Side by side. Lots of trash talking & communication. Lots of high fives. And now... a course with a hockey arena to drive through! #Vancouver. Yeah... we have the Booster Pack courses! We three-star that shit!

Honorable Mentions:
    *Donkey Kong from my Atari days
    *John Elway's QB from my PC days
    *SimCity on PC. Great game - but I always got to a point where the city got away from me and I couldn't reel it back in.
    *Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (4-player) at the Arcade. Early 90s, my church alter boys group went to Toronto - something with the "cardinal" - one weekend. We got 2-hours in a mall... and all.we.did.was.throw.quarters.in.TMNT. Completion? You betcha.
    *NHL 99 on my PS1. I had a couple good buddies that liked playing this in 2003. One guy would use Buffalo and try to score with Satan just so he could say it... incorrectly, intentionally, of course.
    *Plants vs. Zombies. I love, love, lover TOWER defense games. Loved the strategy for this one.
    *Final Fantasy VII. The best one - but, it was tough to play since I played it on "old graphics" about 10 years after it came out.
    *Overcooked. I love couch co-op games... wish I had buddies these days. I play this with my kids but apparently sometimes "Dad gets too intense and bosses us around". LOL.
    *Persona 5. I was maybe 20% into this when I got very busy with a house addition. I plan to pick it back up eventually - really enjoyed it... just ran out of time.

Dobber Sports Titan

Kinda in order...but not really....

1. Last of Us
    2. Red Dead Redemption 2
    3. COD 2019
    4. Batman: Arkham Knight 2015
    5. MW2 (the Original one)
    6. GTA V (2013)
    7. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
    8. Pokemon Red/Blue
    9. Golden Eye
    10. Super Smash Bros.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ace

Kind of in order, some of them I just played way too much of

1. Skyrim
    2. Diablo (all of them)
    3. Twisted Metal (all of them)
    4. Shadow of Mordor
    5. Battlefied 3, 4, 1
    6. Destiny II
    7. Minecraft
    8. Gran Turismo 1 and 2
    9. Guitar Hero II
    10. Borderlands 2
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    1989 - Contra. The two-player same screen game was the biggest memory of elementary school. The boys in my class would get together - sharing tips - getting those 30 lives. This was the first game when we got to the end it was like this team high-five as if we had won the 12-year old Stanley Cup. UpUpDownDownLeftRightLeftRightBAselectStart. And whoever got the SPREADER gun, oh my!

1997 - Tetris. In University, engineers didn't have a lot of time... but head-to-head Tetris was one of our favourites. Lots of good trash-talking. By end of U... we were playing some other version with fruits or colours, but similar side-by-side drop-down style.

2001 - Final Fantasy VIII. For clarity, 8 is NOT the best FF game. But... it happened to be when I bought my first PS1 console, I got this game... and it absolutely captivated me. I've played 7,8,9,10,11,12,14. If I had more money... I'd have a PS5 for the 15.
    I never knew Contra had a 2 player option. I played it a bit single player, but not much. It was good, hard. Played like Robocop.
    I played a lot of Tetris on the gameboy. Never had the hookups for 2 player which is unfortunate. Once it was easy to clearing the fastest level with highest rows, it lost its luster.

FFVIII was the first Final Fantasy game I got too! For PC though. I really enjoyed the card game in it. Played XII a bit on Playstation.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Icon

I forgot a few of my very first video games that have nothing but great memories for me. Four from way back on the intellivision.

Lock n Chase
    Tron Deadly Disc
    Astrosmash
    Advanced Dungeon and Dragons - I played this lady year on an emulator and still got spooked when the dragon popped out

Dobber Sports Sage

Top 10 (NES/SNES) (In no order - and probably forgot some)

Ice Hockey
    Simpsons Game
    Battletoads
    Street Fighter II
    Killer Instinct
    Mario Kart
    Mega Man
    Dragon Warrior II
    NHL '94
    The Legend of Zelda

Dobber Sports All-Star

First one is the only one for me really but:

Skyrim
    Oblivion
    Double Dribble
    Medal of Honor
    NHL 94
    Madden football
    Castlevania
    Blades of steel
    Asteroids
    Any Civilization
    Contra (2 player game was unreal)
    Pitfall

Too many to list, great topic. Good times.

Dobber Sports Icon

That's a solid list.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Seeing a lot of Skyrim at the top of these lists.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Skyrim was just... like the first video game that was huge AND dense AND busy.
    Those three things hadn't really been put together.
    Meaning there was significant stuff fairly close - so it didn't feel like empty-huge.
    Eventually, you get a horse and then you can get to worlds edges. But man... it was just so crazy huge & loaded with interest.
    I loved just walking the perimeter of the whole land, pushing to the outermost boundaries.

[Main quest was good, there were off-shoot paths, and then sub quests, and dungeons - you could be quite selective about how broad or narrow you wanted to take your gameplay.]

The telltale of its awesome is that it was made for PS3 and then they pushed it all the way to the PS5.

Reading:
    https://www.fastcompany.com/1679118/...ending-fantasy

Metacritic critics average it to a 92 - which is elite-level for games.
    (The score from fans would be higher - but like the recent Cyberpunk 2077 - the initial release was a bit glitchy - and gamers hate that. By 2013, it was smooth though... and a current edition would be super tight.)
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/play...rolls-v-skyrim
    ^One will note, on reading reviews - that the greatest hate on it came from software issues (frame rates, etc.) within the first month or two of release.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Here is the Dude Perfect video for this weeks segment.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Never played a ton of video games, though I did play some COD with my brother when we were both in highschool, and Halo with one of my roommates in university - a bunch of NHL video games over the years too. The only game I really played on my own was in my early teen years playing the Ratchet & Clank series. Very nostalgic for me at this point, and actually find that sometimes I'll put on just the soundtrack from it while I'm working.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

I just never had time for Skyrim, was playing other games.
    I heard Ratchet and Clank is good. Just haven’t played it.

Myth I’ve even played briefly, but I don’t remember even what kind of game it is lol.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Here is the Dude Perfect video for this weeks segment.
    I don't do those guys.
    Yugg. Gross, gross list.
    Hard pass.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

As prefaced in the opening post... I haven't played video games for a long time.
    And this is highly influenced by the games my friends owned.... and games that I have played.
    There are so many games on other people's lists that I have not even heard of... Skyrim?
    Never heard of it until I saw it on these lists.

1. GoldenEye 007
    2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.
    3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    4. Mario Kart (on Wii or 64)
    5. Guitar Hero/Rock Band
    6. Halo
    7. Sled Storm (this game also had an amazing soundtrack)
    8. Roller Coaster Tycoon
    9. Super Mario 64
    10. Wave Race 64