Thread: Incoming Pietrangelo Suspension?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Incoming Pietrangelo Suspension?

Will Pietrangelo get the automatic 10 game suspension for leaving the penalty box to join a scrum?

Rule 70.10 states that "the first player to leave the players or penalty bench illegally during an altercation of for the purpose of starting an altercation from either or both teams shall be suspended AUTOMATICALLY without pay for the next ten regular league and/or playoff games of his team."

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

The Great One

Default Re: Incoming Pietrangelo Suspension?

It does seem cut and dry. Which means the NHL will f it up invariably.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Initiate

..since it says "or", I think Vegas will choose suspension of the next 10 regular season games.

edit: ...slightly more serious - he left the box after the game whistle was blown. Was he leaving it illegally? Doesn't seem clear cut.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    ..since it says "or", I think Vegas will choose suspension of the next 10 regular season games.

edit: ...slightly more serious - he left the box after the game whistle was blown. Was he leaving it illegally? Doesn't seem clear cut.
    Doesn't matter. The rulebook says he is allowed to leave the penalty box after the whistle to proceed directly to the dressing room. As soon as he gets involved in the scrum, he has left the penalty box illegally and thus should get an automatic 10 game suspension. This is covered by a number of rules including 70.4 which states, "At a stoppage of player following the expiration of their penalties, if a player or players exiting the penalty bench get involved in an altercation, those coming from the penalty bench shall be assessed the penalties they incur in addition to a game misconduct and a ten game suspension as outlined in 70.10. (unless an opponent is deemed the instigator of the altercation, which is not the case here as the altercation was already under way before Pietrangelo left the penalty box)

Dobber Sports Star

It should be cut and dried, but I think they'll give Draisaitl a suspension for letting his wrists get in the way of Pietrangelo's stick first.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I haven't heard much on this so I doubt he's getting one.

Dobber Sports Icon

The most likely result is that Pietrangelo is NOT suspended and the Oilers need to send the Flames a 3rd round pick.