Thread: Keeper + cap league - tough decisisons incoming, watchu think?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Keeper + cap league - tough decisisons incoming, watchu think?

This is a 8-team keeper league 12F-4D-2G with cap. We've been running this league for over 5 years now. Here is what's left of my roster after free agents are gone this year. Finished 2nd in 2022-2023.

- Tim Stutzle
    - Aleksander Barkov
    - Timo Meier
    - Nikita Kucherov
    - Jason Robertson
    - William Nylander
    - Elias Pettersson
    - Mikko Rantanen
    - Nikolaj Ehlers

- Evan Bouchard
    - Ty Smith
    - Mark Giordano

I was thinking of dropping Barkov, Ehlers, Meier, Gio and Smith to try to survive the cap crunch. What do you guys think?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Keeper + cap league - tough decisisons incoming, watchu think?

Welcome to the forums.

It heavily depends on what the scoring categories are and how tight the cap is, and the rules on moving players on and off your main roster, if that's a thing.

I don't think Smith is a drop until we see what the contract is, and where he's playing. Giordano seems like he's a good value as well, depending on categories. The other 3 you mention are depends on format & cap.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Thanks a lot!

Points only league (1 point for a goal, 1 for assist). Goalies get 2 pts per win and an additional 2 pts for a shutout. Usually winner gets 1400 pts or so in a year. Hard cap using the current year cap (so 83.5 next season).

We still have some interesting free agents to choose from (RNH, Tuch, Bratt to name a few).

Each gets to release a player one by one. Then we draft, from last place to first.

I would be very curious to know how good is 1400 pts a season is for a cap and points only league is.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Most leagues don't use the actual NHL cap, and many have varied weights on goals versus assists, and goalie stuff. I suspect that the key to your league, even more than many is bargain contracts.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.