Thread: Boldy Vs Zegras vs Cozens

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Boldy Vs Zegras vs Cozens

I Have a League that is a 10 Team PTS only
    It follows the NHL salary cap witch will be 83.5 M$ for next season and we take the AVV

I have to keep 7 Forward (no distinction in position) and i have an embarrassment of riches

So far my keepers are
    - McDavid 12.5 M$
    - Jason Robertson 7.75M$
    - Elias Pettersson 7.35M$
    - Joe Pavelski 3.5M$
    - Chandler Stephenson 2.75M$
    - Owen Tippet 1.5M$

My last spot is between one of those 3 and maybe a (4th option)
    - Trevor Zegras RFA
    - Matt Boldy 7M$ x 8 Years
    - Dylan Cozens 7.1M$ X 7 years
    - Gabriel Vilardi 3.437M$ x2 year

If we remove the cap part i would rank them like this:

Zegras (Good: Really like what he's doing with no line mates, scoring leader when he's a playmaker tells a lot about teammate quality, Bad: Probably an 8M$ contract)
    Boldy (Good: Nice Contract, will definitly outplay is contract in the long run, Bad: Less upside than Zegras ??
    Cozens (some people like him better than boldy and zegras for some reason

Vilardi (Good: contract would give me cap relief, Bad Injury prone witch is really penalizing in our league)

I feel like i am leaning toward Matt Boldy by factoring contract and upside. Maybe Vilardi for some cap relief ?

I cannot keep 2 of them as i only have 19M$ of cap space left for 6F 3D 1G during the draft and I am already dropping Vince Dunn and Vasilevki for cap relief. I will be competing for a top spot next season

Witch one of the 3 / (4) would you get ?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Boldy Vs Zegras vs Cozens

You may have to draft scraps due to salary issues but I would still drop Stephenson and Pavelski and keep all 3 youngsters… figure out the cap later

Dobber Sports Deity

If you do a search you'll find a few recent threads comparing these players.

Boldy vs Zegras here:

https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...ghlight=Zegras

Boldy vs Cozens here:

https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...ghlight=Cozens

No Cozens vs Zegras but you should be able to figure out rankings from these threads.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    You may have to draft scraps due to salary issues but I would still drop Stephenson and Pavelski and keep all 3 youngsters… figure out the cap later
    This would give me 1.2mil per player during the draft. This is almost impossible and not feasible if you want guys that will play throughout the year. Lineup is locked once season start. People are jumping on those those small contract during draft. I am also competing this year so I would rather have Pavelski, Chandler and add Clayton Keller threw the draft let say then to keep 2 of those guys and get 6F 1G 3D random under 1.2mil that probably wont even be in the line-up. Late rounds are rough. Give me 10 contract under 1.2mil and ill tell you that they are pretty much all taken.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd keep Chandler as his pts/AVV ratio worth it. Then, I think you should really protect Zegras over Pavelski, he is aging and too much of a risk ! Take risks with your later draft, not your keeper. For the last spot, choose between Boldy and Cozens, unless you have a good low cost D-man to keep.

I am exactly in the same position as you (having to choose between Cozens and boldy ) and I change my mind every day! I think cozens could do slightly more points in the short term as buffalo's top 6 is very offensive, but Boldy seems to have a bit more upside in the long term.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    This would give me 1.2mil per player during the draft. This is almost impossible and not feasible if you want guys that will play throughout the year. Lineup is locked once season start. People are jumping on those those small contract during draft. I am also competing this year so I would rather have Pavelski, Chandler and add Clayton Keller threw the draft let say then to keep 2 of those guys and get 6F 1G 3D random under 1.2mil that probably wont even be in the line-up. Late rounds are rough. Give me 10 contract under 1.2mil and ill tell you that they are pretty much all taken.
    Is this hyperbole or is everyone seriously trying to cutoff the top teams from value contracts in spite of their own team needs? Furthermore... if they're never going to make into the lineup and you're mostly just playing your core... Wouldn't that further incentivize just keeping the best possible players?

I would keep Cozens, he's locked into a powerful role on a team that screams big numbers on offense. Best value for me. Zegras could end up costing you more than you want to spend and Minny's depth is thin making them a bit of gamble on offensive upside. They're always a couple injuries away from being relegated to the sidelines. I've never liked Vilardi as an upside play so you take him if you don't mind a much lower floor and some cap savings.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

In my league, it's the same thing. The first two rounds seem to be exclusively guys under 1M, so people know under which 'budget' they can operate for their next rounds.

If you can wait on Zegras and see if it's a bridge or an 8-year contract, I'd wait. Otherwise, it's a toss-up between the other two. I wouldn't keep Vilardi.

14 Teams, PTS Only, Salary, Full Keep, Start 2G 6D 3C 3LW 3RW
    G- Gustafsson, Korpisalo, Woll
    D- Burns, Forsling, Brannstrom, Peru, Liljgren, Addison, ?, POJoseph, Jiricek
    C- Barkov, Eichel, Larkin, Nelson, Rossi
    LW- Marchessault, Zucc, Hagel, ?, Holtz
    RW- Terry, Tarasenko, Pavelski, Kakko, Brink

18 teams, PTS Only, Top G, Top4 D, Top10 F, Full Keep with a twist
    G- Shest, Luukkanen
    D- Seider Dunn Hedman Pionk Brannstrom Peru
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Hyman Malkin Lindholm Zucc Giroux Marchmant Hartman Bjorkstrand Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Brink Poulin Perreault Cristall

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Capture.PNG

What I like about Boldy is that he is used A LOT on powerplay and on a good one. I think he has a good floor and will still get 30 PPP. But unless he improves his game and break out, I think we can project him to have 70pts (0.87 pts/G), a slight increase mainly due to higher TOI. He probably needs one more year to break out.

Zegras operates on one of the worst powerplay unit, so I think we can project no more than 23 PP for him next year (6 more than last year). On the other hand he is the guy with the Ducks. I would expect 72pts for him.

Cozens is an interesting case ! Because he should see a more important increase in TOI and PPTOI. We can count 20 games last year where he played for more than 18min... and he produced at a rate of 1.05 PPG. Even better, he played 37 games with a %PP > 55%, performing at a rate of 1.15 pts/G. I think we can expect Cozens to be a point per game player starting next year.