View Poll Results: How will Justin Holl do in Detroit?

Voters
20. This poll is closed
  • He will perform close to his contract and improve Detroit considerably

0 0%
  • He will hold down a 2nd or 3rd pairing job for at least two seasons

13 65.00%
  • He will struggle and Detroit will seek other options after the first season

4 20.00%
  • Complete failure year one

3 15.00%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Justin Holl's time and performance in Detroit - success or failure?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Justin Holl's time and performance in Detroit - success or failure?

I am admittedly a fan who did say Holl could win the Leafs a cup with an OT goal and I would still find something negative about him just because he frustrated me so much.

However, those PK minutes he ate were huge for the team. He is one of the better shot blockers in the league, and he typically played the right side which means he is defending the typical shooter. He also is starting in his end A LOT. Which is why you see him getting scored on a lot. He plays a very niche role and he does that aspect well.

The second he needs to defend in tight, or use his body against someone in front of the net, he is fighting for dear life. Which puts him in "meme worthy" situations for Twitter. The amount of times I've watched a gif of him bumping into his own goalie while scrambling in front of his net was too much to count. He still does this better than 25% of the league, but it's not pretty.

The biggest negative about him is when he has the puck, or he's in the offensive zone. And because he's a fringe 2nd line D but really should be a 3rd line D, his partner isn't typically the most offensive guy. So when he's on the ice, the offense is only going through the forwards.

Positives: Shot Blocker, Eats PK minutes, RHD, Good wingspan, positionally decent
    Negatives: 0 Offensive involvement, Brain Farts, Not Creative, potential for long injury stints with his game style and age.
    Overall: One Dimensional, but that dimension is becoming more valuable.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

He'd probably be solid if he was used as a #6 like a Carson Soucy

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Initiate

Why the attention, poll and questions? Holl seems to be a very divisive player. Yzerman and Detroit overpayed him a bit to be there for 3 years, a period they'll not contend in, but potentially make the playoffs the second or third year. Plenty of people, with good hockey knowledge, criticize the deal, despite the fairly benign circumstances with overall much less pressure for Holl. It shouldn't take all that much to improve the Detroit D. It's just an interesting case study which in my mind will be interesting to follow.

I voted the second option - hold down 2nd or 3rd pairing for at least two seasons, purely based on him being given the contract in the first place and the competition in Detroit. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes worse though and that the critics are correct.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    Why the attention, poll and questions? Holl seems to be a very divisive player. Yzerman and Detroit overpayed him a bit to be there for 3 years, a period they'll not contend in, but potentially make the playoffs the second or third year. Plenty of people, with good hockey knowledge, criticize the deal, despite the fairly benign circumstances with overall much less pressure for Holl. It shouldn't take all that much to improve the Detroit D. It's just an interesting case study which in my mind will be interesting to follow.

I voted the second option - hold down 2nd or 3rd pairing for at least two seasons, purely based on him being given the contract in the first place and the competition in Detroit. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes worse though and that the critics are correct.
    He's divisive because of the team he comes from much more than the player he is.
    This is what happens with Leafs UFA's.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    He'd probably be solid if he was used as a #6 like a Carson Soucy
    Sadly... Soucy is more likely to be used as a #3 in Vancouver
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Initiate

Bumping the most interesting question this season. Vote is closing in about two weeks.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Well this poll was posted before Petry fell in their laps. Last night looked like their actual lineup and Holl didn't dreas

Walman-Seider
    Chiarot-Petry
    Maatta-Gostisbehere

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Well this poll was posted before Petry fell in their laps. Last night looked like their actual lineup and Holl didn't dreas

Walman-Seider
    Chiarot-Petry
    Maatta-Gostisbehere
    On top of that, I think Edvinsson still is in the race, on the left side, but I'm not sure. The contract is still there though. Perhaps it is a complete failure year one.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post

Walman-Seider
    Chiarot-Petry
    Maatta-Gostisbehere
    Chiarot still scares me back there. Not a big fan of his or his signing in Detroit… still.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Season nearing its end, and it's pretty evident Holl has struggled to keep himself in the lineup. He's among the team leaders for +/- with 8, but with the Petry signing and Edvinsson up, it's crowded and Holl has been scratched for almost half of the season.

Two more years with Holl and Chiarot, and Maatta and Petry are signed for the upcoming season. These contracts aren't great looking, but Detroit weren't primed for playoff success next season regardless.