Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Snobs - Favorite Coffee(s)?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Coffee Snobs - Favorite Coffee(s)?

I like a good brew but I'm also a frugal person so wouldn't call myself a snob. I buy the cheapest whole bag of beans at the supermarket and run it through my machine.

I live in Melbourne Australia, and people here are very serious about good coffee. So serious that Starbucks can't turn a profit and shut down all but 1 of their stores
    Last edited by sasquatch; August 1, 2023 at 5:56 PM. Reason: There/their
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Wizard

i like the Mcdonald brand you buy at Costco and i mix it with Hazel nut coffee..gives it extra taste but its not as strong..i drink it with milk and honey...i can drink it all day every day..and its actually pretty afordable....to buy both it costs me about $25 CAN and it last me and my wife about 3 months...i drink 2-3 cups a day , she drinks one.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    I like a good brew but I'm also a frugal person so wouldn't call myself a snob. I buy the cheapest whole bag of beans at the supermarket and run it through my machine.

I live in Melbourne Australia, and people here are very serious about good coffee. So serious that Starbucks can't turn a profit and shut down all but 1 of their stores
    What? What’s real estate like there? Any jobs for plumbers? How are the spiders? Going to Melbourne haha…can I ask do that Simpsons skit where marge wants coffee but the guy can’t understand that he can only offer beer…that’s not entirely true eh? Haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    i like the Mcdonald brand you buy at Costco and i mix it with Hazel nut coffee..gives it extra taste but its not as strong..i drink it with milk and honey...i can drink it all day every day..and its actually pretty afordable....to buy both it costs me about $25 CAN and it last me and my wife about 3 months...i drink 2-3 cups a day , she drinks one.
    That’s hazelnut brand at Costco is really good too. Never heard of mixing it with McDonald’s but that could be a quite worthwhile mixture. Nice touch!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    What? What’s real estate like there? Any jobs for plumbers? How are the spiders? Going to Melbourne haha…can I ask do that Simpsons skit where marge wants coffee but the guy can’t understand that he can only offer beer…that’s not entirely true eh? Haha

If there's one thing Aussies like more than coffee, it's beer. Especially outside the major cities. Partially true I guess but embellished A LOT because it's the Simpson's.

Have seen spiders as big as my hand on occasion. They're mostly pretty harmless, except the Sydney funnelweb... But keep the kids away. House prices are very expensive, I'd say there would be a good market for plumbers (tradies) here. You'd probably walk into a gig.
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post

If there's one thing Aussies like more than coffee, it's beer. Especially outside the major cities. Partially true I guess but embellished A LOT because it's the Simpson's.

Have seen spiders as big as my hand on occasion. They're mostly pretty harmless, except the Sydney funnelweb... But keep the kids away. House prices are very expensive, I'd say there would be a good market for plumbers (tradies) here. You'd probably walk into a gig.
    Also could walk into a spiderweb! Do those hand sized guys show up in your house? Like there’s be a house fire every time for me haha probably not the country for me as I hate spiders haha. Bet it’s a cool place to live though man super cool to have a guy on a hockey forum from Australia!!!!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Was never much of a coffee drinker until we went to Cuba just prior to Covid. The coffee there was absolutely delicious. No cream or sugar just black and it still had a bit of a sweet taste.
    Now I’m hooked. Love a cup in the morning to start the day. Nothing better than a good cup of coffee on the deck in the morning with a great book. Our go to coffee at home has become the McDonalds k-cups for the Kuerig. I prefer just a little cream and sometimes add sugar when my sweet tooth needs it.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    4 weekly goalie appearances minimum
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett
    LW: E.Kane, Kaprizov
    LW/C: Draisaitl, Stutzle
    RW: Marner
    RW/C: T.Thompson, Necas
    RW/LW: Svechnikov
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Sergachev, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Was never much of a coffee drinker until we went to Cuba just prior to Covid. The coffee there was absolutely delicious. No cream or sugar just black and it still had a bit of a sweet taste.
    Now I’m hooked. Love a cup in the morning to start the day. Nothing better than a good cup of coffee on the deck in the morning with a great book. Our go to coffee at home has become the McDonalds k-cups for the Kuerig. I prefer just a little cream and sometimes add sugar when my sweet tooth needs it.
    Somebody told me the coffee from Cuba was delicious! Man I a little jealous! Did you go to a resort or did you get past the resort (no judgement either way just curious if their resorts cater to North American taste or if they are like nope you’ll drink our coffee haha) but I heard it’s dangerous to be abroad in Cuba.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Somebody told me the coffee from Cuba was delicious! Man I a little jealous! Did you go to a resort or did you get past the resort (no judgement either way just curious if their resorts cater to North American taste or if they are like nope you’ll drink our coffee haha) but I heard it’s dangerous to be abroad in Cuba.
    We stayed at an older all inclusive Hotel in Varadero. We also spent time in Havana. The food at the hotel is Cuban and International. They don’t cater to Americans. Most of the tourists are German, Italian, Canadian and Dutch. The locals, Cubans are very friendly. Felt much safer in Cuba than when we had visited Mexico.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    4 weekly goalie appearances minimum
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett
    LW: E.Kane, Kaprizov
    LW/C: Draisaitl, Stutzle
    RW: Marner
    RW/C: T.Thompson, Necas
    RW/LW: Svechnikov
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Sergachev, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Stud

