Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The (What-Do-You-Own) Television Thread

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: The (What-Do-You-Own) Television Thread

1. What do you currently own as your primary TV/screen?
    2. When did you buy it?
    3. How much did you buy it for?

55" Samsung 4k bought 5-6 years ago for $1k at best buy sale.

4. How is it aging?
    Still does everything as promised. I dont use the smart features much but it has Plex and most of the basic apps.
    5. When do you see yourself buying your next?
    Not for a while, only reason would be to upsize I dont have the space for anything bigger. My eyesight doesnt justify a fancy new screen either. However, my buddy has an LG C2, that almost had me.
    6. What do you (did you) love or hate about it?
    I bought it as a temporary TV so it has done much more than expected.
    7. Anything else?
    LG C2, get one.

Dobber Sports Sage

Oh I forgot I do own a 48” (I think) Sony CRT television lol.
    I got it for free I just had to pick it up (people were moving and want to shed stuff)
    That was over 10 years ago.
    Still works - it’s at my uncle’s house and my cousins have their consoles hooked up to it.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Oh I forgot I do own a 48” (I think) Sony CRT television lol.
    I got it for free I just had to pick it up (people were moving and want to shed stuff)
    That was over 10 years ago.
    Still works - it’s at my uncle’s house and my cousins have their consoles hooked up to it.
    Working CRT TV's are often free. Considering that we now have to pay to recycle them in most places in the US, and that they are heavy old tech, people want them to go away. They are good for those of us into retro console gaming.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

FWIW, before I joined the Navy, I used to sell retail electronics (TVs, home stereos, computers, cell phones, etc). I started out installing car stereos and when I left the company I was working for, I was running one of their locations in the Maritimes. Now it's been a few years since I've been in the "game" but I am still quite informed in regards to retail electronics as old habits die hard and it's something that still interests me.

1. What do you currently own as your primary TV/screen? 55" Sony Bravia LCD
    2. When did you buy it? I've had this one for probably 5 years now.
    3. How much did you buy it for? $799 + tax if I remember correctly.
    4. How is it aging? Picture quality is still fine. No issues. Sound could be better.
    5. When do you see yourself buying your next? Not until I need to but I am funny like that. I dont need the latest and greatest because there's always something coming tomorrow. I'll buy the latest and greatest when I need it. You cant keep up no matter how much you may try.
    6. What do you (did you) love or hate about it? As mentioned already, I dont find the sound great on it, but that's to be expected from most TVs. If you want quality sound, you buy aftermarket external speakers to enhance the sound experience.
    7. Anything else?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

For us, it's a Samsung and only Samsung.

I've owned a 55" Samsung since 2011 and upgraded to a Samsung 65" QN90 4K in December 2022 (Boxing Day Sale). Cost was $1200 CDN. There was nothing wrong with the older TV, the only issue I had was it didn't have Wifi capability - so no streaming. We kept the old TV and use it in our rec room on occasion.

The QN90 has been fantastic. Easy to set up and navigate through the apps and TV selections. Colour is amazing and watching sports is like being in at the event. Movies are next level imo. The new Samsung along with a good sound bar makes all the difference. Prior to becoming a Samsung man, we had a 42" Sony. It was good for the era, but Samsung is the next level.

Cost isn't everything when it comes to TV's - remember - you get what you pay for....
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Pro

Loving my 82" Samsung purchased a few months before covid-19

I'm spoiled but I can't imagine ever going back to a smaller screen.

Dobber Sports Sage

This thread has taught me two things: 1) The number of TVs I've gone through is way more than most. 2) I should look into getting a Samsung for my next TV.

Note- I never had an issue with my 2 CRTs and ended up giving them away to gamers who still use them.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    2) I should look into getting a Samsung for my next TV.
    Yes/no.
    It's no longer as simple as saying "buy Samsung".
    Nope... no... hard no.
    I've been researching for 3+ months now.
    That's just incorrect.

Samsung (& Sony) are probably the two electronics companies that have stayed "reliable" for 20+ years now.
    This much is true.
    10+ years ago - people may remember - Panasonic and Toshiba were considered very reliable TV mfrs.
    Things change. TV technology changes.
    The players change in the TV technology game.
    LG, in last 5-10 years, has joined Samsung & Sony.
    Those three are the "big three".
    Their high-end television sets are quality & high-end... and that also means that a lot of us... can't afford them.

As example, those three mfrs have the top 25 ranked sets for 70" and larger according to consumerreports.

Samsung makes a range of TVs.
    Their high-end TVs are - non doubt - high-end.

But Samsung isn't making "mid-range" OR "budget" TVs better than other companies.

Their most popular "mid-range" TV by Samsung is the Q80B.
    RTINGS has this rated as a 7.5
    It can be purchased at Best Buy for $1104 US for the 65".

The very most popular "budget" TV by Samsung is the CU7000.
    RTINGS has this rated as a 6.7.
    It can be purchased at BestBuy for $479 US for the 65".

But... RTINGS does not have the Samsung as their best "Mid-Range" TV pick.
    They go with the Hisense U8H there... giving it a score of 8.3.
    And that TV can be had at BestBuy for $899 US (though it is often, I've been tracking it, lowered to $799. It was $799 on Amazon just yesterday, today is back up to $899... to match BestBuy and Walmart).

