Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Snobs - Favorite Coffee(s)?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Coffee Snobs - Favorite Coffee(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    What? What’s real estate like there? Any jobs for plumbers? How are the spiders? Going to Melbourne haha…can I ask do that Simpsons skit where marge wants coffee but the guy can’t understand that he can only offer beer…that’s not entirely true eh? Haha
    On my Australian To Do List:

Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Padawan

Mixed 2 parts Edwards "West Coast Blend" and 1 part Folgers "DeCafe"....we like it. Folger's "Black Silk" is good. Have never used beans. Never paid for Starbucks but have drank it, absolutely nothing special. Don't often buy coffee at a restaurant but when I do, McDonalds black is good, don't like Tim's at all. My Edwards "West Coast Blend" and Folgers "DeCafe" is better (to me) than Mac's or Tims. Always black. Drink lots of coffee.
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    Mixed 2 parts Edwards "West Coast Blend" and 1 part Folgers "DeCafe"....we like it. Folger's "Black Silk" is good. Have never used beans. Never paid for Starbucks but have drank it, absolutely nothing special. Don't often buy coffee at a restaurant but when I do, McDonalds black is good, don't like Tim's at all. My Edwards "West Coast Blend" and Folgers "DeCafe" is better (to me) than Mac's or Tims. Always black. Drink lots of coffee.
    McDonalds is the new Tims.

Administrator

A few years back a buddy of mine got me feeling guilty about the unethical and unsavory aspects of the bulk of the coffee industry so I've since subscribed to Dispatch Coffee It's a Canadian company which sources fair trade, ethical coffee direct from farmers. I get a couple of fresh bags every month, with a little story about the farmers printed on the bag, and a description of the various flavors featured in these different brews. It's really good coffee and I enjoy the variety of cracking a new bag every couple of weeks.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

If you've ever had the benefit of travelling to Europe, they are different about their coffee than what we are used to in NA. I really struggled to find a cup of coffee I enjoyed. I am not into cappuccino and if you ask for Americano, all they are doing is basically adding more hot water to cappuccino. We are used to filtered coffee where they are used to espresso style coffee. We're used to large cups and they are used to small cups. It's just a different flavor. I am not a coffee snob and usually just drink my coffee with a dab of milk and a little sugar or sweetner. Getting used to Stevia as a sweetner was different too. It was just a different taste and hard to adjust to while I was there in various parts for work.

And I dont care what anyone says, actual Turkish coffee brewed in Turkey is dirt. LOL! So thick.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

its not available in all grocery stores so I'll buy it on amazon because it comes well packed in its own case of 6 units

nabob - full city dark

Dobber Sports Titan

Here's my coffee snob input:
    - At work I use Kirkland Keurig pods as we have a Keurig machine. It does the trick
    - At home, when I work/want a quick coffee I have a Nespresso. Nespresso coffee is actually legit amazing. I bounce around pods type, but I also use a reusable metal pod that I fill with grounds.
    - On the weekend I tend to make a pot of coffee over a couple of ways. I have a drip machine that I like, but I love my pour over.
    - As for coffee beans, I stick to local beans for my pour over coffee. Which for the winter is Detour primarily as it just seems to fit the season more for me. It's more nutty, and my fiancé doesn't like it, so it's not for everyone. In the summer I go with Relay Coffee as it's more generic coffee taste, and on hot days I don't want anything different. I'll use these beans in my refillable Nespresso pod too.
    - For just the drip coffee, I have a thing of Folgers or Maxwell that I keep and buy when it's on sale. I'll also use my Starbucks points on coffee bags once I get enough there.
    - My fiance likes americanos so we have an espresso machine too. I'm not a big fan of these unless the hot water isn't too hot to burn the espresso shot.

I really like coffee, but I'm not picky at all. But if I'm investing time into brewing it (pour over) I'll make sure I'm not cutting corners. I'll grind fresh beans, measure it out, use our kettle with a temperature setting, stuff like that.

I'll also say, my FAVOURITE coffee is Blue Mountain Jamaican Coffee. My parents go to Jamaica a lot, and they always bring it back for me.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    McDonalds is the new Tims.
    Around the time McDonalds started the free coffee week/month (Turned into $1 coffee), Tim Hortons was trying to strong arm their coffee bean distributor into taking a bad deal. Eventually they overplayed their hand and the coffee bean distributor left. McDonalds picked them up. That's why McDonalds has gotten better, and Tim Hortons spent years trying to find their footing in that again.

The big difference between the two right now is the fat% of the cream used. Tim Horton's uses a heavy cream, McDonalds uses a lower fat percentage than tim hortons.

I worked at McDonald's during this time and they hammered this hard. I hated that time because 16yr olds would come in at 10pm and get like 5 XL coffees made like 7x7 (7sugars/7creams), and then leave them on tables like half drank. I was so mad all the time lol.

Dobber Sports Ace

My advice: Don't seek out good coffee. Too much of a good thing ruins it. It becomes the new standard and everything else is terrible. Just enjoy it when you get. I go to some restaurants and eateries just for their coffee. Don't need to know what it is as long as I know where to get it.

What you shouldn't do: Buy coffee from convenience stores and chain restaurants. They buy the low quality bulk stuff and put fancy names on it. There's no way to tell what it is so you're stuck buying their brand name if you want it and there's also no telling how long it's been sitting before you got to it.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Ninja

I want to know if any backpackers here have found a way to bring coffee along without it tasting TERRIBLE! I think I am giving up on bringing coffee with me this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    My advice: Don't seek out good coffee. Too much of a good thing ruins it. It becomes the new standard and everything else is terrible. Just enjoy it when you get. I go to some restaurants and eateries just for their coffee. Don't need to know what it is as long as I know where to get it.

Completely agree with this! Once you are trained for good coffee you're in trouble down the road.

Dobber Sports Titan

I want to know if any backpackers here have found a way to bring coffee along without it tasting TERRIBLE! I think I am giving up on bringing coffee with me this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree with this! Once you are trained for good coffee you're in trouble down the road.
    I've used a silicone single cup pour over and its good. However you are forced to store spent beans and filters if you are the "pack it in pack it out" camper. If you are a "burn the spent beans" kind of person, there's the paperless pour over units that are pretty solid

I've had buddies use Aeropresses. I used to use a French Press thermos and I wasn't too impressed with it. There's percolators but I'm not a fan of them. Can use higher end instant coffees and not fully boil water as that's typically causing the very bitter taste (burns the beans).

Dobber Sports Veteran

Best one I drank was in Canary Island’s. Not too strong, with hot milk. It was just fabulous.

I don’t think I will go there in future because of distance, so I drink Tim Horton coffee in Canada, in one of my 16 NHL mug …..
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by berni67 View Post
    Best one I drank was in Canary Island’s. Not too strong, with hot milk. It was just fabulous.

I don’t think I will go there in future because of distance, so I drink Tim Horton coffee in Canada, in one of my 16 NHL mug …..
    I am guessing everything tastes better if you're just chilling in the Canary Islands.

Dobber Sports Sage

- - - Updated - - -

You use a percolator?
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    On my Australian To Do List:

We do not tolerate that kind of crap here in America Sir!

Hey! Mr. Prime Minister! ANDY! What’s the good word mates?

Coffee - Beer it is/Coffee - Beer/CO - BE

That’s not a knife! This is a knife! (That’s not a knife!) ahh I see you’ve played knifey-spooney before!

Bullfrogs? That’s an odd name - ida called em chazzwazzers!

I’ve also set my bank to now accept only Dollarydoos.

Thank you invictus. I needed a good booting.