Thread: Dynasty Cap League Drafting Lacking Decent Picks

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Dynasty Cap League Drafting Lacking Decent Picks

Multi cat 20 team dynasty. Owners seem competitive as there's (I think) at least one Dobber writer out there. I've never been in a 20+ team league before, but am in some 16 teamers, but they aren't cap leagues.

I took over a dormant team last season, and to say that the prior owner liked trading away picks would be a understatement. This team won the lottery for the 22-23 draft, but made no picks - pretty much the perfect storm of gambling on one's current team at the wrong time.

The roster had some glaring holes, but managed to work free agency and decent management got me a 5th place finish out 20, almost made the semis. Picking late this year, but I don't have my own first, of course. My best pick is around 25th overall, which I acquired in a trade last year, followed by 35th or so.

Given that this draft is earlier than I am used to, and that I'm not a huge prospect guy, my plan is to follow NHL draft order to get a cohort of players to look at by position, since I've got no camp info to go on. I don't intend to draft anyone who is currently a free agent, but will make sure I didn't miss anyone in the pool.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that being a good or bad idea generally, or any other advice really regarding super deep leagues?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Dynasty Cap League Drafting Lacking Decent Picks

Let me make sure I understand this... the draft is for 2023 draftees and any FAs but you're only looking at prospects and want to know if using the NHL draft order is a good measuring stick?
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    Let me make sure I understand this... the draft is for 2023 draftees and any FAs but you're only looking at prospects and want to know if using the NHL draft order is a good measuring stick?
    Pretty much accurate. Once I get things sorted, and I'm about 15 picks away from drafting, I will see what I can dig up, but I'm thinking of just using NHL draft order to decide if I can't.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

https://twitter.com/TopDownHockey

I scrolled through his twitter history to get his model's projections from the prospect cards he posted while the draft was ongoing.

He used to publish this data on his public Tableau account.

Also this guy posted some of his projections during the draft: https://twitter.com/ByronMBader I am a subscriber to his projections site, but I'm not confident it's helped my drafting a great deal - not enough time for the players to develop yet.

The models emphasize production which is pretty relevant fantasy wise. Even if your league is multicat you can always deal to cover the other cats.