Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's your biggest sports pet peeve?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: What's your biggest sports pet peeve?

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    I can't stand the royal 'WE' reference used by homer media and fan bases.

"WE are looking good in pre season"- no the team you are cheering for is looking good in the pre season.
    "WE should trade for player X"- no, you have nothing to do with any trade input, the team's GM team will make that decision.
    "WE won a huge game tonight!"- no, the team won a huge game, you did nothing but sat on your couch and watched TV without breaking a sweat

I understand having team pride and being a devoted fan but you don't belong to the organization (unless you are drawing an actual pay cheque from them somehow). You have virtually zero effect on the team's success or failures even if you spend thousands of $$$ on tickets and merch. You don't get to anoint yourself as part of the royal WE.
    yes..this one..youre a fan, not part of the collective WE.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont think I have EVER seen a soccer game when someone didn't dive, then roll on the ground like they were shot, to try and get a call. Not once. I admit, I dont watch much soccer because I'd rather watch paint dry, but I do pay attention during the World Cup, when you're supposed to be watching the best of the best play. That being said, the diving is a big reason why I don't watch it too. It's comical and takes away from the sport.
    yeah i dont know what you watching but you could not be more wrong imo...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    LOL, better yet, what are you watching that makes me wrong?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    I don't watch that much soccer but there were a couple of play acting events in the Champions League final that looked pretty bad to me. It wasn't at Neymar's level but it still should have been embarrassing to the players involved.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I watch probably 10 soccer games a week.. mostly English and German leagues as well as Polish league. I also go to MLS games 5-10 times a year… soccer has cleans up dives a lot… does it still happen? Yes but not any more than in hockey or basketball..

As for your comment about baseball and football… obviously it won’t happen in baseball as there is little player to player contact. As for football, they are on their asses all day so no reason to dive…

Dobber Sports Icon

"WE are looking good in pre season"- no the team you are cheering for is looking good in the pre season.
    "WE should trade for player X"- no, you have nothing to do with any trade input, the team's GM team will make that decision.
    "WE won a huge game tonight!"- no, the team won a huge game, you did nothing but sat on your couch and watched TV without breaking a sweat

I understand having team pride and being a devoted fan but you don't belong to the organization (unless you are drawing an actual pay cheque from them somehow). You have virtually zero effect on the team's success or failures even if you spend thousands of $$$ on tickets and merch. You don't get to anoint yourself as part of the royal WE.
    Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    yes..this one..youre a fan, not part of the collective WE.
    I’m totally guilty of this and have no problem with someone referring to the collective WE when they are a true fan of a team. I don’t think most people feel that they are part of the organization but they are part of a collective unit of fans of certain things. It’s a community and therefore the collective we is perfectly acceptable.

We do it all the time in all walks of life. People will use “we” talking about political leanings even if they aren’t a card carrying member of a certain party.

Do Trekkies need to be getting a paycheque from the show to use the “we” term.

It just seems like such a trivial thing to get upset about. Although I suppose most pet peeves are.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Apprentice

From my side of the Atlantic it's somehow strange to witness all that stuff that is "apprechiated" or "made aware of" besides the actual hockey game that I planned to watch.

I'm not talking about the adds - we obvsly get these too (not this many though). I'm talking about all these ribbons for certain medical issues, etc. I get, these are good causes, but we simply don't mix stuff like this with sports events.

Strangest of all: army apprechiation and the overboarding patriotism. I like my country too and I've served in the army. But where's the link to hockey? Armies are for war - is that a good cause? And where is the nurse apprechistion? The teacher apprechiation, etc.? It's just a strange vibe to us over here.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Other than home run kings that can't hit a home run at home, looking at you Vladdy, inconsistent officiating. It frustrates players in all sports.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I don't like Lebron James as a face of the NBA.
    I'd prefer not to go into a long speech of all the things I don't like about the guy.
    I'm excited for an NBA without him in it.
    I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel now that he has his precious scoring record...
    (Just gotta wait for him to sign that contract wherever his kid gets drafted so he can do "that year as the caring dad" - ugh.)

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I’m totally guilty of this and have no problem with someone referring to the collective WE when they are a true fan of a team. I don’t think most people feel that they are part of the organization but they are part of a collective unit of fans of certain things. It’s a community and therefore the collective we is perfectly acceptable.

We do it all the time in all walks of life. People will use “we” talking about political leanings even if they aren’t a card carrying member of a certain party.

Do Trekkies need to be getting a paycheque from the show to use the “we” term.

It just seems like such a trivial thing to get upset about. Although I suppose most pet peeves are.
    when talking about a collective group of FANS, then ya thats totally fine. but WE didn't "get a great win / shite the bed / hire the wrong guy". the TEAM did.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Sage

when talking about a collective group of FANS, then ya thats totally fine. but WE didn't "get a great win / shite the bed / hire the wrong guy". the TEAM did.
    But fans are the 6th player on the ice - can be a difference maker!

Fans (not all ) can feel the lows of a loss, the highs of a win. Fans have a voice and organizations must know how to react to that. Without fans, professional sports would be meaningless / non existent. Fan engagement gives meaning to the connections between sports organizations, athletes, sponsors, and stakeholders.

I have no issue with 'we'.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont see diving/crying/faking in baseball. It rarely happens in football. Basketball yes. Hockey yes, but players will get a penalty for it, and they even get fines for it.
    There's no crying in baseball!

You're probably right, it doesn't seem to happen much in football, but either there's some strange law of the universe that turns people's limbs into spaghetti if they get touched near the sideline or dudes be acting.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Icon

The actual sports franchise is a part of the greater community. The greater community is the collective “we”. The fans are not part of the franchise, but they make up the majority of the community. At least that’s my view of it.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    It sure is trivial but it drives me nuts!
    The royal WE of fandom just indicates a certain inflated sense of self importance or arrogance when certain people speak it. When a fan speaks of team with such familiarity it makes that fan sound full of themselves.

Some local media, that I don't much respect, speak in this fashion.

Dobber Sports Sage

YES! 100% This is actually a bigger pet peeve than anything I listed. The HF Forums are ridiculous with this with all the "we" and "we're." You are not part of the team or the front office.

Another thing I could add is sports superstitions. NOTHING you do is going to impact the outcome of the game. It doesn't matter if you are at the game, wearing your "lucky" jersey, or sitting on your special spot on the couch. Nothing you do is causal. And sports broadcasters and writers- You don't jinx anything that happens. If the broadcaster mentions a no-hitter is going on, it's not going to impact the pitcher. I cringe every time I hear these stupid comments.
    Last edited by Daydream Nation; June 15, 2023 at 9:55 PM. Reason: more detail
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov