View Poll Results: Which players' 2023-24 scoring rate will be closer to their 2023 playoff rate?

Voters
22. This poll is closed
  • Ivan Barbashev (Playoff pace = 67; Regular Season pace = 45; Midpoint = 56)

8 36.36%
  • Aleksander Barkov (Playoff pace = 62; Regular Season pace = 94; Midpoint = 78)

3 13.64%
  • Sam Bennett (Playoff pace = 61; Regular Season pace = 52; Midpoint = 56.5)

7 31.82%
  • Brent Burns (Playoff pace = 49; Regular Season pace = 61; Midpoint = 55)

4 18.18%
  • Vince Dunn (Playoff pace = 42; Regular Season pace = 65; Midpoint = 53.5)

6 27.27%
  • Jack Eichel (Playoff pace = 97; Regular Season pace = 80; Midpoint = 88.5)

13 59.09%
  • Adam Fox (Playoff pace = 93; Regular Season pace = 72; Midpoint = 82.5)

5 22.73%
  • Roope Hintz (Playoff pace = 103; Regular Season pace = 84; Midpoint = 93.5)

4 18.18%
  • Jack Hughes (Playoff pace = 75; Regular Season pace = 104; Midpoint = 89.5)

2 9.09%
  • Zach Hyman (Playoff pace = 75; Regular Season pace = 86; Midpoint = 80.5)

12 54.55%
  • Anze Kopitar (Playoff pace = 95; Regular Season pace = 74; Midpoint = 84.5)

1 4.55%
  • Nikita Kucherov (Playoff pace = 82; Regular Season pace = 113; Midpoint = 97.5)

5 22.73%
  • Brad Marchand (Playoff pace = 117; Regular Season pace = 75; Midpoint = 96)

3 13.64%
  • Connor McDavid (Playoff pace = 136; Regular Season pace = 153; Midpoint = 144.5)

8 36.36%
  • Brandon Montour (Playoff pace = 50; Regular Season pace = 75; Midpoint = 62.5)

7 31.82%
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Playoff pace = 75; Regular Season pace = 104; Midpoint = 89.5)

10 45.45%
  • Ryan O’Reilly (Playoff pace = 67; Regular Season pace = 46; Midpoint = 56.5)

8 36.36%
  • Jason Roberston (Playoff pace = 77; Regular Season pace = 109; Midpoint = 93)

3 13.64%
  • Mark Stone (Playoff pace = 89; Regular Season pace = 72; Midpoint = 80.5)

1 4.55%
  • Pavel Zacha (Playoff pace = 70; Regular Season pace = 57; Midpoint = 63.5)

8 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Playoff Scoring Barometers

The Great One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Playoff Scoring Barometers

Am I going to try and tell you that playoff scoring is among the most important factors when assessing a player's likely performance the following season? No. But it is a data point; and for the players who scored either above or below their regular season pace during the playoffs, it begs the question as to whether the playoffs was a sign of things to come, or just short term variance.

For this poll, I've listed 20 skaters, in alphabetical order with their 2022-23 regular season scoring pace, their 2023 playoffs scoring pace, and the midpoint between them. Your task is to vote for any and all players you believe will score - in the 2023-24 regular season - closer to the rate they did in the 2023 playoffs than the rate they scored in the 2022-23 regular season. As an example, let's say "Player A" had a 2022-23 regular season scoring pace of 77 and a 2023 playoff scoring pace of 60. The midpoint is 68.5 so if you think his 2023-24 regular season scoring pace will be 68 or lower (i.e, closer to his 2023 playoffs scoring pace than his 2022-23 regular season scoring pace) then you should vote for him. If not, then don't. It's a similar situation if a player did better in the playoffs, as let's say "Player B" had a 2023 playoffs scoring pace of 92 and a 2022-23 regular season scoring pace of 70. The midpoint is 81; so if you think he'll score 82 or more points (i.e., closer to his 2023 playoff scoring pace than his 2022-23 regular season scoring pace) during the 2023-24 regular season, then he should get your vote.

As usual, please add a post to say who you voted for and why, to provide added insight.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Playoff Scoring Barometers

Here's who I voted for and why:

Barbashev - the chemistry he had with Eichel seemed very real, and sustainable
    Burns - I think Orlov is the Lindholm to his McAvoy, except Burns is 15 years older
    Eichel - I feel like finally he's back to his old self
    Fox - on that team and with his talent, you have to figure him for point per game output each season
    Hintz - this showed Dallas isn't just the JRob show, and Hintz is out to prove he's worth the big contract he signed last season
    Hyman - a healthy Kane and the addition of Brown won't do Hyman any favors
    Marchand - remember that he was hurt going into last season, so I think he was his old self by the playoffs
    Montour - he's the real deal, just not 65+ points real
    RNH - he'll be lucky if he gets half the PPPts he did in 2022-23; big drop incoming
    ROR - he won't be great, but how can he not hit 57?
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Sage

My list is pretty short....
    Barbashev, McDavid, RNH, ROR

Comparing to list above.

Non-selections
    Burns- I think he can hit at least 55pts still.
    Eichel- Has only eclipsed the 88 pt just once. VGK spreads it around more and I think he falls short.
    Montour - Will be settled into the same role going into the season. This wasn't true last year. That will make up for some regression still pacing over 63 pts
    Hyman - I'm thinking I should have selected him too...

Selections
    McDavid -
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Initiate

Voted for the three Edmonton guys which all will regress a bit + Pavel Zacha who maybe will get more responsibilities and perhaps take another step to a reasonable 64p.

Dobber Sports Icon

I voted for Dunn, and Hintz.

I actually think McDavid's pace will be another step higher than last year's pace and he goes over 2 points per game for the regular season and flirts with 170 points. He wants a cup and will do everything he can to get there.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I voted for Dunn, and Hintz.

I actually think McDavid's pace will be another step higher than last year's pace and he goes over 2 points per game for the regular season and flirts with 170 points. He wants a cup and will do everything he can to get there.
    Perhaps though his team will say to ease a bit off the gas pedal during the regular season in hopes of having even more in the tank for the playoffs? I almost voted for him for that reason, until I realized it's McDavid so betting on him seeing his scoring drop seems like a losing wager.

The Great One

I went Hintz and Eichel. The playoffs are such a different game. Honestly these two guys I think were finally healthy in the playoffs and so we saw more of a regular look for them.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch