Thread: Right idea for a Dynasty CAP move?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Right idea for a Dynasty CAP move?

Hey all,

20 team, NHL cap, full dynasty. H2H cats: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BLKS, FOW, PIM

I have a good contending team with another off season of cap hell. A relative obvious cap casualty is my Pavelski, as his current AAV for the upcoming year is $5M and well, as amazingly productive as he is his career is clearly entering the final stages, if not final season.

I have an offer to offload him with my Gabe Perreault for Marco Rossi. Is this a wise idea? My thinking is Rossi and Perreault nearly profile as similar prospects, with Rossi being closer to fantasy relevance and potentially being a FOW contributor. A guy like Pavelski doesn’t have too much trade value on his own so he’s a trade chip to (hopefully) upgrade/expedite my Perreault. Of course I’m sure the other side is thinking Rossi is entering bust territory and Perreault is a fresh start.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Right idea for a Dynasty CAP move?

Can you show your full roster and if positions matter.

If you are a contender, and want to stay there, I wouldn't be trading Pavelski. He's still a very productive player even at $5M. I don't think this is a good trade at all.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

I would do that in hartbeat straight up

Rossi had PPG season in A … i dont know how u declare that a bust but I can’t change anybody’s opinions..

Clear win imo on prospect swap and I would not trade Pavelski either… at this point he is way more valuable to you as a player than trade chip

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I agree with Axe.
    Pavelski is still a huge producer, his game is mostly hockeyIQ and net-front hands. He's not aging.
    $5m is nothing for his kind of production.

Also - I love what I read about Gabe Perreault.
    I know a lot of people have soured on NYR prospects because of Kakko & Lafreniere (& LiasA before that)...
    But I also don't think they'll roadblock those kids forever.

GM-Drury has been NYR GM since 2021.
    He'll be looking out for "his" draft picks pretty well: Othmann (1-16, 2021), Perreault (1-23, 2023).
    I own both in my main league.
    He'll set-up the roster so these guys get a shot.

[I'm a fan of Rossi's upside...but just not for Pavelski+G.Perreault.]

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I own Pavelski in my cap league, and no way I'm trading him as I want to stay in contention.

But then again, I don't know the rest of your roster.

I wouldn't do the move BASED ON what little info I have right now.

14 Teams, PTS Only, Salary, Full Keep, Start 2G 6D 3C 3LW 3RW
    G- Gustafsson, Korpisalo, Woll
    D- Burns, Forsling, Brannstrom, Peru, Liljgren, Addison, ?, POJoseph, Jiricek
    C- Barkov, Eichel, Larkin, Nelson, Rossi
    LW- Marchessault, Zucc, Hagel, ?, Holtz
    RW- Terry, Tarasenko, Pavelski, Kakko, Brink

18 teams, PTS Only, Top G, Top4 D, Top10 F, Full Keep with a twist
    G- Shest, Luukkanen
    D- Seider Dunn Hedman Pionk Brannstrom Peru
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Hyman Malkin Lindholm Zucc Giroux Marchmant Hartman Bjorkstrand Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Brink Poulin Perreault Cristall

Administrator

In my experience it's near impossible to return good value for an end-of-career type like Pavelski. Just ride him into the dirt because he's still great value at his AAV. I'd rather have Pavelski going year-to-year knowing he's going to be money if he plays than take a swing on some younger guy who just got some money and term but hasn't proven it like say Newhook. Yeah, Newhook might turn into a good value deal if he emerges, but you could also wind up paying triple for a replacement level guy while clinging to the hope of an emergence.

That's more abstract philosophy when it comes to these types. For this specific deal I'd be highly intrigued in buying low on Rossi, I'm just not convinced this is buying all that low. You're really assuming a lot of the risk in this deal because it requires you to send back Perreault.

What this all comes down to is how you might spend your cap savings. I'd rather have Rossi than Perreault. If dumping Pavelski's $5M is put towards keeping a strong roster, you could justify it. I just think you might be able to dump someone less cost-effective.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg