Thread: Extended Warranties - Did You Know?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Extended Warranties - Did You Know?

The TV thread made me think of posting this, but I was completely unaware of this myself so I'm making a thread in hopes it will help someone else.

You know how in the fine print of most Credit Cards it will have a blurb about Extended Warranties? Well...we just had a 1.5 year old TV crap out on us. I was VERY pissed. Best Buy would not cover anything because their warranty was only 1 year.

Someone suggested calling my credit card and asking about their Extended Warranty policy. It took some calls and filling out forms, but eventually our CC agreed to cover the cost of fixing our TV because their Extended Warranty policy was up to 3x what the vendor warranty was. So I just received a cheque for $200 and will just be putting that toward a new TV instead of fixing my piece of crap TCL.

Anyways....maybe people knew this. But supposedly it can work in a lot of situations....

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Extended Warranties - Did You Know?

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    The TV thread made me think of posting this, but I was completely unaware of this myself so I'm making a thread in hopes it will help someone else.

You know how in the fine print of most Credit Cards it will have a blurb about Extended Warranties? Well...we just had a 1.5 year old TV crap out on us. I was VERY pissed. Best Buy would not cover anything because their warranty was only 1 year.

Someone suggested calling my credit card and asking about their Extended Warranty policy. It took some calls and filling out forms, but eventually our CC agreed to cover the cost of fixing our TV because their Extended Warranty policy was up to 3x what the vendor warranty was. So I just received a cheque for $200 and will just be putting that toward a new TV instead of fixing my piece of crap TCL.

Anyways....maybe people knew this. But supposedly it can work in a lot of situations....
    i did know that in the back of my mind, but ive never triggered it lol...
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Sage

Thanks for the reminder. I know my Discover Card used to give a lot of coverage on items and different scenarios that they have since done away with. Think I'll go look at my cards and see what their coverage is.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

Not exactly analogous, but often the insurance you're asked to pay for when renting a car is already covered by your credit card. Of course - pun intended - your mileage may vary, but do look into it since it could save you a non-nominal amount you'd probably otherwise pay.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Stud

I believe some credit cards also cover travel insurance (medical) up to a limit if you book your flight with the card.

Dobber Sports All-Star

It always pays to read the fine print.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I knew about this, but have never had to use it. When I was dating then married, the future and later (now ex) wife always wanted to pay on her card with her shit credit. She didn't have warranty protection. Her prior boyfriend got her a 'deal' on a lease for a 1990 Dodge Shadow at about $375/month.

I did once buy a used car on my Discover card for the extended warranty coverage.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I had no idea about this. Is this primarily in the US or is this just credit cards in general? Great info thanks!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    I had no idea about this. Is this primarily in the US or is this just credit cards in general? Great info thanks!
    It's dependent on the credit card, and the level of the credit card. Prepaid cards don't generally have anything remotely like that. I think American Express has it on every one of their cards, but exact rules change. It's often a 90 day sort of warranty, and it often even covers theft.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    I checked and have it on all my Canadian cards. The person I spoke to used the example, "if you're walking out of a store with a vase and you drop it in the parking lot. Extended Warranty should cover that".

And ya as I said with the TV, they covered an additional year from what the retailer offered.