Just like there has always been...
    There's 3-4 ways to make a TV.
    Once upon a time it was CRT... then it was LED vs Plasma
    Now it is OLED (high end LG) vs. QLED (Samsung) and WOLED (Sony) vs. MiniLED (TCL & Hisense).

A lot of people believe that MiniLED is gaining the most ground.
    And many, many, many people believe that MiniLED (Hisense & TCL) is best "bang for your buck". ***

Where the high-end LG/Samsung/Sony really shine is in high-quality production video.
    You can get this:
    i) Through BluRay/HDR disc. (*DISC... not "streaming")
    ii) PS5 or Xbox gaming
    iii) PC-delivered gaming/content via high-res high-quality internet.

But... most people watching "streaming" content - and a lot of platforms have downgraded image quality to push that through.
    Also... not everybody has "GIGABIT" high-end internet.

People that mostly watching "streaming" content through Amazon/Netflix are actually watching a fairly NOT high-end video quality.
    They don't NEED a high-end TV. In fact, they SHOULD be buying "mid-range" or "budget".
    And for those reasons... they do NOT need a high-end TV set. Which means... they don't NEED a LG/Samsung/Sony.
    So - when most of us say "My old TV is fine."
    Well.. it IS fine. And it's fine because Netflix/Prime/hockey-streams aren't going to look significantly better on your rich buddy's big HDTV.

So - unless you can justify high-end resolution (BluRay/HDR disc watcher, PC-gamer, Gigabit internetter)...

Then you might as well just go "mid-range".
    Best mid-range bang-for-your-buck right now is Hisense or TCL.
    [and most TV reviewers agree.]

Dobber Sports Deity

There's so many things that can affect TV picture quality, primarily the source. I can remember back in the day TVs were sold as progressive or interlaced (the P or the I you would see after your resolution, ie 720P or 1080I) but if the source itself isn't at that quality, or progressive/interlaced, it didnt matter if the TV was or not. The TV can only put out what is going into it. For example, in regards to Netflix, it comes down to what plan you subscribe to. The Netflix Standard with ads, Standard, and Premium plans all support Full HD (1080p) streaming, but the Basic plan only allows for streaming in normal HD (720p). Just because your TV is 1080P capable, if you have the basic plan for Netflix, you're only watching 720P. Something to consider when shopping. It's always better to have a TV that can do more, but just keep that in mind as you're watching today. Better to have tomorrows technology if you can afford it, even if you arent using it today.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

How many people actually take advantage of their TVs 4k/8k resolution? How do you guys get that quality from your content provider (Cable, streaming, online, disc)? Just curious if it's something that you should be having on your "must" list.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Better to have tomorrows technology if you can afford it, even if you arent using it today.
    Sounds like an 80's TV commercial or a sales pitch.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Sounds like an 80's TV commercial or a sales pitch.
    LOL! I've probably used that one a time or two back in the day.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    How many people actually take advantage of their TVs 4k/8k resolution? How do you guys get that quality from your content provider (Cable, streaming, online, disc)? Just curious if it's something that you should be having on your "must" list.
    Some streaming services include 4K... I think HBO, Apple, Disney+.
    Some... you have to pay for it. Most people are not aware that they have to step-up their Netflix to highest tier to get that top-end resolution.

EDIT: Apparently - only HBO gave 4K as part of the package.
    But the new "MAX"... you have to go and upgrade pay for it.

Another feature to consider is ATSC3.0.
    This is basically a built-in "over-the-air" (OTA) TV antenna tuner that can capture 4K quality video IF... IF... your local mainstream channels offer it.

"Antenna television is back."
    In early 2023, broadcasters were utilizing ATSC 3.0 in around 50 local markets, including Los Angeles, Portland, and Washington, DC. By the end of the year, 75 percent of US households will have access to ATSC 3.0, according to Pearl TV, a broadcaster group that’s promoting the standard under the Nextgen TV moniker.
    (Many people don't know about this perk, either!)

For those in the USA - here's a list of ATSC3.0 (4K!!!) OTA stations.
    Canada probably has a list of these somewhere too.

So... if you are in a major market that has 4K... in US, say, NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX...
    Then if you have this tuner in your TV... you can get the high-res feed.

A lot of people that enjoy Saturday/Sunday football through the major networks get incredible sharpness if their TV can handle it (ATSC3.0).

In Canada - I'm not sure what antenna feed gives you guys. Doesn't sound like you guys have the 4K ATSC 3.0 yet...
    I grew up with the CBC HNIC feeds in Windsor... that would've been insane to get 4K hockey for free (over-the-air) these days.

I actually believe (based on reading/research) that this 4K OTA may drive an uptick in TV sales this year & next.

Dobber Sports Icon

If you are willing to spend a little more money the LG C2 is arguably one of the best TVs available. Get last year's model and nit this year's to save some money as they are pretty much identical.

Dobber Sports Titan

@P7

Thanks for the info on the updated 4k options. I got to say I was in the dark about how much the 4k streaming options have improved. In a few yrs it'll be widely available.

I just want SN online to upgrade from 720p...
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll