Thread: Auston Matthews trade proposal

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Auston Matthews trade proposal

A league run team in the league I am commissioner of received the following trade offer:

Trade away Auston Matthews to get Josh Norris, Logan Cooley, Frank Nazar and a 2024 1st round pick (Pick likely in the 15 to 20 range).

It's a 28 team full dynasty league (keep players until they are unsigned UFAs) that uses 4 lines of LW-C-RW, 6D, 2G rosters with NHL AAVs and the NHL salary cap. Stats counted include G, A, +/-, hits, takeaways, blocked shots, FO % (for centers), PK time on ice , minutes played per game.

Is this a deal that a league run team should accept? Team won't be competitive this season but went for it the last few seasons so doesn't have many (any!) future assets right now.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Auston Matthews trade proposal

Ugh. What are your rules for league run teams? Obviously the goal is to have none, but that's not a real scenario sometimes.

I'd lean towards passing if I were the commish because it could generate a lot of ill will.

In a twist, I do think the value is pretty fair, and if I got that offer I'd probably want a little bit more in that format, but would strongly consider it a starting point.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Wizard

In combined (adding years for all leagues) 23 years of leagues i commish I only had 2 teams I was running and usually only till end of season. But both times GMs were told that transactions with that team are frozen until new owner takes over… just eliminates possibility of drama…

Having said that… if I owned Matthews, I would want that main piece to be bit better than Norris. I would also be ok with not getting the pick but getting more quality back

Dobber Sports Icon

It's a 24 year simulation league that's been using Websim for the past 3 seasons. Over the last 5 years, we've averaged 2 or 3 league run teams per year. We actually contracted the league from 31 to 28 teams this summer to try and eliminate that problem. The one league run team now is in a terrible position due to the previous GM being overly aggressive in trying to win. The team has Matthews, Hertl, Nurse and a bunch of guys who will be UFAs next summer and almost no future assets.

As commissioner, my goal with the team is to make it more attractive for a new GM. That's how I look at any trade and this is why it would take a monster offer to move someone like Matthews. This offer was big enough that I thought I would ask my fellow Dobberites for their opinion.

With that said, if anyone wants to take on a massive rebuild project in a real stat based sim league that makes it feel like you are a real GM, and has a free agent auction system and a live video conference entry draft, let me know as I have a team for you!

Dobber Sports Newbie

Tough for me to say exactly how screwed this league run team is without knowing all the details. Based on what you provided here, I realize some players will need to be shed to make the team more attractive. However, I dont think you make this trade with the current return. For the following reasons:

1: I just finished a full 32 team dynasty salary draft for reference, Matthews went 8th overall. If your giving up perhaps the 5 - 15 (just to give a range) best player as valued by salary cap managers in the entire world, you better be getting a whole lot in return.

2: If im the manager of that team, Cooley is the bright spot for me in what im getting back, however playing on Arizona can kinda be a dark cloud hanging over promising fantasy players heads.

3: I would need something more than Norris and Nazar. Potentially replacing both Norris and Nazar with one other player who is better. Alternatively, adding another 1st as a 1st round pick in 15 - 20 range isn't high enough.

4: Lastly, any person looking to take over a team would love to have a cornerstone franchise player on that team. I think keeping Matthews on that team is more enticing for someone taking it over (Again unless the return is super good).

Just my two cents, best of luck!
    12 Team - Salary Cap/Minors/Keeper League (5th Year)

🥇🥇 Time Repeat Champion
    🥈 Second Place

Salary Cap $114.7M, 12 Minors, Keep 18 of 22 Active NHL Players

Scoring Cats: G=2, Defence G=3, A=1, Defence A=2, PPP, SOG, Hits, +/-

C: Larkin, Necas, Rantanen, Zibanejad, W. Johnson
    LW: Compher, Ehlers, Nichushkin, Stuzle, Gaudreau
    RW: Duclair, Kakko, Kucherov, Tippet, Fiala
    D: Bouchard, Dunn, Morrissey, Rielly, Addison, Dobson, McAvoy
    G: Gustavsson, Vanecek

Minors: Bordeleau, Lapierre, Phillips, Roy, Brink, Holtz, Smith, Daws, Knight, Woll

Dobber Sports Icon

That's the conclusion I came to as well. Unless an offer blows me away, it's best for the team to keep Auston Matthews until we find a new GM. If it becomes clear near the NHL trade deadline that he is going to become an NHL UFA next summer, he's too good of an asset to move. He's the type of guy you build a franchise around and not one you move to help a team.

With that said, they were just able to trade Jeff Carter and Matt Roy for Trent Frederic, Matt Grzelcyk, a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick. That's the type of moves they need to make to restock their asset cupboards.

Dobber Sports All-Star

If I owned AM I would definitely pass on that deal. Cooley is nice but Norris is not moving the needle for me. Like you said, he is the type of player you build around no matter what team he's on. Good luck.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

The Great One

Near the end of last year I traded Matthews in a multicast roto league for a 1st (5th OA), B Tkachuk, and Dahlin. That’s the sort of return he should fetch.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Near the end of last year I traded Matthews in a multicast roto league for a 1st (5th OA), B Tkachuk, and Dahlin. That’s the sort of return he should fetch.
    Nice, lovestruck Leaf fan no doubt.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Icon

That's not market value, that's highway robbery. Nice work!