Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody know anything deep on Leon Gawanke?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Question Does anybody know anything deep on Leon Gawanke?

So - interesting guy I chose in 3rd round of WHL Draft: Leon Gawanke.

I came across a twitter on him in the past month as an "interesting guy".
    He was traded from WPG (where he's been AHL for past 4 season) to SJ - in exchange for Artemi Kniazev.

But here's the reasons I took him:
    1. Seemingly unhappy with being stuck in Manitoba (AHL), he signed a 4-year contract in the DEL this past May. (This would leave Jets with nothing for him as an asset).
    2. So the Jets traded him on July 2nd to San Jose for Kniazev.
    3. Gawanke - whose agent is Claude Lemieux - has rights to terminate his contract with German Adler Mannheim IF he signed with an NHL team... and he did, sign with San Jose.
    4. Gawanke scored 20 goals last year.
    5. Gawanke played in international tournaments with Germany each of the last 3 years.
    6. Gawanke will be joining fellow German Nico Sturm, hopefully, in the SJ lockerroom.
    7. SJ possibly has the most barren D-prospect group in the NHL. (The past few years, they've selected guys like Will Smith, Musty, Bystedt, Lund, Eklund, Wiesblatt, Bordeleauwith their top40 picks in last 4 drafts. No D-men picks.)
    8. (Cherry-picking) some stats: 20pts in final 18gp, since Mar7, of AHL last year with 53 shots in those final 18gp (almost 3shots/gp). Absolute beast-mode.

I haven't watched the highlights yet... but he scored TWENTY goals in the AHL last year.
    That's just... a lot of goals, for a defenseman, at any level.

And he's betting on himself so much in the NHL that he signed a 1-year $775k ($325k minors) contract to void his 4-year Germany contract.

A player to look into.
    If any of you have any intel on the guy, I'd be happy to hear.

Absolute BEST UPSIDE case... Karlsson gets traded.
    Just take look - if that happens, what's the heirarchy of OFFENSIVE-Defensemen in the SJ Sharks system?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Does anybody know anything deep on Leon Gawanke?

I've owned him for the last 4 years and I kept thinking Winnipeg would have room for him on the roster but they opted not to play him. Here's a couple of notes I found on him, the 2nd one is from 2019. I can't imagine why SJ wouldn't give him a shot, he's like a Brent Burns lite, they should love him.

May 2022 – Gawanke enjoyed a successful third season with the Manitoba Moose, where he posted a career-high 36 points (10G, 26A) leading all Moose defencemen. He logged considerable minutes including first powerplay duties, where he excelled at distributing the puck to teammates and utilizing his heavy shot. His 141 shots lead all Moose defensemen, often strategically blasting through traffic, a strong sign for fantasy managers including SOG categories.
    While he could improve his foot speed, he is currently a strong puck mover, On the defensive, Gawanke’s game showed noticeable development, particularly in his coverage, timing, and effective game management. Despite his desirable toolset, Gawanke will likely need some more seasoning in the AHL next year to refine his defensive game but he remains aware, confident, and determined to improve. The 23-year-old needs a new contract (RFA), but I see the Jets re-signing as he shows the potential to be a top-four blueliner. The log jam in the Jets D corps poses an issue for the Moose who have a handful of young defencemen chomping at the bit to punch their ticket to the show. Justin Kaye
    Gawanke is excellent at running the play from the point. He has poise and very good stickhandling skill. With his ability to walk the line and his ability to change angles on his release, he is able to open up both shooting and passing lanes. Gawanke has very good vision and puts the puck through those seams in order to set up teammates. He is especially accurate with his “slap pass” which freezes opponents into thinking he is going to fire the puck on net, and instead, he leaves it for a teammate. Gawanke also has the ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone, making strong plays on the rush.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Awesome! Thanks!!!
    (some REP to you)

Dobber Sports Stud

Decent offensive talent, but typical for offensive D it come at the expense of his defensive responsibilities. Pretty sure he's been a minus player at every level. Not sure his offensive upside can make up for his shortcomings in his own end. To your point, SJ may have such a lack of depth (Merkley and Kniasev) that he gets his first NHL action and will either produce or get exposed, IMO.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Some "confidence" to boost him.
    The annual IIHF world championships take place each year in April.
    A lot of NHLers from eliminated NHL teams play.

Germany had their best showing ever this past year.
    Some may remember - they knocked off the USA in the semi-finals in OT, 4-3.
    Then eventually lost the Gold Medal game to Canada.

With Germany down 3-2 to the USA in the final minutes of that game, Gawanke was out there with Seider and the top German forwards.
    Gawanke (#9) has the one-timer, fed from Seider, that was eventually buried for the game-tying goal.

Yeah... it's just one highlight - but proof that Team Germany was using him in key offensive situations:

1:15mark of video:

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Absolute BEST UPSIDE case... Karlsson gets traded.
    Just take look - if that happens, what's the heirarchy of OFFENSIVE-Defensemen in the SJ Sharks system?

Gentle bump.

For those of you in super-duper-deep leagues... look into this guy.
    Dobber should* have him in the guide - soon enough. *

Most PPTOI for SJ still on roster:
    62:12 Matt Benning, 1ppp
    42:31 Mario Ferraro, 1ppp
    30:53 Jacob MacDonald, 1ppp

Last year's leader among D-men in the AHL for powerplay goals: Gawanke (7).

San Jose's top PPA defensemen from last year's AHL Barracuda:
    9: Derrick Pouliot - gone, signed with DAL.
    9: Artemi Kniazev - gone, traded to WPG for Gawanke.
    3: Ryan Merkley - gone, traded to COL.

Dobber Sports Ace

He was in last years guide in which they indicated that if he did not get an opportunity at that point then it was likely that his deficiencies were too significant despite his attacking talent. Presumably the reason he was omitted from this years guide. But the only other potentially significant challenger in the SJ system is Mattias Havelid and he's more of a long term project. He's worth a pickup because you will know quickly whether you have something or not and it could be a pretty decent something if you do.

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I know he’s a Right shot but I think Thrun and Shakir have the jump on an NHL spot. But gawanke is an interesting prospect to say the least. Probably won’t have a long leash though.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    He was in last years guide in which they indicated that if he did not get an opportunity at that point then it was likely that his deficiencies were too significant despite his attacking talent.
    What ONE organization (WPG) does with a player doesn't reflect what other organizations might do with same player.

example: Mike Matheson never really got a good shot on powerplay with FLA or PIT... but he had the upside to run those powerplay units
    Through 2021-22, he had no more than a 35pt pace in the NHL with FLA/PIT.
    Last year, a team gives him a shot at being their main offensive D-man.. at age 29... and he does 34pts in 48gp... which is a 58pt pace.]

Winnipeg didn't give Gawanke a single game in the NHL. Not one.
    If you're a 24-year old NHLer... you're done with that franchise.

San Jose is absolute best case for a player like this.
    Their offensive D-man depth is as minimal as possible with Karlsson gone.
    He's, arguably, the best offensive D-man in their system.

Gawanke is not waivers-exempt. WPG had to pass him through waivers Oct1/2 last year.
    Thrun and Muhk are waivers-exempt. WPG will have to pass one of their older players thru waivers - and maybe lose them - to keep Thurn or Mukh on roster.
    Also - Thrun and Mukh need MINUTES and CONFIDENCE. They get both with a full year of NHL experience.
    Thrun has played 0 AHL games.
    Mukh has played 12 AHL games.
    Both need time in the AHL. Both will get it.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

What ONE organization (WPG) does with a player doesn't reflect what other organizations might do with same player.

example: Mike Matheson never really got a good shot on powerplay with FLA or PIT... but he had the upside to run those powerplay units
    Through 2021-22, he had no more than a 35pt pace in the NHL with FLA/PIT.
    Last year, a team gives him a shot at being their main offensive D-man.. at age 29... and he does 34pts in 48gp... which is a 58pt pace.]

Winnipeg didn't give Gawanke a single game in the NHL. Not one.
    If you're a 24-year old NHLer... you're done with that franchise.

San Jose is absolute best case for a player like this.
    Their offensive D-man depth is as minimal as possible with Karlsson gone.
    He's, arguably, the best offensive D-man in their system.

Gawanke is not waivers-exempt. WPG had to pass him through waivers Oct1/2 last year.
    Thrun and Muhk are waivers-exempt. WPG will have to pass one of their older players thru waivers - and maybe lose them - to keep Thurn or Mukh on roster.
    Also - Thrun and Mukh need MINUTES and CONFIDENCE. They get both with a full year of NHL experience.
    Thrun has played 0 AHL games.
    Mukh has played 12 AHL games.
    Both need time in the AHL. Both will get it.
    I personally think Thrun starts and sticks in the NHL. I disagree he NEEDS AHL time. College players don’t tend to need nearly as much if any AHL time depending on their style of play. Muhk probably will start in the AHL I agree. But his draft pedigree will undoubtably give him a longer leash. I honestly do not think Gawanke starts in the NHL. I really believe he clears waivers easily. He’s 24 and couldn’t cut it on the jets, so this is a best possible case for any possibility of him making the NHL. But Thrun is a better prospect and a better all around defenceman AND has a great offensive flare. Players like Gawanke come all the time light up the AHL and can’t cut it in the bigs. As a no risk signing his leash will be short and my guess is he gets a few games at the NHL and he either runs with them or flounders and gets sent back to the AHL. I personally believe the latter. Not very often these types of players make a big NHL impact. But definitely a guy I’d take a flyer on in a late round or on the waiver wire as I love taking chances on these players.

Dobber Sports Ace

Yeah, not my opinion, I was just paraphrasing what was said in the dobber guide.

Farm (notables):

Dobber Sports Jedi

I have to take being on the ice in the final two minutes for Germany with a grain of salt
    Gawanke & Seider the only two playing in North America.
    There's not a lot of other options

Once upon a time, Matt Stajan was playing 19:00/game and receiving almost 4 min/gm on the power play

The Moose weren't exactly an offensive juggernaut though

25 goals 20 assists - 45pts in 68gp was 3rd on the team.
    I Always worry when a Dman has more goals than assists in the minors

he's not going to explode on the scene like gostisbehere.
    I think the best one can hope for is a hot start and sell high

The long term PPQB solution for SJ isn't even in their system yet.
    (Currently, there is not one)

Thrun had a 9pt game last year, so his NCAA stats are slightly skewed

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I have to take being on the ice in the final two minutes for Germany with a grain of salt
    Gawanke & Seider the only two playing in North America.
    There's not a lot of other options

Once upon a time, Matt Stajan was playing 19:00/game and receiving almost 4 min/gm on the power play

The Moose weren't exactly an offensive juggernaut though

25 goals 20 assists - 45pts in 68gp was 3rd on the team.
    I Always worry when a Dman has more goals than assists in the minors

he's not going to explode on the scene like gostisbehere.
    I think the best one can hope for is a hot start and sell high

The long term PPQB solution for SJ isn't even in their system yet.
    (Currently, there is not one)

Thrun had a 9pt game last year, so his NCAA stats are slightly skewed
    Wow a 9pt game in college? That’s still pretty impressive. You could call it an outlier but for a guy to get 9 points in one game is pretty special. Means sometimes his points come In bunches really really big bunches haha. Regardless of whether one takes that as a positive to his game or an outlier on his stats, he has been long touted as an offensive d-man who can play defence (at least according to dobber). I’ve been following him and was quite excited when he chose not to sign with Anaheim. The path is clear for him to take the PP and munch minutes. Again these aren’t blue-chippers so there’s obviously speculation on each player and what the team does. Gawanke has to break in quick and produce to make up for his defensive shortcomings or he will get buried in the minors. I love watching these types of players it’s an unlikely gamble that if it pays off it PAYS OFF haha.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    Wow a 9pt game in college? That’s still pretty impressive. You could call it an outlier but for a guy to get 9 points in one game is pretty special. Means sometimes his points come In bunches really really big bunches haha. Regardless of whether one takes that as a positive to his game or an outlier on his stats, he has been long touted as an offensive d-man who can play defence (at least according to dobber). I’ve been following him and was quite excited when he chose not to sign with Anaheim. The path is clear for him to take the PP and munch minutes. Again these aren’t blue-chippers so there’s obviously speculation on each player and what the team does. Gawanke has to break in quick and produce to make up for his defensive shortcomings or he will get buried in the minors. I love watching these types of players it’s an unlikely gamble that if it pays off it PAYS OFF haha.
    was the 1st or 2nd game of the season for Harvard.
    several secondary assists
    agreed, still impressive

The PP is 100% up for grabs in SJ

Thrun is probably the 1st option on the depth chart for SJ
    Rutta probably 2nd
    Gawanke will definitely get long looks in camp.

If these 3 falter... then Mario Ferraro?
    'Tis the state of SJ.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    was the 1st or 2nd game of the season for Harvard.
    several secondary assists
    agreed, still impressive

The PP is 100% up for grabs in SJ

Thrun is probably the 1st option on the depth chart for SJ
    Rutta probably 2nd
    Gawanke will definitely get long looks in camp.

If these 3 falter... then Mario Ferraro?
    'Tis the state of SJ.
    It’s a pretty brutal blue line. I mean we don’t know what Thrun or Gawanke could be yet so I’m sure SJ brass hope they’ve uncovered some diamonds but when either 2 unprovens or Ferraro or Rutta (? - on PP ewww yikes!) are your PP1 QB things are in a pretty bad state…should change their name to the Starfish as there’s nothing agressive about that powerplay!