Thread: My teams botom end skater prospects - who to keep?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default My teams botom end skater prospects - who to keep?

20 team multi-cat cap league with over 1000 players owned. Propsects are most definitely not my forte.

I realize that it's hard to answer this without knowing who is available. To give you an idea, recent threads here were started on Amadeus Lombardi & Leon Gawanke. Both are on rosters. There is at least one Dobber writer in this league, and that tells me it's pretty good ownership.

I'm pretty much locked into my main roster due to salary cap and # of minors eligible players, so the question is if any of these 3 guys have NHL regular upside and a likelihood of enough production to merit keeping at least until the season starts. I figure thing may become more clear then, and I also will have at least one player be eligible for either IR or the minors, unless teams start carrying 3 goalies.

PIT Jonathan Gruden C,LW
    Played some in the NHL last year. Could be useful if he gets any reasonable amount of minutes at the NHL level or just for a bit of help on a light night. However, he seems to be a bottom 6 or third line type, which if he's physical enough would have value. Just unsure that he'll get time in Pittsburgh.

MTL Rhett Pitlick LW
    I feel like Pitlick is the biggest wild card since he's in college. Inclined to hold him, but it could be that I can drop him for somebody with more chances to grow in value.

MIN Daemon Hunt D
    Top 4 D that are cheap have value in this league, if they are physical. He seems like a guy who may be close enough to hope on for 24-25.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: My teams botom end skater prospects - who to keep?

Daemon Hunt is worth keeping. Minnesota is going to need cheap depth for a few more seasons and Hunt could provide that. Gruden seems pretty buried in Pittsburgh so I doubt he's more than an injury replacement this season and then a free agent next summer. Pitlick is probably never going to amount to much but it's a deep league so it would depend on what you could replace him with.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm in a league with really deep farm rosters and Hunt is the only one of those that is owned. I think you can safely move on from the other 2 and look for better options even if the only options are long-term projects or high risk, I think it's still better than waiting on a player that has minimal upside.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I’m going Hunt on this one. Even if he doesn’t hit 30 points ever the peripherals will be fantastic and Minnesota is going to need cheap help for the next few years.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Thanks everyone. It's clear that you all think Hunt is a keeper for me.

Gruden would be useful if he gets NHL minutes and is physical, but that seems like just a maybe and a longer shot. I've seen guys like him come across the wire - I just grabbed Joe Veleno a few weeks ago for free, dropping another unlikely physical producer, and I figured he's worth a shot, as he should be able to really be a third line center. I gather that he's the best of these to cut for when I see another interesting useful name.

While probably hold Pitlick for now, and see what he does in college.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.