the best coffee growing regions are regions with volcanic soils and altitude. I went down the rabbit hole and got really into it. Heck i even bought beans at auction. It got way to crazy and expensive so I backed way down.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Ace

Also could walk into a spiderweb! Do those hand sized guys show up in your house? Like there’s be a house fire every time for me haha probably not the country for me as I hate spiders haha. Bet it’s a cool place to live though man super cool to have a guy on a hockey forum from Australia!!!!!
    They don't normally survive that long. Birds eat them and people kill them... but not seen one in my house. On our property and fence though.... Maybe only half hand sized in my area but they have potential to be a lot bigger...

People (including us) hire a insect sprayer annually to spray the house and perimeter etc so they don't usually have much of a chance to recover for long enough
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Im of the opinion that you can only truly tell how good a coffee is if you drink it black. My dentist would prefer I add cream to cut the acidity.

I drink mostly home brewed coffee. I have a KRUPS (my second one after 10 years with the first) grind and brew which is incredibly adjustable - grind fine or coarse, brew strong or mild. The best coffee in these parts is Kicking Horse (Saltspring Island used to be better), lately they've had it at Costco for less than $20 for 2lbs, we drink the same stuff - Happy Camper !

Put those two together: fresh ground coffee from a burr grinder, ground just before applying water, and consumed before its even heated (burned) by the bottom plate - Its VERY hard to beat. I also like McD's coffee, if I had to buy it on the road.

The best cuppa I ever had was from a vacuum brewer - fantastic, but just too much effort for that extra 3%.

If you find your coffee a bit bitter, add a few grains of salt prior to brewing.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Im of the opinion that you can only truly tell how good a coffee is if you drink it black. My dentist would prefer I add cream to cut the acidity.

I drink mostly home brewed coffee. I have a KRUPS (my second one after 10 years with the first) grind and brew which is incredibly adjustable - grind fine or coarse, brew strong or mild. The best coffee in these parts is Kicking Horse (Saltspring Island used to be better), lately they've had it at Costco for less than $20 for 2lbs!

Put those two together: fresh ground coffee from a burr grinder, ground just before applying water, and consumed before its even heated (burned) by the bottom plate - Its VERY hard to beat. I also like McD's coffee, if I had to buy it on the road.

The best cuppa I ever had was from a vacuum brewer - fantastic, but just too much effort for that extra 3%.

If you find your coffee a bit bitter, add a few grains of salt prior to brewing.
    I hear you on the kicking horse it is delicious. What is a vacuum brewer? I’m intrigued haha..sounds like I’m not as snobby as I thought haha!!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I hear you on the kicking horse it is delicious. What is a vacuum brewer? I’m intrigued haha..sounds like I’m not as snobby as I thought haha!!!
    Heh, I just updated my post to include a link to vacuum brewer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_coffee_maker

Its essentially a fancy percolator.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Absolutely the best coffee I’ve had.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Monster

In work camp, they buy kicking horse coffee lots which I have a hard time getting into. I find it bad lol. So when I'm in camp I just make regular Tim Hortons.

When I am at home I normally just get Keurig pods, Tim Hortons or McDonalds.

When I am at work and I have a little extra money, I go to Starbucks and get a Venti Oat latte and get 1 pump sugar free vanilla syrup.

At Tim Hortons, I normally get an XL 1 and 1 but I rarely go there anymore since I find the coffee there is not the greatest. Almost tastes stale or something, the Keurig pods are better imo.