Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Erik Karlsson to Pittsburgh [TRADE]

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Erik Karlsson to Pittsburgh [TRADE]

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    D: San Jose. Hoffman and Granlund going to roadblock the kids (Eklund, Bordeleau)... and the team has no puck-moving D and the only asset they get is a 1st rounder that'll be 25th-32th overall. Yeesh.

That 1st rounder is top 10 protected (not that this discredits anything you said)
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Sage

This is along the lines of what I thought the trade would look like.

"I think a 1st, another late pick, and some minor prospect gets the deal done assuming SJ doesn't retain that much. Grier is probably holding out for 2 main pieces which is the sticking point right now. Petry and Granlund make a combined 11.25 M. I'd be surprised if this deal doesn't get done."

It's easy to say Karlsson should have returned more but no other team was willing to beat Pittsburgh's offer AND was a team Karlsson was willing to go to. Don't we see this all the time with our own leagues? You can say what a player should return but if no one is willing to pay the price, they player is not worth that asking price. Does anyone think SJ turned down a better offer? Should Grier have waited longer? Should he have waited till the trade deadline? Karlsson has been injury-prone and he's 33. And if SJ kept him for more than 2/3 of the season, how many games does he help SJ win?
    Last edited by Daydream Nation; August 6, 2023 at 2:10 PM. Reason: missed word
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ace

I think Montreal deserves a tip of the hat for showing everyone that they could have waited for Michkov.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Wizard

Selfishly, best part of this trade for me is fact Thad Nedelkovic just became Pit’s backup

Dobber Sports Stud

Grier was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He had to get this deal done this off-season. Karlsson's value will probably never be higher. He just had a historic season but the major injury concerns haven't gone away. One more major injury and his value goes down the tubes. And there was basically one team interested at this point. Seattle, if they ever that serious, signed Vince dunn long term which probably ended their karlsson interest. Toronto, I think ghe conversation went like this: so you're gonna eat half the salary, right? And once Carolina signed DeAngelo they were out on karlsson. So just pittsburgh was left. Almost impossible to trade such a massive, long term contract. If anything, grier's mistake was not getting this done earlier when Carolina was still interested.
    This deal is similar to my thoughts had the oilers trade for karlson at the trade deadline. It's not the team need, but it'll be such great hockey. Karlsson on the same PP as sid, geno and guentzel, that's awesome. I think it'll take some time to mesh, especially with guentzel injured and Malkin a band aid boy , but I see them turning it on in the second half and just making the playoffs. And they wouldn't be a fun team to play in the first round.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Star

Sharks for fleeced but it is what it is. Much bigger liability if EK doesnt get moved now.

Good for Pittsburgh this is fun. Will now try to sell EK high if someone is willing to pay
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Deity

Grier not retaining anything close to 50% is a big win for him. People are saying he didn't get a good return but it's all about the cap. If everyone wanted to see big names headed to SJ, Grier would have been jammed into retaining $5.75M per year x 4yrs. He said he wasn't doing that and he stuck to his guns.

The cap space gained by Grier makes this a good trade for SJ, not a bad trade.

I loom at Montreal and scratch my head. The took back Petry, who wanted out of Montreal a year or so ago, so I'm sure he's real excited about headed back there. DeSmith doesn't make sense. They are set in the NHL for goalies in Allen and Montembeault. Sending DeSmith to the AHL does nothing for Primeau's development, so what's going in there. Getting rid of Hoffman is the only real win for Montreal.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Grier not retaining anything close to 50% is a big win for him. People are saying he didn't get a good return but it's all about the cap. If everyone wanted to see big names headed to SJ, Grier would have been jammed into retaining $5.75M per year x 4yrs. He said he wasn't doing that and he stuck to his guns.

I loom at Montreal and scratch my head. The took back Petry, who wanted out of Montreal a year or so ago, so I'm sure he's real excited about headed back there. DeSmith doesn't make sense. They are set in the NHL for goalies in Allen and Montembeault. Sending DeSmith to the AHL does nothing for Primeau's development, so what's going in there. Getting rid of Hoffman is the only real win for Montreal.
    And a 2nd round pick is not too bad either
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Ace

So what is everyone thinking Karlsson puts up if he can play 70+ games? I have him at 65 in 70. Max 70 in 80. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Letang has a small fire lit that causes a little Burns/Karlsson issue for Karlsson owners.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by berni67 View Post
    And a 2nd round pick is not too bad either
    Who was the last 2nd round pick Montreal drafted that played significant time for them? PK Subban? The pick looks good on paper but useless if they don't turn it into anything viable.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Re Montreals goalies: they actually have 2 goalies at the NHL level they don’t need. Primeau is no longer waivers exempt and so would be exposed were he sent down. I guess they could just stick him in the AHL with no hope of a call up but I also thinks that means he can’t attend camp. They need to trade Petry again and two goalies.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Re Montreals goalies: they actually have 2 goalies at the NHL level they don’t need. Primeau is no longer waivers exempt and so would be exposed were he sent down. I guess they could just stick him in the AHL with no hope of a call up but I also thinks that means he can’t attend camp. They need to trade Petry again and two goalies.
    No one is giving up assets for the goalies in Montreal that they would expose. Primeau hasn't proven anything yet and DeSmith is a below average backup at best.

The Great One

No one’s in need of a backup and a young guy with potential? Perhaps they’d be better off capitalizing on Montembleaut’s World Cup performance. There are definitely options there. I’d be fine going into the seasons with DeSmith and Primeau. They aren’t making the playoffs. Go for another good pick.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

This is my thoughts as well.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Yeah, odd piece to the deal in my opinion. Interesting news for Pittsburgh fans. Only problem is Karlsson and his big salary cap, Pitt already had a great puck moving d-man, and this doesn't address any of their weaknesses.
    The NHL really has pulled one on fans when so many think “scoring more goals” is bad when the point of the game is to score more goals than the other team.