Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: John Gibson requests trade

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: John Gibson requests trade

Listening to the latest 32 Thoughts, Friedman didn't sound too optimistic about a trade happening but obviously we'll see where it goes - lots of time before camp. Also refuted the report saying Gibson would refuse to play for the team again. Says he will play if they can't move him.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He's a below average goalie on a quite expensive contract with term. He needs to be dealt for another bad contract that has a lot of term on it. I wouldn't touch him unless I was a GM and inherited an albatross contract that I needed to move.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

I don't see him moving.
    Anaheim won't just trade him for another bad contract and a 2nd round pick. They're gonna want full value for him. They hold all the cards - they don't have to trade him.
    It was reported that the main reason the Devils haven't acquired Hellebuyck (yet) is not because of the 9+mil contract he wants long term, but rather the 6.1mil he makes this year. If the Devils can't even afford Helly, they won't be able to afford Gibson who makes even more. Not that many other teams in the market for a goalie (basically just the Kings and Devils).
    Plus he hasn't been good for a while. Other teams aren't gonna be jumping to make cap space for him.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    I don't see him moving.
    Anaheim won't just trade him for another bad contract and a 2nd round pick. They're gonna want full value for him. They hold all the cards - they don't have to trade him.
    It was reported that the main reason the Devils haven't acquired Hellebuyck (yet) is not because of the 9+mil contract he wants long term, but rather the 6.1mil he makes this year. If the Devils can't even afford Helly, they won't be able to afford Gibson who makes even more. Not that many other teams in the market for a goalie (basically just the Kings and Devils).
    Plus he hasn't been good for a while. Other teams aren't gonna be jumping to make cap space for him.
    Different teams have different needs and different trading schemes. Who knows what Anaheim is willing to take back (or retain) versus what Winnipeg was looking to do with each goalie. You can't really compare the two teams.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Ya Winnipeg seems to want NHL ready talent for guys, and don't have a high pick invested in another goalie like Anaheim does that they can pivot to.

I think this is more of a Cap dump trade especially because we know he's wanted out for a while, and Anaheim just hasn't pulled the trigger on teams likely talking to them about Gibson.

The only way I see a move happen is a trade where they take an equally bad deal, but shorter term. Like Matt Murray+ for Gibson with Retained Salary (I don't think for a second the Leafs are interested though, it was just an example)
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

So.....who can we say is realistically in the mix here?

Buffalo
    Edmonton
    LAK (can't see them going in division)
    NJ
    St Louis
    Toronto
    Vegas

Dobber Sports Expert

Columbus maybe? Elvis/Gibson swap?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post

Buffalo
    Edmonton
    NJ
    St Louis
    Toronto
    Vegas
    Unless Campbell is going out, Edmonton is not in the mix. Even then, the Oilers dont have the cap space to make up the difference so there would have to be cap retained by Anaheim unless there's other pieces to blend the cap hit.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I’m sure the request has been in for some time and the lack of action on management’s part has pushed him to go public.
    This is exactly what I’m thinking…. Same happened wit Chychrun…but he wasn’t as aggressive about it

Gibson has not been very good for a while and I don’t see how this helps him in any way

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think Gibson is going to disappoint no matter where he ends up. He has been very bad for a while, some of that is the team in front of him but some of it has been him as well.

I don't think a contender is going to take a chance on him regaining form, different story if it was a one year blip or something but he's been awful for about half a decade now.

I think if he is moved, it's going to be to a team that needs a placeholder until "their guy" is ready. CLB comes to mind while they shelter Tarasov a bit, BUF maybe?

Dobber Sports Titan

A Buyout might cost them less than a trade that has them retaining 50% plus receiving a cap dump. It would however expose them to using Dostal too early.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post

Buffalo
    Edmonton
    NJ
    St Louis
    Toronto
    Vegas
    I'd narrow it to:
    Buffalo
    New Jersey

they make the most sense.

LAK seem intriguing. Talbot 1x1 & Copley 1.5- not much invested in net, but are they content? Might they be Helle shopping?

Scratch the Leafs - no cap space & Samsonov looked like a blossoming #1 last year & Woll took a massive step.
    Scratch Edm - Skinner stepped up & no way they turn tail on Campbell after 1 bad year.
    Scratch Vegas - just re-signed Hill 2x4.9 & have Thompson
    Would Anh really trade 4yrs of Gibson at 6.4 for 4yrs of Binnington at 6m? A downgrade in net for 400k savings? Stl. wouldn't eat $$ for 4yrs.
    Scratch Stl.

Gibson is probably a fallback option to the team that can't land Helle. I'd expect that trade first.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't see him moving.
    What is full value for him? Even if Anaheim retains half, how much do you give for 4 years @ 3.2? He has not been good for several seasons and we all know goalies do not have a high trade value. Seems like some goalie analytics expert needs to study his game to see if his problems have been mechanical, motivational or both and then see if his game fits the defensive structure on the team. The PDOcast had a goalie expert on recently and he talked about how important matching the goalie's strengths with the team's defensive structure is in order to ensure a good match.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I don't see him moving.
    His "full value" is negative. The hand they are holding is something like a 10 high in poker, and all the cards are revealed.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Gee what a shocker! /s

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Maybe doesnÂ’t have to go too far. LA could be a nice home for him.
    Don't you dare.

I wouldn't want to play for us either. However, given the recent Gudas/Hagg signing, I am hopeful our defense can start actually playing defense again. But this is a long time coming. I feel like he is mentally gone either way, wants to go to a contender and get a ring imo.

t. ANA fan
    10 Team H2H Points 1 Year League
    2020 Runner Up, 2021 Champion, 2022 Champion