Thread: Carolina Hurricanes: Team "TradeDown"

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Carolina Hurricanes: Team "TradeDown"

They've been "trading down" for 4 straight drafts now. They've become the NE Patriots of the NHL.
    A lot of people have attended to their tact here as "getting more darts/opportunities".

2019 Draft
    Carolina Hurricanes Acquire: 2019 3rd round pick (MIN - #73 - Patrik Puistola) 2019 4th round pick (NYR - #99 - Cade Webber)
    Minnesota Wild Acquire: 2019 2nd round pick (CAR - #59 - Hunter Jones)

Carolina Hurricanes Acquire: 2019 2nd round pick (FLA - #44 - Jamieson Rees) 2019 3rd round pick (PIT - #83 - Anttoni Honka)
    Ottawa Senators Acquire: 2019 2nd round pick (NYR - #37 - Mads Søgaard)

2020 Draft
    Carolina Hurricanes Acquire: 2020 6th round pick (LAK - #159 - Lucas Mercuri) 2021 7th round pick (LAK - #200 - Yegor Naumov)
    Los Angeles Kings Acquire: 2020 5th round pick (MTL - #140 - Ben Meehan)

2021 Draft
    Carolina Hurricanes Acquire: 2021 2nd round pick (LAK - #40 - Scott Morrow) 2021 2nd round pick (NSH - #51 - Ville Koivunen)
    Nashville Predators Acquire: 2021 1st round pick (CAR - #27 - Zachary L'Heureux)

Carolina Hurricanes Acquire: 2021 3rd round pick (LAK - #72 - Anton Olsson) 2021 4th round pick (CGY - #109 - Jackson Blake)
    Los Angeles Kings Acquire: 2021 2nd round pick (CAR - #59 - Samuel Helenius)

Carolina Hurricanes Acquire: 2021 3rd round pick (NSH - #83 - Patrik Hamrla) 2021 5th round pick (NSH - #147 - Justin Robidas)
    Nashville Predators Acquire: 2021 3rd round pick (LAK - #72 - Anton Olsson)

Carolina Hurricanes Acquire: 2022 3rd round pick (CHI - #71 - Alexander Perevalov) (*This was a 2022 3rd... which, with sinking CHI, ended up being closer to start of round)
    Chicago Blackhawks Acquire: 2021 3rd round pick (CAR - #91 - Taige Harding)

Carolina Hurricanes Acquire: 2021 5th round pick (LAK - #136 - Robert Orr) 2021 6th round pick (OTT - #170 - Bryce Montgomery)
    Ottawa Senators Acquire: 2021 4th round pick (CAR - #123 - Carson Latimer)

2022 Draft
    Carolina Hurricanes Acquire: 2023 6th round pick (CHI - #163 - Timur Mukhanov) (*This was a 2023 6th... which, with sinking CHI, ended up being closer to start of round)
    Chicago Blackhawks Acquire: 2022 6th round pick (CAR - #188 - Nils Juntorp)

2023 Draft
    Carolina Hurricanes Acquire: 2023 3rd round pick (CAR - #94 - Jayden Perron) 2023 4th round pick (SJS - #100 - Alexander Rykov)
    San Jose Sharks Acquire: 2023 3rd round pick (PHI - #71 - Brandon Svoboda)

What's the overall opinion on these trades?
    Winning? Losing? Kind of averaging out?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Carolina Hurricanes: Team "TradeDown"

https://dobberprospects.com/2020/05/...probabilities/

I like trading down if you pick 25th or later. Essentially a 29th overall has the same chance as a 60th overall. And from the 2nd round onwards, the chances you get an NHLer drops 5% each round starting at 35% (in the 2nd round).

You have to trust your scouting staff though. And you need to invest time in seeing if your scouting staff is turning out successful later round picks. The Leafs, I trust their scouting.

As for those trades...I don't honestly see a whole lot of needle movers yet. So kinda looks like busy work right now
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

The later round draft picks take longer to develop so it makes sense to get as many darts as possible. Probably too soon to determine if the strategy is paying off since 2019 was only 4 years ago.

I think Patrik Puistola was traded for Jesse Puljujarvi right?
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Like Morrow so if he pans out that’s a golden dart.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think I mentioned last year I liked what they were doing. I didn't realize it's been a trend/strategy of theirs every year lately.

I don't really see any major wins here... but they don't need to be home runs. Even just them turning into solid trading pieces can be a plus.
    Help give more options to facilitate deals to land bigger fish.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm generally a fan of these sorts of moves. While you have a limited number of contracts, you don't have a limited number of prospects whose right you can own via the draft, as far as I know.

With non firsts, especially 3rd orund and later, you're looking for complimentary players who can be NHLers. This gives them more chances.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I'm generally a fan of these sorts of moves. While you have a limited number of contracts, you don't have a limited number of prospects whose right you can own via the draft, as far as I know.

With non firsts, especially 3rd orund and later, you're looking for complimentary players who can be NHLers. This gives them more chances.
    You're allowed a max of 90 players on Standard Player Contracts and unsigned players.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    You're allowed a max of 90 players on Standard Player Contracts and unsigned players.
    Thanks, so while the total number of rights owned is limited, it's pretty large in addition to those on contracts.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Thanks, so while the total number of rights owned is limited, it's pretty large in addition to those on contracts.
    Ya most sit around 60-75. So lots of space to do this.

The only negative would be if you're a cash strapped team, you might not have the resources to keep proper tabs on a lot of the players you have rights too. So when it comes to signing them, you might not have all the proper information on them. But if it's 3rd round picks, and you have only hard data to look at, I don't think you miss signing an NHL/AHLer because you didn't get a proper "eye test".

Maybe there's also some insurance payments that raise based on players your organization has the rights too. There might be small stuff like that.

Dobber Sports Stud

Carolina is also basically the only team in the league whose #1C (Aho) and #1 Dman (Slavin) weren't first round picks. That may also factor in to their belief in their scouts and value to be mined oustide of the 1st.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Personally, I wonder if Waddell doesn't love his scouting reports... and offsets that with this "strategy".

As we know in fantasy hockey, if you ARE (are) getting the best player in the deal, you take that in a 2-for-1.
    But Carolina continues to give away the better asset for two lessers.

IDK... I actually think they lost the total of what they did in 2019/20/21/22.
    The Morrow draft pick MIGHT (might!) pan out better than L'Heureux/Oloausson/Stillman/Dean (the players that were there at their 2021 27th overall).

The goalies taken at their 2019 picks (Sogaard, H.Jones) and also Helenius... seem like better prospects at this point than the six lower guys they drafted.

Yesterdays trade - for me - will be an interesting one.
    A LOT of (amateur) prospect analysts on the internet think Jayden Perron has enormous upside.
    Amazing that they traded away at 71... and Perron is there at 94. Gotta be major knock on Perron's game to land at 94.
    I've read a prospect analyst or two that think Rykov is BIG RISK and BIG UPSIDE... so that's a swing there.

It's an interesting tact.
    I think the New England Patriots pulled it off well because NFL is more a need/needle-in-haystack sport where this tact can be pulled off.

But I'm (personally) not impressed with Carolina's previous 4 drafts (2019/20/21/22) of trading down.
    Net loss, IMO.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Not sure if we've seen them do it enough to get a sense if it's a positive or negative move.

I like that they are trying something new (I assume it's new?)
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Demi-God

A thought:

Is that maybe CAR burns 2-3 of their 7 picks per year...\
    Maybe they only have 4-5 picks (of 7) when they show up to each draft...
    So this tact is solely their way to replenish their "quantity" back to an average of 7 picks per year.
    ???

It would make it easier to trade picks away DURING the year... knowing you have this plan to replenish.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    It's an interesting tact.
    I think the New England Patriots pulled it off well because NFL is more a need/needle-in-haystack sport where this tact can be pulled off.
    It works better in the NFL because you have double the number of roster players, triple to quadruple the number of positions (depending on how you count them), and you need depth to injuries far more.

For example you take an offensive lineman, a linebacker, and a corner late in every NFL draft. The latter 2 guys if they make the roster are likely special teamers, and possibly the offensive lineman as well.