Thread: Investor account to buy one Stock of the Atlanta Braves

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Investor account to buy one Stock of the Atlanta Braves

Hello,

I need some expert advice.

As a lifetime Atlanta Braves fan, and with them trading on the stock market,
    I would like to find a way to own one share of them.

Just looking to set up an account where I can buy one share and hold one share.

Some obstacles:

1) fees - I don't want to pay fees if I don't have to.
    2) live in Canada - the best options I have found so far are American resident only
    3) certificate - this is secondary - but it would be cool to have a certificate.
    It sounds like most companies don't provide stock certificates anymore.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Investor account to buy one Stock of the Atlanta Braves

Wealth Simple? They allow purchase of fractional shares, and claim to have low fees. You will pay dearly for the exchange rate, that is hard to avoid.

Dobber Sports Icon

National Bank Direct Brokerage is both cheap and pretty solid. You can open an account for free and get free trades in the account and it's not WealthSimple. That's where I moved my online accounts to after I got mad at my local bank.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Hello,

I need some expert advice.

As a lifetime Atlanta Braves fan, and with them trading on the stock market,
    I would like to find a way to own one share of them.

Just looking to set up an account where I can buy one share and hold one share.

Some obstacles:

1) fees - I don't want to pay fees if I don't have to.
    2) live in Canada - the best options I have found so far are American resident only
    3) certificate - this is secondary - but it would be cool to have a certificate.
    It sounds like most companies don't provide stock certificates anymore.
    This is going to be a debate between convenience and lowest fees.
    If you have any kind of investment account already where you have an RRSP, TFSA, unregistered account etc. you can just use that to buy 1 share of BARTA (Atlanta Braves Holdings Inc.) One share costs $43.43 USD so not a massive financial commitment.
    If you do not have an investment account then its simplicity vs. cost.

The simplest way to do it is to open an investing account with your current bank, all major banks have an arm. Then you transfer money and buy a share. The transaction will likely cost you $9.95 or so but if you're not trading often convenience may be worth the $10. The bigger question is quarterly fees or minimum balances, lots of places will not let you open an account for $43.43 or will charge you $25 a quarter. If your bank offers you a free account (with $9.95 transactions) I would suggest just opening an investmen account and paying the $9.95 one time.

If your bank will not open you an investing account then look into Wealth Simple, they have low transaction fees but again the concern is going to be quarterly account fees. If you are going to be charged $15-25 per quarter then it becomes really expensive to simply own the stock. Talk to your bank, hype up how you are wanting to start investing and confirm if there are quarterly fees or not.

On the share certificate itself that will take some research. For the most part what investors do is purchase shares but then deposit those shares with their Investing bank (Bank, Wealth Simple) generally as an investor you want this because you want to be able to sell easily without delivering a physical share certificate. the Braves stock is traded on the NASDAQ exchange which is the most paperless exchange.

Here is an article from the NASDAQ about physical stock certificates
    https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/what...ck-certificate

The key takeaway is this:
    Transfer Agents for Existing Shareholders
    The most direct route to get a share certificate is to contact the transfer agent for the stock. You can find a stock’s transfer agent listed on the investor relations tab of the company’s website, or by calling the investor relations department directly.

Once you have contact info for the transfer agent, you can then reach out to them to understand the process and fees to exchange your digitally-issued shares for paper stock certificates.

Transfer Agents for New Shareholders
    If you don’t already own shares of stock in a company you’d like to get a stock certificate for, you can potentially buy stock through a company’s direct purchase program and request to have physical share certificates issued after the purchase.

While this isn’t an option for very many public companies, you can always contact the transfer agent prior to purchase to clarify whether they’re able to issue share certificates to shareholders, along with the process for receiving dividends and redeeming those certificates when you’re ready to sell.
    The transfer agent for BATRA is Broadridge

please call Broadridge, Liberty Media Corporation’s transfer agent at (888) 789-8415 and a customer service representative will be able to assist you.
    Before you do anything else I would start by calling this number. Tell the customer service representative you would like to purchase 1 share, with a physical share certificate of BATRA "A" and ask what the total would be for the share and physical certificate to be sent to you. I would suspect they are getting this request somewhat frequently given that the shares just hit the market this week.

I also found this site: https://www.giveashare.com/stock-gif...tock-one-share
    where you can literally buy a share certificate for $89 (USD). I believe these shares are "legitimate" in that you own 1 share of the stock, I am not certain whether the piece of paper is needed to sell your share or is just a "receipt" of sorts... I'm assuming these people buy your share and charge a convenience fee ($45) for getting you the physical share, they also sell expensive frames to go on top. Again, for 1 share it may be worth it to pay the $45 USD to get it shipped straight to you.

If all you want is 1 share of stock to put "Owner, Atlanta Braves" in your LinkedIn file then the giveashare option is probably the easiest play.

Let us know how it works out.
    Let us know what you learn.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR