Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [SIGN and TRADE] Severson to CBJ

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default [SIGN and TRADE] Severson to CBJ

Holy cow. First Provorow. Now Severson.

Severson, a pending unrestricted free agent, is set to sign an eight-year contract, which will reportedly carry an annual cap hit of $6.25 million, as part of the trade.
    https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/tradecentre/b...rade-1.1971140

Administrator

Default Re: Rumour - [SIGN and TRADE] Severson to CBJ

Probably too much term and trade protection for a 29-year-old, but this is pretty much the going rate for #3 defensemen. In the last two years Weegar, H Lindholm, Parayko, Pelech, Pulock, Ekholm, Sanheim, Pionk, Gavrikov, have all signed for at least $5.5M and Gavrikov signed for only two years thinking he's going to get an even bigger bag in a couple of years when the cap spikes. Obviously some of these guys are at a higher tier than others, but the point is these proven veteran D are getting big time dollars in UFA. The price certainly isn't going down. Any chance to lock a guy up before the cap spike should be taken seriously. Won't be long before guys like this are getting $7M with term. Well everyone but John Klingberg.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Probably too much term and trade protection for a 29-year-old, but this is pretty much the going rate for #3 defensemen. In the last two years Weegar, H Lindholm, Parayko, Pelech, Pulock, Ekholm, Sanheim, Pionk, Gavrikov, have all signed for at least $5.5M and Gavrikov signed for only two years thinking he's going to get an even bigger bag in a couple of years when the cap spikes. Obviously some of these guys are at a higher tier than others, but the point is these proven veteran D are getting big time dollars in UFA. The price certainly isn't going down. Any chance to lock a guy up before the cap spike should be taken seriously. Won't be long before guys like this are getting $7M with term. Well everyone but John Klingberg.
    So THAT explains Detroit paying Chiarot $4.75 mil....

Dobber Sports Star

I completely understand retooling their defense after Jackets were exposed badly after their rash of injuries

.....but dont they need top 6 centres more? Maybe they move their younger/prospect D for a C now
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    I completely understand retooling their defense after Jackets were exposed badly after their rash of injuries

.....but dont they need top 6 centres more? Maybe they move their younger/prospect D for a C now
    I hear PLD is available...............

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Probably too much term and trade protection for a 29-year-old, but this is pretty much the going rate for #3 defensemen.
    Wasn't Severson more of a 5-6th D on NJ last season? It appeared to be a pretty significant over payment, especially for that term, to me. I'm no expert, but I think it's going to ugly in just a few years.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post

They've been linked to Kevin Hayes.

I'm not sure if this duct taping of a team is going to work but I guess we'll see

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    They've been linked to Kevin Hayes.

I'm not sure if this duct taping of a team is going to work but I guess we'll see
    Yes... please take Hayes off of the Flyers hands!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    Wasn't Severson more of a 5-6th D on NJ last season? It appeared to be a pretty significant over payment, especially for that term, to me. I'm no expert, but I think it's going to ugly in just a few years.
    They did use him on the third pair last season, but he was still top-4 among their defensemen in usage, has utility in all three game states, is only a year removed from leading them in TOI, and is clearly coming into Columbus to fill that #2-3 role, paired with either Werenski or Provorov.

That's why I say teams need to be locking guys up now because the price isn't falling. Look at teams like Edmonton with Bouchard, Colorado with Byram, NYR with Miller or some options closer to UFA like Carolina's Skjei/Pesce, Seattle's Dunn, or Florida's Montour/Forsling. Not all these guys will or should get the bag. But the sooner you can lock in a contract the for the ones who deserve it, the happier you will be.

But, you're right these things can and often do age poorly. Colton Parayko is one year into his similar 8-year pact and it is already looking ugly.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: [SIGN and TRADE] Severson to CBJ

This trade makes perfect sense when you Babcock it. Why would you have Jiricek and Mateychuk flounder under him when you can pay a veteran who has plenty of experience making the same mistakes they would?

Good move by NJ getting something from nothing.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

The Great One

So is it bad they are already feeling the need to insulate their young players from their a-hole coach?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

Whoever gets Boqvist - and I do expect him to be moved - might have a real gem on their hands. As for centers, is Texier coming back? He's the forgotten man, and could figure into the mix.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    This trade makes perfect sense when you Babcock it. Why would you have Jiricek and Mateychuk flounder under him when you can pay a veteran who has plenty of experience making the same mistakes they would?

Good move by NJ getting something from nothing.
    Yes great move by the Devils. Let another team overpay. Sever son is a serviceable D but not for that price point. With Luke Hughes and Bahl inserting themselves in, this is a good move. Let Babcock handle these overpriced players.

The Great One

Man Columbus seemed to be trending up (absolutely atrocious Gubrandson contract aside) and this off season has been a complete and utter disaster. This team is going to be terrible. The Babcock hiring will probably age like the Barry Melrose experiment. But at least that felt fun and hopeful. This feels gross and sadistic.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Yes... please take Hayes off of the Flyers hands!
    OMG.... I would say Hayes could be had for free.